IGNORED

Exai reviews

Franciscus

"Nearly two decades later, the duo have returned with their first album under a new Conservative parliament" (http://thewhaleshipglobe.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/review-autechre-exai-warp234.html)

Lol, is this kid a left wing nutcase or what?

Kind of OT, (and don't know about thewhaleship critic) but Autechre are somewhere on the left wing nutcase spectrum themselves, eh? The Anti Ep sounds like it at least. And I think they said in an interview somewhere that LCC on untitled was named after the very 'left' London County Council (guys who set up the barbican in London).

I don't think Tories are ever going to be very popular around Rochdale, anyway...

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of OT, And I think they said in an interview somewhere that LCC on untitled was named after the very 'left' London County Council

I'm not sure about this. I emailed the Autechre track name meaning site when I saw "LCC London County Council" written on the side of a building in Hackney and suggested that could possibly be the meaning of the acronym as they were Londoners at the time, but as I recall they've never said that in an interview.

Guest Aserinsky

"Nearly two decades later, the duo have returned with their first album under a new Conservative parliament" (http://thewhaleshipglobe.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/review-autechre-exai-warp234.html)

flol, as someone who is probably considered a left wing nutcase, this was incredibly difficult to read. For me it seems a desperate attempt to attribute a political ideology for no other reason than to forward the ideals of the reviewer, which for me seems both a rather dangerous way of analysing art and pretty pretentious, like the reviewer wanted to show off their consistency of analysing politics but knew their arguments weren't strong enough, so they veiled their arguments by clutching straws through music reviews. If the politics is specifically relevant to the music please mention it, but introducing it like that just seems in honesty rather petty.

think this is a new 1

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/02/10/autechre-exai-2013/

btw this review touches on something i've been meaning to ask (this is no doubt jazz but cant be arsed to search ) he says in the review there is no way of telling who does what, but i often read on here the idea that Sean is more beats and Rob is more melodies (or is that the other way round?) where do people get that idea from? Has this been mentioned in interviews somewhere or did someone just dream it up one day?

Anyhow am loving Exai so far.. I love how it is really accessible but also dense and deep at the same time. If this grows on me like most Ae does it could well end up being my fav album by them but far too early to say.

Also concur with people saying how this a very different listen on headphones than blasted on a system. Both sound awesome but it’s almost like listening to a different album which is weird..

but i often read on here the idea that Sean is more beats and Rob is more melodies (or is that the other way round?) where do people get that idea from? Has this been mentioned in interviews somewhere or did someone just dream it up

There was an interview around quaristice where Sean said he tends to lean toward beats and rob tends to be more atmosphere/abstract melodies

But it is by no means black and white between them

Guest Lucy Faringold

but i often read on here the idea that Sean is more beats and Rob is more melodies (or is that the other way round?) where do people get that idea from? Has this been mentioned in interviews somewhere or did someone just dream it up

i did a phone interview with Sean when Oversteps was released and he mentioned that about 60% of the tracks they did were solo efforts (i.e. not collaborative at all) which I thought was interesting.

Guest Lucy Faringold

I think you have the percentages backwards, wasn't it that 40% were solo?

I'm pretty sure it was 60% solo. I specifically remember him initially saying "it's about 50/50," then pausing and saying (iirc): "actually probably more like 60/40 solo."

I could be wrong though. i don't have the transcript to hand.

Guest Lucy Faringold

Lucy, is that phone interview available somewhere?

The stuff about who does what didn't make the feature (only about a third of what's said in a half-hour interview makes it into print). I don't generally link to stuff with my real name on because I prefer forum anonymity.

"In spite of the twists and turns of their history Autechre are nothing if not consistent. Each release bears their unmistakeable hallmark. However, with Exai they’ve created a work which reveals renewed faith in their own identity and which should act as compass in years to come."

...just read the exai review in the new wire mag (march 2013). they liked it! :biggrin:

flol, as someone who is probably considered a left wing nutcase, this was incredibly difficult to read. For me it seems a desperate attempt to attribute a political ideology for no other reason than to forward the ideals of the reviewer, which for me seems both a rather dangerous way of analysing art and pretty pretentious, like the reviewer wanted to show off their consistency of analysing politics but knew their arguments weren't strong enough, so they veiled their arguments by clutching straws through music reviews. If the politics is specifically relevant to the music please mention it, but introducing it like that just seems in honesty rather petty.

indeed

Archived