IGNORED

Roland finally releasing evolution to TR-808

Chris Toffer

Just to be clear, agreed with JohnE. There could be support for more types of synthesis in these new boxes, it'd make them much more interesting.

Would have to check the sound in a more detailed way, but already from the demos, it looks like they're getting frighteningly close to the original sound. It'd be interesting to see what the results of an A/B comparison are like. If people cannot distinguish between the old/analog and the new/digital, that'll be quite something.

I don't understand what the fuss is all about the Scatter function. nction. nction. noitcn.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol @bitch crusher!

also, "maybe the fastest LFO in the world" has to be the absolutely worst line in the history of shit. seriously, worse than "filthiest LFO in the world"

yeah I know it's just a modulation source

Guest DerDingoBaron

The System-1 seems intriguing to me, especially with the SH-101 emulation and stuff. Overall, the whole line seems pretty badly designed though. They obviously look awful. Like it was designed by a PC gaming hardware manufacturer. Look at the System-1, no modwheel, no demonstration yet of the arpeggio scatter function, only 25 keys and 4 voices, and no preset functions whatsoever. Why does all hardware have to be small these days...Even the Gaia SH-01 has 37 keys.

Guest DerDingoBaron

And what about the sounds that they have shown us so far...The demo song sounds like it was made for some late 90's futuristic movie that has that obligatory techno club scene in it with loud music

And what about the sounds that they have shown us so far...The demo song sounds like it was made for some late 90's futuristic movie that has that obligatory techno club scene in it with loud music

Kids are into that nowadays. Roland is aiming for the club/banger crowd.

Also, read the rules and start and introduction thread.

:w00t:

• 3 weeks later...

This is hearsay from someone I know who heard from a Roland rep, but apparently there are plans to have more kits for the TR-8. The 707 was specifically mentioned, but the 606 was also eluded to.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the TB3 on Tuesday. Played with it by itself for a few hours and it's cool. There's a lot of different crappy to good effects (verb, distortion, ring mod, delay, reverse, phase, flange, etc.) and treated bass sounds that are not 303-like (5ths, high octave sine, high rez low-end and more). The presets seem tailored to trance and hard acid type stuff, but there's lot of room for creativity. 1 to 32step patterns, lots of pattern banks, easy pattern change, transpose and faithful step record mode.

Yeah I heard some douchebags fucking around on them in a music store the other day; despite making really terrible annoying acid house, the sound itself was pretty good.

i reaaaaaally dont get the fetishizing over these drum sounds that were on some drum machines 30yrs ago

seems like roland is basically admitting that they can't make something that would be as great now as those machines where in their time. this is such a risk-free safe bet move. but obviously this thing is geared at being able to do some live glitches and pattern switching stuff seamlessly (YAWN) so i guess it has some market out there who will put it to that use (although it doesn't really look like it does anything that hasn't already been done there, besides maybe making the control-ability a little more simple than usual, and more hands on with plenty of knobs/sliders. but how about some 808 samples loaded in an octatrack instead?)

you would think that in this day and age, both the sound design AND live abilities of something like this could be 'next level'

as far as studio use, the sound design side of this might as well be a vsti. only most of those will have a lot more functions. i'm more interested in hearing the akai rhythm wolf

i reaaaaaally dont get the fetishizing over these drum sounds that were on some drum machines 30yrs ago

seems like roland is basically admitting that they can't make something that would be as great now as those machines where in their time. this is such a risk-free safe bet move. but obviously this thing is geared at being able to do some live glitches and pattern switching stuff seamlessly (YAWN) so i guess it has some market out there who will put it to that use (although it doesn't really look like it does anything that hasn't already been done there, besides maybe making the control-ability a little more simple than usual, and more hands on with plenty of knobs/sliders. but how about some 808 samples loaded in an octatrack instead?)

you would think that in this day and age, both the sound design AND live abilities of something like this could be 'next level'

as far as studio use, the sound design side of this might as well be a vsti. only most of those will have a lot more functions. i'm more interested in hearing the akai rhythm wolf

I think a big part of the appeal of the Roland TR's is the music that was subsequently made with them. Same with the 303, the 101, etc. The reason I bought a 101 was from hearing it all over the Warp catalog during my formative years. If I'd grown up on early hip-hop I'd probably own a SP-1200 instead.

That's my guess.

I saw these have started to arrive in Norwegian stores now. The TR8 costs the equivalent of 750 USD. Might have been an expensive parallel import, but that's a pretty steep price for what it is.

• 6 months later...

I've got one, it's pretty fucking good yeah...does have some slight issues with the accent emulation - not quite perfect yet, but they have improved it with the latest update and sure it will get better with subsequent updates.... it's also a pretty versatile general bass synth - plenty of decent bass presets on there in addition to the 303 sound. it's probably not quite as good as a x0xb0x or TT-303 bassbot for pure acid, but it's like 95% as good plus you get all the other sounds plus it's only £230 odd...horses for courses. also build quality is fantastic.

Archived