IGNORED

Squarepusher X Z-machines: Music For Robots - EP 05 April 2014

Guest murph

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one am excited.

me too! stoked!

I think the biggest thing is, that video posted... the mastering is good. The last few SP releases have been mastered terribly, with a few tracks being the exception.

I am not quite sure about that one...At first it sounds/looks very exciting but then I don't know, it's like he didn't explore all the possibilities that the Z-Machines could have offered him...
Waiting for the whole EP to come anyway :music:

Z-machines? Really? Well Tom has just hit rock bottom of creativity it seems, relying on gimmicks like that.

It's probably worthwhile to recognize a huge portion of his audience is in Japan and they tend to like stuff like this. Nothing wrong in appeasing his target demographic.

i don't really understand how this is a 'gimmick' .Clearly tom is an accomplished composer, and something as we've seen in this video wouldn't have been able to exist in purely human terms or even something digitally created. I'm not in love with the style of jazz he's doing with them, but I'm surprised so many (not just you) are deriding it as a simple gimmick. I don't see anything about this that's not creative, who else has done something like this with real instruments not using multi-track recording or editing?

I for one am excited to hear just the drum beats on a real acoustic kit he's sequenced with these machines

i don't really understand how this is a 'gimmick' .Clearly tom is an accomplished composer, and something as we've seen in this video wouldn't have been able to exist in purely human terms or even something digitally created. I'm not in love with the style of jazz he's doing with them, but I'm surprised so many (not just you) are deriding it as a simple gimmick. I don't see anything about this that's not creative, who else has done something like this with real instruments not using multi-track recording or editing?

I for one am excited to hear just the drum beats on a real acoustic kit he's sequenced with these machines

for realz!

Guest CraniumXII

It's strange when the terms gimmick and wankery appear in Squarepusher threads. He is constantly experimenting with new sounds or methods of creation. Here he is able to have robots play more technical pieces of music at unnatural speeds and timings, while have it all sound more natural because they are played using actual instruments. He could have hired 4 session guitarists and someone playing synthesizers and a couple of drummers maybe... but here it is more controlled, precise, and cheaper. Maybe you don't like the presentation, but he is always trying "new" things for himself, and I find that respectable.

I also think his songwriting is more "mature" now... I think that his technical chops are interpreted as wankery. I enjoy the chaotic and stabbing breakdowns. It's not always easy listening, but the more you hear his tracks, the more subtleties you pick up.

I am very excite! :squarepusher_logo:

Guest iniquity blues

Finally someone has gone out and made some music for Aphex Twin's monkey drummer! He's had a pretty slow decade from what I've gathered =(

Guest jasondonervan

Huh, so Blerp is selling 'Limited CD in gatefold wallet with obi and Japanese liner notes', which suggests there's no CD release outside of Japan. Suits me as I can bin off my order with Amazon JP and get it cheaper. Thanks Blerp...

Thlerp

Archived