IGNORED

Fenriz - Band of the week

joshuatxuk

One of my favorite musicians - Fenriz of Darkthrone - has a newish website and associated FB page where he posts his personal "best of" finds of obscure and rare metal bands.

tumblr_m9w8vofnYu1rfiwv0o1_500.jpg

Besides being a legend within the black metal community, and easily the most rational and humble of the innovators, he's a avid music listener. He works as a mail sorter (both he and Darkthrone member Nocturno Culto refuse to give up their day jobs or tour for money) and listens to something like 10 hours of music a day, including stuff he rips off demo cassettes and other analog formats, and now he's recommending his best finds. I personally never get listen to enough metal to call myself a proper metalhead but what I do like just about everything Fenriz name-checks - he's a proper expert on the subject.

He's also an electronic music fan - he had an underrated ambient synth project called Neptune Towers in the 90s and I read in a recent interview that he prefers Squarepusher's version of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" to the original. Anyway, well worth checking out. I figure some of you would want to check it out, I know other fans of him and BM in general are on watmm.

Yes yes, I was in doubt about making this thread as well, it is well deserved. This man is just all about passion and love for music.

Not very suprising when you see my avatar, but he has been one of my biggest inspirations in life for about ten years now. I don't listen to alot of metal anymore like I used to, I only check out recommandations by some friends in the know and Fenriz now.

He used to list every newly bought music every month, alot of metal ofcourse but also alot of Rephlex things, which suprised me. That evolved into the band of the week thing, which he still runs from his myspace (lol), and I discovered so many good music through that; Obliteration, Nekromantheon, Diskord (isn't that the band of a watmm'er here? I can remember something like that), Negative Plane, The Devil's Blood, Jex Thoth, blablabla. I also had mailcontact with him a few times in 2007 or 2008, talking about his AMAZING mixes and how he should do a 'dancy' one (he did last year or so). All those mixes are really worth checking out.

386874_10152043025515427_1310250196_n.jp

Yes yes, I was in doubt about making this thread as well, it is well deserved. This man is just all about passion and love for music.

Not very suprising when you see my avatar, but he has been one of my biggest inspirations in life for about ten years now. I don't listen to alot of metal anymore like I used to, I only check out recommandations by some friends in the know and Fenriz now.

He used to list every newly bought music every month, alot of metal ofcourse but also alot of Rephlex things, which suprised me. That evolved into the band of the week thing, which he still runs from his myspace (lol), and I discovered so many good music through that; Obliteration, Nekromantheon, Diskord (isn't that the band of a watmm'er here? I can remember something like that)

Yo, that was me.

Cool that he's into Rephlex, didn't know that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Archived