IGNORED

All is fair in love and war

lumpenprol

ok this is me doing a troon thread. Just curious what people think of this saying. Seems to me it seems like one of the more untrue ones. Another would be "whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger". How do people interpret it? Any other weird sayings out there?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

normally said by someone who's done something underhand or hurt someone in the process of getting what they want.

This. I kept saying it to myself after falling in love and running off with my bass player's fiancé.

normally said by someone who's done something underhand or hurt someone in the process of getting what they want.

When used, I'd consider it a warning. It's both an announcement and there's an implied volatility as well.

I think goDel is right here. Historically, I think the phrase is supposed to mean "watch out for people in love, they'll do weird stuff" not "Well it was okay because I was in love so nyaa". Maybe the meaning's been corrupted over time though.

"All's fair in love and war" = "There's no such thing as "fair" in love and war"

imo

"Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" = "You're hurt but you gained an experience, use it to protect yourself"

:shrug:

"All's fair in love and war" = This is about rape.

"Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" = This is about rape.

"Don't count your chickens before they hatch." = someone expressing that they are pro-choice, stem-cell research, etc.

This. I kept saying it to myself after falling in love and running off with my bass player's fiancé.

True say man. I said the same thing when running away with my fiancés bass player.

definitely not. we as a society hve developed many regulations concerning both love and war. these have evolved over time - for example the use of chemical weapons is no longer considered acceptable, neither is clubbing some girl over the head dragging her back to your cave.

brief cause im on the cellular communication device.

"Blood is thicker than water" is a true statement about the relative viscosity of fluids.

"The whole is greater than the sum of the parts" is an alternate interpretation of math, that ought to be taught alongside the conventional approach in schools. Teach the controversy!

Guest chunky

sucks to be a loser. great to be a winner. win-win situations? yes yes, but how do you win-win a woman? ew, disgusting. sun tzu said all warfare is based on deception, which is sad, but it's even sadder to have your side be wiped off the face of the earth. alexander the great achieved a lot, a winner of history, but a very brutal person.

what about assad in syria? theres no way he'd use chemical weapons on his own people and give israel an excuse to hijack his country by deception. no leader could be so stupid. but all kinds of respectable western institutions promote these lies. if assad has no means to defeat even the simplest of lies, then does he deserve to be a ruler of a country? it's not as if there's a world police force that can enter the scene and punish lies and promote truth. when a lion hunts a gazelle, it doesn't matter if the lion used deceipt or not (like pretend to run in one direction and then have his friend pounce from the other side), it just matters that the gazelle is having his guts eaten up by the lions.

there are concepts like chivalry and nobility that ought to be revived for these times

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/09/living/higher-call-military-chivalry

"All's fair in love and war" = "There's no such thing as "fair" in love and war"

imo

yeah, that's the way I take it. I mainly find it a weird saying because it even introduces the concept of "fair". It should just be "chaos reigns in love and war" or something like that (preferably said by a fox as in Antichrist). Once you introduce the concept of "fair" then it sounds weird, as if "anything is permitted in love and war", which should obviously not be true (normatively speaking). Funny thing is, when it comes to love at least, I think many (most?) people try to do the "right thing", but end up getting fucked up anyway...heh...

Until some fucker comes up to me (in actual physical fucking form) and says here are the fucking rules I created the universe, I'm not willing to accpet any religious bullshit currently bandied around on earth, so really I just look at the world and I'm like, right how do I manipulate this fucker for my own selfish gains.

Archived