IGNORED

Breaking Bad or The Wire?

beerwolf

I only really watch the weather forecast, maybe the odd wildlife documentry and Countryfile. Not much else.

So I have a week off in January and though I'd rather be jetting off to warmer climes and sipping a beer by some pool and listening to Tangerine Dream on my mp3 player. I'm at home, sheltering from bad weather from the second worst month of the year (first being Febuary). So I'm gonna watch one of these motherfucking dvd boxsets. As all my pals are always telling me to watch them (and Gameof Thrones but I want the whole thing from beginning to end)

Breaking Bad or The Wire? Which one Watmmers? You choose.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching BB now, haven't seen The Wire yet.

Since you mentioned weather, my disclaimer would be that Breaking Bad takes place in the New Mexico and is pretty "sunny" for the first season or two.

Guest Al Hounos

The Wire is infinitely better than breaking bad.

Absolutely correct.

Even the comparison is insulting. Delete this thread immediately!

This. Just make sure you hang in there for the first two-three episodes. It takes a while to get a feel for all the characters, but once you do, it never leaves you.

really depends on what your objective is. I agree with the earlier post, if you're just going to be dipping in maybe BB. The Wire is a slow burn and I'm not sure it would mesh well with a holiday setting.

I won't argue with the claim that the Wire is the superior show though. It is, imo.

Guest disparaissant

just to clarify my purposefully incendiary comment:

breaking bad is a good show. i won't argue against that. it's not exactly my cup of tea, but it's definitely one of the better-made tv shows of the last 20 odd years.

the wire, on the other hand, is preeeeetty much the greatest tv show. it is infinitely better than good.

Absolutely correct.

Even the comparison is insulting. Delete this thread immediately!

This.

I don't think BB is a good show at all. It saddens me to see how kids of today praise BB as great series. The sad state of our civilization.

Op - if you just have one week, I'd say Deadwood, a few eps a day.

Admittedly, I only watched 2 or 3 seasons, but I'm fairly certain I got the gist of it.

It's shallow, so obviosly constructed with the commercial aspect of a modern tv series in mind. It's clumsy in superficial attempts at balancing between comedy and drama. Besides, its comedy part is infantile and so is the drama. High budget TV-series-by-numbers, artificial, shallow, superficial, banal.

And that's what's wrong with our society right now, to accept and settle for so little. Not being able to see the difference. Not wanting to see the difference. This is a decline and I'm aware it's started before my time. It angers and saddens me.

Archived