IGNORED

Roland finally releasing evolution to TR-808

Chris Toffer

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind that it's a bunch of digital stuff.

In 2 years people will only care what the gear is capable of and whether it will enable them to better make choons.

Alot of maligned-at-the-time gear went on to be the shit.

I don't mind that it's a bunch of digital stuff.

In 2 years people will only care what the gear is capable of and whether it will enable them to better make choons.

Alot of maligned-at-the-time gear went on to be the shit.

sh201Header_l.jpg

nope

still shit

Arturia beat these guys to the punch on this latest one a while ago. Oh well. I just don't have a ton of faith in new roland products. My monies are on Korg.

Roland's newer products that are actually interesting are just very unreachably expensive. The Roland V-synth for example is probably the most advanced granular capable hardware sampler ever made, just in terms of the sound quality and ability to manipulate a sample. The sampling end of it is really oddly crap though, only 64megs of built on memory and even with memory expansion you still only have 64 megs at any given time to work with.
The Jupiter 80 also seems really interesting, it has a new roland synth engine called 'super natural synthesis' that is a combination of physical and analog modeling. Both of these synths are digital and over $2,000 though so I don't think many musicians took the dive, especially with the Jupiter 80, but I'd really like to check one of those out some day.

I'm far less interested in them trying to be Korg or going back to their previous products, I'd like to see them do a more advanced fully fledged sampling workstation version of the V-synth. It's pretty lame to me that companies are more concerned about retro fetishism than actually innovative new products

while what Korg is doing is nice to make cheaply available and compact analog instruments, I'm not really personally excited by anything they've put out in the past 10 years. Hopefully once digital synthesis in the hardware realm is not 'taboo' anymore they'll put out some seriously awesome small digital synths in a similar vein to the volcas, plus that Korg filter sound just kills me, not a fan at all.

while what Korg is doing is nice to make cheaply available and compact analog instruments, I'm not really personally excited by anything they've put out in the past 10 years. Hopefully once digital synthesis in the hardware realm is not 'taboo' anymore they'll put out some seriously awesome small digital synths in a similar vein to the volcas, plus that Korg filter sound just kills me, not a fan at all.

I get your point but I do think Korg have had some genuinely interesting stuff that isn't just an analogue re-heat. The obvious example to me is the Mod-7 engine that is in the Kronos. If that was out in an elektron style desktop unit on it's own with a decent sequencer I'd be pretty keen. But I suppose like your examples of VSynth etc it's just in a prohibitive format.

That said, I'm still curious about the Volcas and may well get one some day but not for the near future.

I get your point but I do think Korg have had some genuinely interesting stuff that isn't just an analogue re-heat. The obvious example to me is the Mod-7 engine that is in the Kronos. If that was out in an elektron style desktop unit on it's own with a decent sequencer I'd be pretty keen. But I suppose like your examples of VSynth etc it's just in a prohibitive format.

you're right, i didn't mean to say that Korg isn't still innovating digital synthesis. Besides Roland and Yamaha they were and still are the only company pushing the hardware digital synthesis realm into territories that I'm talking about. I'd include Elektron in that too except they more or less abandoned digital synthesis after Hansson died. I got a chance to play with a Kronos at a store and spent about 30 minutes looking for the physical modeling and other new synth engines but couldn't find them. Those keyboards are a little too workstation style for my tastes, but i appreciate that Korg is still putting stuff like that out. I ended up getting an Oasys in the form of the PCI card (which is far cheaper than the keyboard) and have been very fucking happy with it. That's why i was saying that since they pretty much abandoned the Oasys, I would hope eventually they might release a tiny boxed version of it with some knobs and a sequencer like they did for the Volcas, maybe once the analog fetishism revival passes.

anybody ever play with a Roland Jupiter 80? it got pretty much fully slagged because its not analog and people are still in love with the original Jupiter 8 but it looks like a completely different and unique digital synth animal.

and re: Limpy: yeah the v-synth racks (XT) and the original V-synth (the non multitimbral version, not the GT) go for about $700-1100 used. The only thing not in those is the physical modeling engine they added only for the GT, which imo is not that impressive. the keyboard itself though can be used as a very nice midi controller, it has a lot of assignable knobs, and x/y pad and an assignable d-beam. It's almost worth the price for the vocoder alone, which is pretty versatile and very nice sounding.

The VP sampler racks are insane and super cheap. Of course all the actual synth functionality is hacked off, but if you want the sampler stuff standalone then bam. I've thought about buying one. The pitch-shift/time-stretch technology is insane.

im curious how those are in terms of a real-time capture sampler for live performances. thats what always bothered me about the Vsynth, is it seems like it could be used as like a monster Casio Sk1, but the process to record a sample, process it for stretching and then be able to play it is not immediate, it takes about 1-2 minutes after capturing. and to top it off 64 megs is not really enough room to play with, you have to be pretty conservative with what you capture.

Jupiter 80 looked likea bigger version of the sh rehash and juno rehash. I could be wrong. Looked shit

Anyway i agree, hardware has lacked affordable innovation lately. Software is obviously much more interesting. But it really just doesnt have the same sonic quality and tends to lack soul and grit. Period. End of fiscussion. Even just incorporating one track of hardware in rach recording you make will drastically improve the quality of your music, assuming you were already good. What we need is hardware that gives us soul capacity mixed with the sophistication of software. Resampling is the way to go imo. Take something out of tetra, tun it through electribe sampled effects, put it into absynth as a sample. Apply lfos on all dat shit. Put that into electribe or other sampler after recording to tape.

Pretty obvious i guess. It would be nice to have something like clavia nord modular that incorporated analogue oscillators and filters along with some sort of sample based modulationthat could create new waveforms with the oscillators.

I believe modulation of analog oscillators with samples will be the next innovation in synthesis.

i think part of the problem with a lot of digital synths and soft synths especially is they dont have enough over-sampling. Take for example some of the analog modeled Reaktor patches, like this Serge modular someone just put into the user library. It sounds kinda like shit at 44.1khz, very 'digital' and harsh. As soon as you kick it up to 96khz you start noticing some of the harsher edges getting rounded off, but then when you kick it up to 192khz it sounds very similar to a real analog synth, a lot of the harshness is completely gone and the synth starts to sound completely different.

I was looking at that Arturia Origin synth for a while, the one thats setup like a nord modular but lets you use old gear components like an arp2600 filter with a moog oscillator, etc. The thing that turned me off from it was that it runs everything at 44.1khz. I've still never heard one, buf it it did oversampling I'd be much more interested. A lot of hardware does good quality oversampling, I believe the new Roland beasts do too.

the Jupiter 80 does look very shit I'll admit, but take a look at the manual to see what it's capable of, its really more advanced than most digital synths out there.

For grit and soul and all that, just put overdrive/distortion on every single vst instrument. Fixed, man. Fixed. Emphasizes harmonics, adds depth, increases perceived volume. Then mix that shit properly, and it's like you're in 1975 or something, it's so phunky and phat. I've never had a problem with any vst instrument sounding overly digitally-shit-- because that's either desired, or I just add overdrive+. Alternate more pain technique is to have 2 tracks with same synth linez; one pitched up or down, which can also be shifted a jillionth of a beat forward/back, and alternate alternate technique extension is to add low volume pure sine waves of synth lines further under all that shit. Man, I've made the tinniest thinnest cold ass cheap shit free vst sound like an orchestra in a hall made of ebony and gold with these techniques (well, with subtle reverb, natch).

Re-sampling is also good. Get a cassette tape recorder, record individual tracks to tape with levels high to get slight tape compression, import tape recordings into DAW, mix-in tape recording at like 50% or whatever. BAM. Fucking dope. Tape adds harmonics and lushness, digital emphasizes sharp highs and tight bass-- you have the ultimate dynamic range super combo.

Have you ever listened to your own electronic music on cassette tape? I used to do it for demos in the late 90's and early 00, and that shit sounds good. Any tinniness or gaps missing felt full, and overall tape converts cold digital into warm blanket of heroin audio.

Highly recommend.

Archived