IGNORED

Pixies - EP 1

Guest zaphod

hmmm, well, this is definitely not very good, but not really terrible either. it just sounds like the worst tracks on trompe le monde. it is recognizably the pixies. very bland, uninspired pixies, but what would anyone expect? love that review, some 27 year old acting like he was in london in the late 80s listening to surfer rosa. what an asshole. this is like 4/10. forgettable, probably on par with the other two tracks they released in the last decade.

meh

I don't get it, all this. It's not great, but Pixies were never very great.

Sorry. But it's not like Cocteau Twins or MBV. I really never got all this "Pixies" hype in the first place. To be honest, this release sounds about as bland/annoying as any other Pixies stuff my wife plays when it's her turn to drive.

Sorry, but it's true.

If Talking Heads or Devo did this, I could understand the rage. But again, the Pixies is not that caliber.

Actually, that Eno-Byrne Suburban Gospel album kinda felt that way to me.

lol, not even going to click links on this. I was listening to them at the end of the '80's-'90s, saw them live then too, and have no desire to sully those mammaries.

probably a good idea.

flol at pixies were never very great, sorry but its true. lol, ok bro.

OK, bro. I've yet to hear a great case to be made otherwise. But whatever. It's partly just a matter of taste, I suppose. I hate cheesy relativist moves like this, but what else do you have to offer in defense of your position that they were great? Some guy who made platinum selling albums said so? Your friends like them? They make references to surrealist films because they can't be bothered to read? They "rock". Fuck those arguments, "bro".

or like, i think they're great? i dunno, that's the best argument i can come up with. here's a few songs though, since you're being a bit of a cunt.

[youtubehd]q3jNZFcwdg0[/youtubehd]

^one of the best outro/codas in pop music. beautiful.

[youtubehd]jYUm5T8uQIY[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]a-yijmFWJFU[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]WBx9s5VnTN8[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]s2WhbTyvLYU[/youtubehd]

i could literally post another twenty tracks, all classics, but whatever. i don't form opinions based on friends or music critics, this is a case where the general consensus on a band lines up with my own opinion of them. they're fucking great, one of the best.

Well, that's the relativist move I was talking about. I would like to think that there are objective reasons why some music is better than others, but sometimes I despair of that. Sorry if I'm coming off like a cunt, but I really just don't know what reasons one can offer for some music over others anymore. I've thought about it very carefully, and I've presented papers at academic conferences on this issue, but it's something I waver on. No hard feelings; I just hate some arguments, and the "lol at you bro for not being cool and liking my kind of music" is a bit of a cunt move too.

Oh, I didn't catch your bandwagon fallacy at the end of your post. That's a bad argument, as well. I'm not buying that move.

what? lol, you're real hung up on the pixies being great. you made a cunty post about them "never being very good" which i think a lot of people would disagree with. but it's ok, you're trolling. i've done this same thing before, you're just taking this intellectual "i've written papers on music" lolworthy approach. i guess you're an authority and i'm a simpleton, rolling with the populist opinion. i'd love to see your "objective" take on why the pixies aren't "great". whatever "great" even means.

Don't make an ad hominem move. I've never said anything about being an authority, only that I've thought carefully about it, so you shouldn't dismiss me with a "bro" move. I've also never said that I can give an objective argument, either. Goddamnit. I said that I have some serious doubts that there is really any point to a conversation like this, given a cheesy relativist stalemate. But you had to go and make it personal, with some claim about me being a troll. I wasn't trying to be a cunt or a troll, i was only posting my honest opinion about the matter, in lieu of an argument.

This is pointless. No offense. I'm not calling you a simpleton, and I'm not calling myself an authority. Sorry to confuse you.

Oh, I guess now I'm calling you a simpleton. Hurry, better call attention to our personal characteristics. I must be trolling, since I disagree with the general bro consensus. FUCK>

Don't make an ad hominem move. I've never said anything about being an authority, only that I've thought carefully about it, so you shouldn't dismiss me with a "bro" move. I've also never said that I can give an objective argument, either. Goddamnit. I said that I have some serious doubts that there is really any point to a conversation like this, given a cheesy relativist stalemate. But you had to go and make it personal, with some claim about me being a troll. I wasn't trying to be a cunt or a troll, i was only posting my honest opinion about the matter, in lieu of an argument.

This is pointless. No offense. I'm not calling you a simpleton, and I'm not calling myself an authority. Sorry to confuse you.

Oh, I guess now I'm calling you a simpleton. Hurry, better call attention to our personal characteristics. I must be trolling, since I disagree with the general bro consensus. FUCK>

here's a question. why fucking post in a thread about a band you hate? i'm fine with you hating them, i'd actually agree if you hated this ep, which is the subject of the thread. but why troll up a thread with your objective "guys, actually, guys, the pixies suck, sorry to reign on your parade" cliche troll line? of course i'm going to make fun of that. and then saying you've written papers on the subject of musical taste, as if this adds credence to your trolling? just lol, fuck off.

that's enough internet for today.

I said they weren't that great, not that they suck. There's a distinction. I actually don't hate the Pixies. I just don't like them. There's a distinction there, too. I was genuinely curious about Pitchfork's review when you posted this. I checked it out. I revisited some Pixies material from the olden days. I watched a video from their new EP. I thought about it. I came to my opinion about the Pixies. I posted it. And I've ended up here. No hard feelings. I got called a cunt and dismissed as a bro. But I seriously wasn't trying to troll.

I was a huge pixies fan in high school (mid 90s). I was the only person I knew that liked them and that made me like them even more.

That said, I'm just not so excited about this.

Bagboy kinda sucked. Bam Thwok was good, but a bit meh.

Whatevs.

Here are my faves of olde (besides "Velouria... thanks Zaphod :beer: ) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Gt6FOpPPM

^ My favorite tune of theirs... and first I heard (on the "Pump Up The Volume" soundtrack... way back in the day)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piSCHBor_ow

^ speaking of codas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BLtLRTFimA

^ best scream ever @ 1:42-1:56

Just to chime into that argument, Pixies were great because they had a rawness and some convicingly batshit tendencies, but also the excellent tunes to back it all up. Makes you all stabby for one song and all swooning on the next. Compare them to a band from that time like Pavement, and their legendary status should confuse no one. Unless you secretly hate your wife and it's coming out as "I hate the Pixies", then I see the motivation behind your posts, but other than that, there's no shame in being wrong.

Archived