IGNORED

Exai reviews

Franciscus

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did that reviewer just say that Confield was the worst of both worlds?

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

to me what's so baffling about that comment is that the Wire is very friendly to a lot of straight avant-garde and electro acoustic music. How could they knock on something which in my mind is a perfect union between the very experimental and traditional electronic music structure?

That wire review was one of the worst I've ever read. Seriously 80% of it was just a history lesson on Autechre. Can we get past the history in these reviews more quickly and deal directly with the album at hand? I'd hate to see how much of a history lesson the reviews will be if these boys keep it coming for another 20 years.

screw "professional journalism"

there are plenty of other places on the net, like here on watmm or amazon. I love reading these more down to earth, subjective and often overly fantastical user reviews. Tend to be much more colourful, fun to read and full of great observations.

let's hear it from the man in the street! (sorry couldn't find the monty python sketch)

at least I didnt actually waste my time reading that or this review. as been said, reviews here at watmm, or better phrase "impressions" are more interesting and fun to read than professional reviews. more specifically impressions from people you have grown to mutually share musical tastes with are most valuable and really the main component to those is thumps up or down. try before buy, its the 21st century you know, I'm not going down to the local concert hall to hear the AE conduct their newest symphony. I also don't have a subscription to the wire and have maybe read an article from it once or twice in my life. "critics" are becoming more and more useless with the age of immediacy and taste finders.

the wire is embarrassing. yeah, they are in touch with the best music and the widest selection, but they're hipster elitists and they don't really understand the truth about music at the basic level

at least I didnt actually waste my time reading that or this review. as been said, reviews here at watmm, or better phrase "impressions" are more interesting and fun to read than professional reviews. more specifically impressions from people you have grown to mutually share musical tastes with are most valuable and really the main component to those is thumps up or down. try before buy, its the 21st century you know, I'm not going down to the local concert hall to hear the AE conduct their newest symphony. I also don't have a subscription to the wire and have maybe read an article from it once or twice in my life. "critics" are becoming more and more useless with the age of immediacy and taste finders.

absolutely. ab so fucking lutely man.

critics in this day and age should fuck off.

let me correct that: we're all critics. what does this mean?

well, first off: SOME CRITICS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS

but let me tell you, just because a critic works for PITCHFORK or WIRE does NOT at all make them an authentic, good critic

it has been democratized

we will not see serious progression in culture until there is a new critical format

that doesn't hand out artificial authority to people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about to sell shitty products

screw "professional journalism"

there are plenty of other places on the net, like here on watmm or amazon. I love reading these more down to earth, subjective and often overly fantastical user reviews. Tend to be much more colourful, fun to read and full of great observations.

Yup. Feedback is best delivered from the bottom up, not from the top on down. Reviews coming from people who actually listen to and care about the music have better quality than those from some posh critic who gets paid to make the reviews but may be clueless as to what the fan base is like.

And that idea isn't limited to music.

LOL - Yeah the old 'Confield is the best' bandwagon. That bandwagon that the millions and billions of Autechre fans worldwide have jumped on because they're mindless sheep.

If you're gonna review 'chre..... at least MENTION THE FUCKING LIVE SHOWS ......... its such an integral part of what they are....

Still at least the Wire review came out favorable after all the back-story ramblings .....

The Wire review of Exai...

Thanks for posting this one (I actually quite appreciated the references back to their early interest in hip hop, etc, and would just have appreciated a longer review to allow for more 'Exai' material at the end...)

Anyway, like many above I totally disagree with the negative opinion of Confield: I'm definitely ON the bandwagon with that one. (And Farmers Manual too!) Given the reference to Bayle's obscure Erosphere, I get the impression that certain factions of the Wire magazine club want to preserve the cache of the truly avant stuff for themselves, and that any such aspirations from a Warp Records artist will be dismissed as 'geeky avant tendencies'... Ho hum.

Just out of interest, does the original review name the critic?

It's interesting how parts of the Wire review suggest that the author was in a perfect position to write an informative and excellent review of "Exai". Instead, he claims that "Confield" was the worst of both worlds. I should have stopped reading at that point; next time, I'll trust my intuitions. I mean, seriously, just because Autechre doesn't play a melody that says "This is the part when you should feel sad" or "Now you should feel happy", this guy concludes that their music is not about emotion. Fucking false dilemma. One thing I appreciate about Autechre is that their music encourages a wide range of subtle emotional responses.

What is it about Autechre that they have now inspired the two worst reviews I've ever read in my life (this Wire one and the Pitchfork one about "Untilted")?

that is a good one, but it sounds like it was written by someone on watmm, heh (use of the word hypnagogic for one). It's also kind of impenetrable for someone who doesn't already like the band - for example, the line "epic closer in the vein of Drane 2". Well, if you'd never heard ae before, that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense...I think it also steals a line from one of those "foreign language reviews" (the spanish or italian one) that talked about leaving Booth and Brown "perfectly poised for whatever step they take next". But yeah, overall good review.

Archived