IGNORED

Roland finally releasing evolution to TR-808

Chris Toffer

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first IDM dabblings were on an old MC-303, it had shit for memory but it was fun to play with, kinda wish I still had the thing but I ended up selling it to a friend... This thing looks weird but I'm more curious how it sounds.

Yah, the MC-303 could be maxed out easily, but it was less crash prone than the MC-505 (due to less complexity?). One thing about the MC-303, though: the sounds were PHAT. Like PHAT. The MC-505 was more crisp (thinly phat).

.....It's like nobody cares about phatness anymore. Non-care of phatness is possibly one of the reasons for the downfall in all underground vibez. Like people nowadays think some overcompressed deep bass shit or using that one compressed snare type in every drum n bass track is "phat". Gimme a fucking break kidz- you wannabe electronicaz mastahz wouldn't know phat, if your whole family was obese and made of vinyl and vacuum tubes.

...I think the MC-303 was so PHAT due to some inadvertent magic of shit D/A converters and low bit rates (again for Roland-- accidental).

The only solution for the phuture of hardware is for manufacturers to stop using fucking CHARTS and NUMBERS and GRAPHS and POINTLESS STATS to show how cool and groovy their junk is. I would be so impressed if some company was like, "This thing sounds amazing, because we used our ears." Yeah how about that asshole manufacturers- USE YOUR FUCKING EARS. THEN you can demonstrate to me in your promo vid how ridiculous your cutoff and resonance knobs are. Until then, your knobs are meaningless modifiers meant for people who tweak more than they feel. "Expert Knob Twiddlers"- pun aside- was about expression, not dexterity-driven pointlessness.

Sooooo whilst ze AIRA line might actually somehow be good... the fact that they are using flashing lights and "super cool hot shots" to tease, might be an indication of pointless shittiness in this line. (Nah, it's prolly aiiight.)

As a long-time Japaneze and living in Tokyo now, lemme just say that Japanese culture is so lost up its own ass. EXTREEEEMELY high attention to detail and extreeemely high aesthetic sense, but that is balanced with extreeeeeme willingness to try and be cool. Like Tokyo rap groups talking about hardcore and ghetto and shit-- shyyyut the fuck up-- yeah, being raised in one of the cleanest and safest large cities in the world with high social responsibility and kindness was tough, especially with all that ghetto hi-tech shit everywhere... fucking talkin' 'bout the pains of their toilet not washing their ass fast enough, coupled with the TOOO comfortable temperature of the toilet seat warmers... Yeah, man- fucking harsh times, homebwoi.

That being said, the Foveon sensor is absolutely incredible.

The only solution for the phuture of hardware is for manufacturers to stop using fucking CHARTS and NUMBERS and GRAPHS and POINTLESS STATS to show how cool and groovy their junk is. I would be so impressed if some company was like, "This thing sounds amazing, because we used our ears."

roland909.gif

Guest jasondonervan

i like how they chose the thumbnail image to be a guy wearing a suit jacket with no shirt on underneath and visible chest hair

At first I thought 'Vangelis is looking alright for his age these days'. Then I realised it wasn't Vangelis.

2941_original.jpg

i like how they chose the thumbnail image to be a guy wearing a suit jacket with no shirt on underneath and visible chest hair

That guy is just the guy who programmed and made Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock.

From what he says himself - that guy is just the guy who hired some guy for 20 dollars a session to program the drums to Afrika Bambaattaa's Planet Rock.

That guy is just the guy who programmed and made Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock.

From what he says himself - that guy is just the guy who hired some guy for 20 dollars a session to program the drums to Afrika Bambaattaa's Planet Rock.

Right it was Joe who programmed the beat.

Archived