IGNORED

Exai reviews

Franciscus

exai review by ZOMBY (on twitter)

- I like exai I just wish each track started 3 mins in...calm before the storm but i just want all storm

- i made my own version of exai to listen 2 i just chopped all the tracks in half and fade em in

-

are you shitting me...

lol yea. wtf

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I find it sad that music writers are incapable of saying anything thoughtful about this album. For example this piece of shit was just delivered to my inbox

High priests at the temple of bleep, Sean Booth and Rob Brown (aka Autechre) are back again with their distinctive brand of abstract electronica. Their 11th album Exai is an intense double disc of forward-thinking, laser-guided melodies that exist at the intersection of the advanced mathematical equations of their recent work and the more accessibly melodic ambient techno produced on early albums such as Incunabula and Amber. To the initiated, much of this album will sound like R2D2 vomiting nuts and bolts after a night on the town with Bender. It will take time to attune your ears to Exai and understand the alien language it speaks. Listening to it on expensive headphones or a big sound system reveals the exquisite sound design and attention to the fine details of the mix.

The album’s opener Fleure is a dense fug of electronic noise that cryptically hangs in the air.irlite (get 0) leads us into an inaccessible soundscape of digital noise that pleasingly melts into luscious ambient tech. The epic dubsteppin’ Bladelores set in deep outerspace is easily the best track while much of the rest of this album puts a bomb under hip hop and electro such that it feels we are listening to atomised versions of these rhythm templates. Autechre subsequently push the envelope and blast the results with extraordinary amounts of radiation to create a monstrously mutant sound that acquires a life of its own. The second disc is perhaps more accessible and spl9 and runrepik are classic examples of machined music that allows playful bleeps to run amok. This album hangs like modern art in a gallery; sometimes you may not comprehend the intent but it’s worthwhile to stand back and ponder.

Guido Farnell

Jesus Christ. I genuinely feel sorry for you Guido, your head is buried in the sand.

*goes back to not reading music reviews*

why is "electronica" suddenly a bad word? Oh I see, you prefer "intelligent dance music", yes that's much better.

Tbh I don't see anything really wrong, or offensive about that review.

why is "electronica" suddenly a bad word? Oh I see, you prefer "intelligent dance music", yes that's much better.

Tbh I don't see anything really wrong, or offensive about that review.

It's a big bundle of autechre-review cliches and it doesn't manage to convey anything meaningful about the album. That makes it wrong and offensive. I haven't been closely reading most of the reviews in this thread up til now, but if they're like this then they're wrong and offensive too. It's probably naive of me to expect anything else from the "music journalism" racket, but I strongly feel that if you're being paid to write about other people's artwork you should take the job more seriously.

I use the word electronica. Actually, most of the time I just say "electronic music".

What's wrong with electronica though? Got a better word? IDM is probably the most obnoxious term ever created. It's pure wank.

• 1 month later...

pretty good review, and the guy seemed like a die-hard AE fan until i read this passage

it is one of the very few moments I can recall in their catalogue that makes use of the human voice

stopped me in my tracks, how could he possibly write something like that when they've been using voice samples continuously for their whole career?

His discussion of Draft was really nice, so many assholes just ignore that album. But:

‘bladelores’, the aptly-chosen closing track of the first disc (if you happen to listen in such an outmoded medium), is one of the finest twelve minutes of the group’s twenty year career

wtf

Take any 12 minutes of Autechre's career and compare it with bladelores. Now drink a glass of Clamato juice, put slinky's on your cat's feet and giggle like a schoolgirl on the roof of your house while wearing a manatee costume. Trust me on this one.

‘bladelores’, the aptly-chosen closing track of the first disc (if you happen to listen in such an outmoded medium), is one of the finest twelve minutes of the group’s twenty year career

Nope. It's nice and all but it's not THAT good. Nuane, Surripere, 6852, and a bunch over the 10 min mark and beyond 12 mins that take bladelores and shoves it up Nathaniel Stopin's left nostril and down his eighth throat into the stomach nicknamed by the Sachniens as Denver, which is a real location in the southern hills of Dhurbenhoward, a historic land that was once the burial grounds of an old Hetonic tribe called the F‹ˆ›Î⁄° who were slaves of the much stronger Hetonic tribe only known as the Surripe ones, because there is very little in terms of archaeological evidence that was left behind by these people (walking Gary's) which is certainly a problem for historians like Nathaniel Stopin who works exclusively in the the field of Ancient Hetonic Tribes, a work that pays very little but it very rewarding to the very hard working.

Nope. It's nice and all but it's not THAT good. Nuane, Surripere, 6852, and a bunch over the 10 min mark and beyond 12 mins that take bladelores and shoves it up Nathaniel Stopin's left nostril and down his eighth throat into the stomach nicknamed by the Sachniens as Denver, which is a real location in the southern hills of Dhurbenhoward, a historic land that was once the burial grounds of an old Hetonic tribe called the F‹ˆ›Î⁄° who were slaves of the much stronger Hetonic tribe only known as the Surripe ones, because there is very little in terms of archaeological evidence that was left behind by these people (walking Gary's) which is certainly a problem for historians like Nathaniel Stopin who works exclusively in the the field of Ancient Hetonic Tribes, a work that pays very little but it very rewarding to the very hard working.

Thank you! I'm starting to think this subforum is infested with, like, M83 fans or something.

Archived