IGNORED

Remix competition: 4001

mcbpete

Guest matrigs

wow, very cool indeed, both versions have exciting aspects.

have you considered maybe using bits of both of them for a final hymnic approach?

like, for instance, take (roughly) the first half of preliminary2, followed by (roughly) the first third of mix1, then intercut the remainder of both alternatingly in a wise manner... i could imagine this would result in a very intense build-up of energy that would match mr. jenkinson's work, to say the least. just an idea.

well that might be some idea. but this might be a bit tedious to do. i would have to export both tracks and open a third session and mix them down. problem is that in case i would want to change one element, i would have to open the according previous session, change it and re-export it.

but yeah i would definitely want to have the track build up more. i'm actually thinking about tossing that half-speed part in the middle as it breaks the flow imho, and the drop afterwards just isn't powerful enough.

i would also want to try to kind of recreate the buildup in 3/4 of the machinedrum remix.

on a different note, has any of you fine knob-twiddling gentlemen tried to work with these .wav-file stems in logic? i find it baffling that in logic i can't get to play them other than at what seems to be half-speed (dub-like effect)

any knowledgeable hints?

watmms, plz?

i don't know anything about logic tbh, but i might have an idea: the samples are in 96khz, but you most probably have 48khz or 41khz selected on your sound card. ableton handles this pretty good, but maybe in logic you have to reconvert the tracks or choose 96khz on your soundcard preferences.

that would be pretty dumb though. even fruity loops handles this pretty well.

also - why logic if i may ask? it's powerful for recording and mixing stuff but imho it's just so un-fun to use for making electronic music.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest matrigs

Nice one. Yeah let's get a ton of unfinished versions in this thread. Here's what I got so far.

Nice approach - just watch your levels in the second part as the pads and the bass come in quite high.

Also - you definitely should use the kickdrum as another melodic element and play it like an instrument, or at least automate the pitch.

here's my first draft.....

4001-keyfumbler VIP

Aha, brilliant.

Do you guys think it would be massively illegal or something to put together an under-the-table watmm comp of non-winning (assuming none of us win, well maybe impaky or matroska [you know who I mean] will win) entries to this contest? You know, just so we could all have each other’s mixes in nice quality? Otherwise all these zany mixes go into oblivion, you know?

http://we.tl/d0ooEmvheH

first draft of the mix.

Good first post. Are you Oval?

See? What a shame it would be to only hear this once.

All these wild things you guys are doing are making me want to start over.

EDIT: AHAHA love the cheeky cymbal stuff you do at the end. I guess maybe it’s only funny to people who’ve heard the stems?

Do you guys think it would be massively illegal or something to put together an under-the-table watmm comp of non-winning (assuming none of us win, well maybe impaky or matroska [you know who I mean] will win) entries to this contest? You know, just so we could all have each other’s mixes in nice quality? Otherwise all these zany mixes go into oblivion, you know?

Great idea, I would definitely download that

This be the 3rd attempt of mine, first two were wayyy different....already know what I'm changing to it as I didn't spend too much time on it, but it is what it is :/

Also, I totally support doing an album with watmm's remixes!!!!

Great remixes guys, keep pushing em. I think someone from this site needs to win.

4001remix 3.mp3

Guest placidburp

These are great!

I have started 2 remixes so far, got bored with both but whacked em on soundcloud. Might finish them tomorrow.

Archived