IGNORED

2013 - The Best Year For Electornic Music In Recorded History?

Redruth

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would say the future is bright, as there are few if any female writers of prominence and very little writing coming out of africa, asia or the middle east. sf has a lot of growth potential as long as it doesn't turn to the kind of future/tech fetishism that you seem to be interested in.

coming from someone who clearly has a lot more interest and knowledge about scifi writing than I do I can understand if the future/tech fetishism focus rubbed you the wrong way. I'll admit that this maybe somewhat novelty aspect of science fiction is what I was comparing to electronic music and music's relationship with technology in terms of not just gadgets that make tasks easier but the technology itself shaping and expanding the ability for an artist or musician to bring his or her vision into reality. And if you thought my post was 'weird' i think probably because that Walt Disney version of science fiction is very aesthetically pleasing to me.

"Perhaps within the next hundred years, science will perfect a process of thought transference from composer to listener. The composer will sit alone on the concert stage and merely 'think' his idealized conception of his music. Instead of recordings of actual music sound, recordings will carry the brainwaves of the composer directly to the mind of the listener." —Raymond Scott, 1949

I'm beginning to think that Scott's concept might actually come true, we still have until 2049.

"Perhaps within the next hundred years, science will perfect a process of thought transference from composer to listener. The composer will sit alone on the concert stage and merely 'think' his idealized conception of his music. Instead of recordings of actual music sound, recordings will carry the brainwaves of the composer directly to the mind of the listener." —Raymond Scott, 1949

I'm beginning to think that Scott's concept might actually come true, we still have until 2049.

That would be amazing, though that could go for visual media as well, right? In fact, at that point could glimpse into the mindset of an individual (which would reveal a lot about the psyches of humans and how much they vary)

I feel like the audio to MIDI technology is bound to expand, perhaps brainwaves being converted into some sort of audio output is next? I honestly have no idea on the current state of this in practice or theory though.

well what's interesting is the 'race' for visual art to imitate reality is still going strong, people are still trying to perfect a fully realistic human with CGI and things like that. We seem much closer to achieving that then we are in any way with sound, which is strange because sound has working in it's favor psychacoustic processing, our brain fills in far more information that isn't actually there VS visual processing. Technologically speaking emulation of reality with sound synthesis would not be very hard to achieve, it's just that there hasn't been any sort of economic framework to make people have a vested interest in this 'race'. Which is a shame to me because with a few major development pushes I think sampling as we know it will be a dead technology. Nobody will have to load in a 20gig sampling library to recreate an orchestra if you could just synthesize it 100% realistically.

Guest murphythecat8

with uziq, arca, kettel, boc, autechre, lapalux all stellar released, i do think 2013 is special.

however, 2001 will always stay at the top because of all kettels output of 2001: he released half a dozens masterpieces and then autechre, aphex, etc

2013 hasn't been the same for me musically. Electronic releases are beating the proverbial dead horse. It's becoming even more diluted with this new generation of listeners/producers where every kid has a pirated copy of ableton live

The only truly new thing I see on the horizon is the dismagazine.com aesthetic

2013 hasn't been the same for me musically. Electronic releases are beating the proverbial dead horse. It's becoming even more diluted with this new generation of listeners/producers where every kid has a pirated copy of ableton live The only truly new thing I see on the horizon is the dismagazine.com aesthetic

I don't get why people always feel the need to say, "pirated copy of this or that DAW" as if that is the reason their music sucks.

Guest skibby

Real IDM people build everything from scratch in notepad.

real idm people write in trinary directly to vacuum tube RAM by rapidly flipping the mains switch in the fuse box.

Guest murphythecat8

clearly, theres people in here who just like to talk crap, dissing everything, clsiming the old years was the best when they dont even listen to the tenth beign release today.

wow

lol. Well, I think we can all at least agree it's probably the best year for "electornic music", as claimed in the thread title. I guess maybe it's some new subgenre? I hope it's better than Trap. Jus sayin.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a fat, nasty ass. Do some people actually want to fuck that?

Standards people. Standards.

what the fuck, stevo. that is a beautiful ass.

I disagree my friend. Looks like too many taquitos for her. She should learn how to go jogging...? =/

I've never understood the infatuation with large amounts of stored body fat around womens asses and titties. I like firm women that understand exercise... =(

Archived