Mouse on Mars - Spezmodia

dr lopez

From Facebook -

We have a new record coming out soon!
It's called: #SPEZMODIA
https://soundcloud.com/mouse-on-mars/sets/mouse-on-mars-spezmodia-2014

1424568_675024405855701_1652338813_n.jpg
[sc5]116831130[/sc5]

Samples sound fun as hell - I thought WOW was fun but didn't stay with me, seems like this one is keeping the same kind of vibe but hopefully a little more *composed* - whatever, i own every MoM album and love em all in their own ways, i won't stop now!

Guest cult fiction

This sounds like a lot of fun, 2013 has been amazing but there hasn't been as many fun/silly records like this as 2012

I'm disappointed they're sticking with the same dancefloor sound of WOW for a whole nother album. The samples sound pretty, but predictable and sort of uninteresting. Also I don't hear any Dodo.

I am fearing that I won't like this one nearly as much as Para. I didn't really care for WOW at all (though I liked those tracks live; they can definitely deliver a slamming live set with this kind of material - it just makes for really boring albums). I don't want to be a hater though. MoM is one of my all-time favorite groups. Hopefully this will surprise me..

Still haven't listened to WOW. I agree that their recent stuff is somewhat dissapointing, it feels like they're hiding behind these trendy dancefloor ideas (altough admittedly in a pretty unique and unmistakeable way)

Mouse on Mars will always have a special place in my heart, ever since I discovered them from that "Trance Europe Express vol. 3" (that used to be the way I'd have to find new electronic musicians back in the day, before the internet--they had these sweet little magazines that fit right on the cd shelf!). I liked "Parastrophics", but it honestly doesn't match "Niun Niggun" or "Instrumentals" to my mind.

On the other hand, I like how they just keep going. So fuck it. What I'm hearing here is fun, even if it's not quite as mind-blowingly weird as their older stuff.

Guest wutherslgf

Is the older stuff more weird? In a good way? I'm only really familiar with Para and WOW, and I thought Para was awesome. This new track is fun, though. Kind of fragmentary though.

Despite their genre bending, which was usually not as simple as that, they've always had a sound that was unique to them melodically harmonically atmospherically. Parastropics had it.

Wow was interesting and cool, well see about the lp. I'm sure they've changed and I do like the sound they're doing now, it's just hard to ignore that it seems to lack some of my favorite aspects of the group. But music obviously isn't like a car with "features" I'm just trying to articulate my personal response to wow and this. The music can be great played very loud

Guest wutherslgf

Is the older stuff more weird? In a good way?

Yes. Yes. Check anything before Parastrophics, really. In particular everything from 1995-2001 is fantastic.

Thanks, man. I'll get on that. In need of new wonky tunes this weekend.

Is the older stuff more weird? In a good way?

Yes. Yes. Check anything before Parastrophics, really. In particular everything from 1995-2001 is fantastic.

Thanks, man. I'll get on that. In need of new wonky tunes this weekend.

Sorry I missed your question, but Joseph is quite right. "Vulvaland" was weird at the time, but I found it way more accessible than "Ioara Tahiti" or "Autoditacker" when those were released. Sadly, I have to admit that it took me a little while before I realized what they were up to with those releases. But after a few listens, they were my favorite albums around that time (in the mid-90s). I think that their older stuff won't seem quite as weird today, but for a good illustration of the period and how unusual their stuff was relative to the other stuff that was coming out around that time, I think that the "Trance Europe Express, vol. 3" collection will give you a sense, if you can track down a copy of that. The track they had on that set (which was a two-CD collection, if I remember correctly) was the unmistakeable stand-out for me. Just try to listen to that compilation from beginning to end (if you can stomach that--some of the tracks on there are real barf), and see if you disagree with me.

Probably in the way minority here but I actually liked wow, reminded me of varcharz but shorter and more fun. Still occasionally cane the shit out of it on my car stereo.

Autoditacker is one of the best electronic albums of all tiem, still holds up brilliantly 15+ years on (as all great albums should). Also love that goofy voice on parastrophics (end of polaroyced) that says "omg what happened to MoM they've strayed so far from where they started!"

What became of that collab or whatever they were doing with machinedrum? Didn't they post pics of themselves in Berlin snorting coke and rocking wolfskins or did I just imagine that?

• 1 month later...

Am I trippin' or is that Hall and Oates on the cover? I just love how MoM have no fucks to give lately. Fast and dirty dance sketches, mid-90's psytrance font for album cover type, I love it.

ahahahah that's great hadn't noticed that at all good spot. I just saw large curly hair and thought it was andi's.

Archived