IGNORED

2013 - The Best Year For Electornic Music In Recorded History?

Redruth

This year's certainly turned out better than I expected. I'm still listening to Exai 6 months after digital release.

We all want it to be good but get a fucking grip. It's largely been rehashes of old groups. Where the fuck is the new shit? I love ae but come on its been twenty fucking years we need new groups. Seriously.

Another Autechre? You're asking too much. Statistics are NOT on our side. We have them already but if we would need someone as genius as Ae (i do consider them as a couple of Gs or at least one of them is) people with that level of talent are soooo rare. Psychologists say there's 1 on 1-4 million people in a GENERAL population. It's not just about high IQ (in which btw the highest levels correlate negatively ingenuity) that's why they're so rare. Not anytime soon i'd say.

You both make good points. As much as we're due for some newcomers in the electronic music scene, odds of one rivaling Ae's technical calibre are quite slim.

I also have to agree that previous years were pretty stellar for IDM/braindance/whatever. The latter half of the '90s was when Aphex and Squarepusher really shined I think. Ae and BoC have pretty much been strong since the start of their careers. 2001 was a strong year for sure, even with artists like Brothomstates, Funkstörung...Radiohead too, although I'm not sure they could be considered electronic. Also LFO back in 1991 and 2003, Team Doyobi in 2004 and 2006...there's more I could add but I'm just rambling at this point.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the new BOC album is the greatest album ever created (just stating facts here), I would agree.

Thanks for stating facts so I didn't have to.

I have learned from the best.

the question has certainly entered into my mind and, of course, it's only august

uh absolutely 100% no.

Best year for braindance possibly ever, so many good releases. For electronic music as a whole, I'm not so sure.

how so? Most of pioneers of the genre haven't out out anything this year. Do you mean Jodey Kendrick's homage aphex albums, i'm surprised that would be considered 'best' even though its pretty good

Dunno about the ridiculous superlatives but it has been the best year in at least a decade.

i actually trust your opinion so now i'm curious like i must have missed a bunch of good music

now now; this thread was never meant to spawn instant comparison. 2013 is more the 'tropical depression' that may or may not develop into the 'mature storm' and even then, still may never make land

Yeah it's been a great year so far, regarding long-awaited releases! Certainly way ahead of the last couple ones.

Hopefully get some more Bola & Edanticonf before the year ends..

Bola did post pretty much on January 1st that "new music will be released this year", so I reckon he'll manage!

Guest Rulohead32

nosaj thing autechre atoms for peace the knife james blake daft punk boards of canada µ-ziq iamamiwhoami oneohtrix point never chvrches kate boy OMG imagine if just one more afex

Jah, mang. 2012~2013 is definitely the start of another high point in all of electronic music; underground, as well as pop. It feels like late 90's, and due to etheric recycling of energetic patterns, we can somewhat predict what is to come in the following years; plus, nu tingz, as well. Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Prodigy, Moby, Fatboy Slim, Atari Teenage Riot-- but in nu form, nu artists, nu vibez.

Really digging the vibez of 2013, so it's a time for rejoicing and celebration and WOO'ing. Given that "a lot of us" have been making music since the 90's- and were influenced by the vibez of the times- I hope that some of us succeed in that regard, as well; fulfilling electronic music dreams that were started many years ago.

Nonsense, the early nineties were exciting times, sure there have been a bunch of releases this year, but there's nothing groundbreaking ,pushing the boundries of music. It's just a bunch of stuff that will fit neatly into whatever subgenres sound dictates.

Nonsense, the early nineties were exciting times, sure there have been a bunch of releases this year, but there's nothing groundbreaking ,pushing the boundries of music. It's just a bunch of stuff that will fit neatly into whatever subgenres sound dictates.

Yes!

In my opinion, electronic music this days is the same album over and over again. Nothing ground making, no one will remember 2013 in 2014 and in 10 years no one will even care about 2013.

The artificial Intelligence series (and all classic albums from that era) are fucking 20 years old and still relevant and people still love them and listen to them, i dont think people will be listening to the "classis" from 2013 in 20 years (and classic albums from the 90's will be 40 year olds and still more relevant than the "classics" from 2013)

The early 2000's were great too, it all went to shit when artists became lazier and less creative.

Goods have been delivered. If more goods are delivered, we'll have to re-calculate and compare the goodness to past years, take samples and aliquot them into their appropriate vials in a biosafety cabinet. Test for concentration, total organic carbon, decide whether to dilute or concentrate more, the make the apparatus for final fill before distribution to the IDM factory for further processing.

LOL, fuck no, how can you seriously ask that? 2001 was.

What's come out besides autechre and fluorescent grey anyway? I haven't been listening to very much new music recently.

Archived