IGNORED

Thinking About Getting A Tattoo...Thoughts?

LimpyLoo

I've never seen a tattoo on someone and thought "Brilliant!" What's cool one minute is embarassing and lame the next. Plus, people who get them are usually too young to realize how many changes you can go through in just a couple of years. I'm only 26, but if I got a certain tattoo two years ago, I'd regret it now.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RadarJammer

I think a lot of people just get the tattoo bug and don't really know that they want *image* on their arm but they think they know that they want *tattoo* on their arm and then go about trying to find the right image for it

to those people I suggest: blood type and burial instructions

get sylvester stallone doing a backflip off a spike while robocop carries a ghost up a mountain.

this will forever remain the most beautiful line in watmm. always moves me to the core.

I concur. It always conjurs a tiny dollop of pre-cum at the tip of my penis.

I think a lot of people just get the tattoo bug and don't really know that they want *image* on their arm but they think they know that they want *tattoo* on their arm and then go about trying to find the right image for it

to those people I suggest: blood type and burial instructions

I want to do it as much for the experience as the actual tattoo.

If Aphex Twin were to die I'd probably get the logo somewhere on my leg but he still has plenty of time to do something horrific in the public eye so I'm holding off.

i think band/artist tattoos are a bad plan as are the following

unicorns

dolphins

tattoos of peoples faces

cartoons

celtics shit

sailor tattoos (fuckinell!)

naked ladies

flowers (usually)

text saying "deep shit" (unless it's a kubrick quote)

peoples names

words "describing yourself" (sweet jesus)

aliens

kanji :emb:

computer game graphics/characters

a spray of stars

anything on the face

you get the picture this list is not exhastive but if you avoid these you should be ok.

idealliy you want to get something completely unique that has been designed for you.

That's part of why I can't see myself getting one, nothing's been compelling enough for me to get it tattooed. I do like'em on other people, well some tattoos at least.

i don't think the flesh is sacred but I don't think iv'e ever seen a tattoo that did anyone's image any favors.

I saw a girl at a vision science conference who had a Kanizsa triangle illusion tattoo. That kind of made her look like a dedicated pro I suppose.

Would avoid personally. I have nothing against ink and some of the designs people get look incredible, but I don't think I'd ever be sure enough of wanting one that I wouldn't regret it down the road. Plus there's skin ageing to consider, and how that may affect the look of the tattoo as you get older.

Yeah, I worked with a guy that had full sleeves and all his ink was very clearly thought out and clever and I respect that. But it only looks "natural" on someone in their 20's. I can't imagine a guy in his 40's with the same ink.

Draw what you want (or have it drawn). Put it in a place where you can see it every day for two years. If you still want it, go for it!

I've never wanted anything for two years solid, so no tats for me.

i'm getting my first tattoo soon. i'm thinking of getting the pulsar map that carl sagan designed for the voyager golden record. not the most original idea, i know, but it's fucking awesome.

yeah that is fucking awesome and i think it's pretty unique

getting a tattoo, in my experience, is extremely personal. the input needed is yours. others can add to your decision but they will not make it happen.

this - the only exceptions to the individual thing are like, I dunno if you served in 'Nam and got the same unit tattoo as all of dead comrades or some shit. Or you're a 1%-er biker.

Just, I dunno, I think the older you get the more sure you will be or less prone to regret or disassociation. For example, I have a friend who got a Smashing Pumpkins heart tat back in high school before Billy Corgan fucking jumped the shark and made Smashing Pumpkins © a tribute band. My other friend has some pretty neat tattoos, large ones of Dr. Who and Star Trek, but as my wife said rather perfectly "it's a recap of her Netflix queue .____."

I will probably never get one, though my wife and I have talked about getting little paw prints whenever (hopefully like almost two decades) our cat and dog pass away. Sounds fucking stupid but I like the idea. I'll see.

I suppose that's a personal choice just as much as getting one, especially since socially tattoos are far more common and seemingly accepted than ever before - maybe I'm just in a town with a lot of people with noticeable ones, I dunno. For example, I know it's become so common that the US military had to liberalize their standards on where they could be applied in order to accept recruits)

I thought my friend's idea of tattooing a 12" ruler on his penis was pretty funny. But then he became a she, so it never happened.

Huh. You know, technically she could of still had her penis tattooed.

and used it as a penis ruler

I thought my friend's idea of tattooing a 12" ruler on his penis was pretty funny. But then he became a she, so it never happened.

Huh. You know, technically she could of still had her penis tattooed.

and used it as a penis ruler

You're very right. Sadly, a wasted opportunity.

Yeah, I worked with a guy that had full sleeves and all his ink was very clearly thought out and clever and I respect that. But it only looks "natural" on someone in their 20's. I can't imagine a guy in his 40's with the same ink.

I can. there is a 40-ish year old dude at this library who has a big white beard and has a full body tattoo of adirondack animals and plants and rivers and lakes and it looks super fresh even though much of it is more than 15 years old.

I can. there is a 40-ish year old dude at this library who has a big white beard and has a full body tattoo of adirondack animals and plants and rivers and lakes and it looks super fresh even though much of it is more than 15 years old.

When I was on a RC cruise out of Miami I saw an unassuming but fit, clean shaven 40-50 year old German dude with a fucking full back tat of a Viking warrior and longships behind him. It was fucking amazing.

It looked a lot like this, but with way more detail:

Odin-and-Thor-tattoo-73252.jpeg

I will probably never get one, though my wife and I have talked about getting little paw prints whenever (hopefully like almost two decades) our cat and dog pass away. Sounds fucking stupid but I like the idea. I'll see.

waste of money

waste of money

jennifer-dunno.gif

tauboo tattoo advice

jennifer-dunno.gif

Archived