IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

So you're into vaporware-core, basically... *scoffs*

i only listen to vaporwave tracks made from other vaporwave tracks

nah but seriously i like two things about this genre usually

1. original compositions that sound like weird 90s anime soundtracks, video game music, or the korg wavestation

2. the general concept of art being sampled and radically recontextualized to make new art

what do you think about original muzak/smooth jazz/new age or original stock music? (within vaporwave of course-- although intentional muzak and smooth jazz can also be appreciated and vibed out to)

basically he likes my soundcloud

who doesn't? i love your soundcloud mang!

Edited by Lane Visitor

what do you think about original muzak/smooth jazz/new age or original stock music? (within vaporwave of course-- although intentional muzak and smooth jazz can also be appreciated and vibed out to)

Honestly I've sought out very little that was, like, intentionally that, but I do groove out to music made from dry synths & old midi sounds. I've enjoyed most of the stuff you've made for this thread, but more because it's well composed than for the aesthetic choices

OPINION ON MUZAKCORE AS OF YET UNDEVELOPED

woo woo big ups for the shea mcgilvray soundcloud, may its harvests be plentiful and its daughters marry men with striking facial hair

owen has a secret proto vaporwave term for this type of music that i shant disclose for it is not my right

ooh ohh i bet yer talkin bout bomberman music (though it may be one of several other phrases i made up to describe the tonal similarities between our trax). Short definition is music that sounds like bomberman music

But it's more than that, really. Music that conjures up worlds of low-poly three dimensional characters, vibrant colours & low-res textures, geometric platforms floating in space, rotating sparkly stuff that makes cool noises when you pick it up. There's a bigger metaphysical idea at play here too, but the 90s video game imagery is an easy short-hand for most folks

sometimes the sound that is triggered when you pick up an item is the most beautiful sound in the world.

there was one object that i never figured out, some kind of medallion, on Indigo Prophecy, that had the best pick up sound ever.

sometimes the sound that is triggered when you pick up an item is the most beautiful sound in the world.

the only thing I remember from the godfather the game is the cork pop sound when you pick up a health bottle

And uh most item sounds from zelda or rareware games. I went & ripped all the sounds from those a year or so back for sampling, but didn't get much use out of em. Too little manipulation and it stuck out obviously, too much and I may as well have been using my own synth bloops

if my modernist ethics weren't opposed to the use of signatures in forums, this would be mine.

i like your description of bomberman music, owen. that's what i like about vapour (and usually don't find, but I keep looking).

Edited by poblequadrat

But it's more than that, really. Music that conjures up worlds of low-poly three dimensional characters, vibrant colours & low-res textures, geometric platforms floating in space, rotating sparkly stuff that makes cool noises when you pick it up. There's a bigger metaphysical idea at play here too, but the 90s video game imagery is an easy short-hand for most folks

My siblings and I played this extensively in 1996, for hours. Part of some software suite my parents got with their Micron

micron_pc.jpg

My siblings and I played this extensively in 1996, for hours. Part of some software suite my parents got with their Micron

micron_pc.jpg

ME TOOO!!!!! i just rediscovered that the other day. the fucking music in that game was awesome. zum-gali-gali-gali

^nostalgia is a helluva drug, but there's a certain surreal feeling when it was such a deleted memory, more of an unwanted epiphany rather than some emotional longing that lead to a flashback

i mean that game and so many other forms of media - I spend hour and days absorbing and engaging with so much that I just simply never remembered long after, like "filler" time as a kid; it's funny how so many people seem to get all faux nostalgic over things they thought they enjoyed, or create some false personal past

regarding all of the vaporwave media, we share a lot of things here that may not be that directly familiar to us collectively, but we unconsciously understand and relate to when confronted with it

that's the general universal appeal of vaporwave I suppose - it's the nostalgic feelings you never sought nor intended to explore but nonetheless are attracted to because they are familiar: it's like personal memory meta-data

I'm not nostalgic about that game, I just am pissed that my family's old computers were sold/my friend accidentally wiped my os 9 powerpc's hard drive. I had so much kid pix art on it. Like really cool stuff.

Haha very true! Nice hunting! (:

libertarian https://twitter.com/j_arthur_bloom

as much as i can't stand most libertarians, they do have a better taste in art than casual conservatives

whooaaaaa

http://www.cmj.com/feature/qa-business-casual-87-label-founder-john-zobel/?utm_source=CMJ+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=42fb89027e-Weekly-May-8-2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2f471ed366-42fb89027e-212332269

and just saw these now...

http://www.cmj.com/news/stream-syllabuss-new-album-july/

http://www.cmj.com/news/listen-white-woods-u-say/

kinda strikes me as odd that a publication like cmj would write about vaporwave releases, considering the heavy sampling w no crediting going on in much of the genre... apparently its popular and groundbreaking enough to get press despite these things... this, to me, seems like kind of a big deal. Wired could do a little blurb on vaporwave, and I wouldnt be shocked, but CMJ feels like a new boundary.

Edited by Lane Visitor

YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:32

AND THEN

:47

YYYYYEEEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

(BEEN TRYING TO KEEP THIS TRACK I STUMBLED INTO, A SECRET FOR YEARS, BUT I COULDNT HOLD BACK ANY LONGER)

Edited by Lane Visitor

Honestly I've sought out very little that was, like, intentionally that, but I do groove out to music made from dry synths & old midi sounds. I've enjoyed most of the stuff you've made for this thread, but more because it's well composed than for the aesthetic choices

OPINION ON MUZAKCORE AS OF YET UNDEVELOPED

woo woo big ups for the shea mcgilvray soundcloud, may its harvests be plentiful and its daughters marry men with striking facial hair

owen has a secret proto vaporwave term for this type of music that i shant disclose for it is not my right

ooh ohh i bet yer talkin bout bomberman music (though it may be one of several other phrases i made up to describe the tonal similarities between our trax). Short definition is music that sounds like bomberman music

By the way, by the sound of it, the Megaman 8 OST might've been composed by the same guy who did Bomberman Hero...

Motivations for this:

1) To see if I could actually upload a 10 hour-long video to youtube.

2) So that people may have 10 hours of non-stop sunsetcorp.

http://youtu.be/Iu2k6ZrSMYg

I don't know why you don't get into this stuff in a serious way. I'd be interested to see what you could do.

I'm not nostalgic about that game, I just am pissed that my family's old computers were sold/my friend accidentally wiped my os 9 powerpc's hard drive. I had so much kid pix art on it. Like really cool stuff.

Ah, being aware of destroyed/lost creative output is some heavy shit.