IGNORED

Ganja

beerwolf

I finished a fairly useless Master's degree a few months ago (Political Economy) and while I was in the books for two years, marijuana exploded across the mainstream american pop culture scene.

now that i've been unemployed and job-searching for a couple months, the marijuana industry is looking mighty attractive. we're at one of those unique points in history where a new industry is being created. now (or two years ago, when i started my studies) is a great time to "get in on the ground floor".

i'm thinking i should start a grow hobby on the side as I continue looking at jobs that pay a master's degree holder $35,000/yr.

any thoughts? anyone else interested in marijuana as a career or investment?

I'm looking into it. It seems pricey, and it's early in terms of legislation - even in recreational states. But the life it would encourage for me is something I'm passionate about. So I'm going to very seriously consider it.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished a fairly useless Master's degree a few months ago (Political Economy) and while I was in the books for two years, marijuana exploded across the mainstream american pop culture scene.

now that i've been unemployed and job-searching for a couple months, the marijuana industry is looking mighty attractive. we're at one of those unique points in history where a new industry is being created. now (or two years ago, when i started my studies) is a great time to "get in on the ground floor".

i'm thinking i should start a grow hobby on the side as I continue looking at jobs that pay a master's degree holder $35,000/yr.

I'm looking into it. It seems pricey, and it's early in terms of legislation - even in recreational states. But the life it would encourage for me is something I'm passionate about. So I'm going to very seriously consider it.

I work with/for a group of investors that have been running a two medical co-ops and 4 separate community gardens along with 2 nightclubs, a restaurant and 2 magazines (d-list and dope)... and now we will be opening 1 (possibly 2) retail outlets and 1 large warehouse grow on the legal side in Seattle. The warehouse is all ready to go, now its just time for the state to start doing something besides keeping their fists deep in their own asshole on the whole licensing thing. I currently have a little over 2500$ tied up in the stuff... and that's just my part of the investment in buildings and licences... so the state is really pissing some people off.

My advice- Move quickly, the cottage industry phase won't last long and that is where the real cash and chances of a long career in the industry lie. Learn all you can about growing, current market trends, products currently approved for market sale in whatever state you choose to do business in, and lastly, and most importantly, get to know people going into the industry too. I learned a ton over the last year or so managing the store(s) and one of our gardens and seriously lucked out getting in league with the people I currently work with. It's an awesome hobby, but I feel a lot of people underestimate how much work, time and money goes into it. I started growing the better of a decade ago, have run a medical garden that put out 10+ lbs (around 5 kilos for you metric assholes) of the highest quality each cycle... and I am still learning more with every cycle of plants.

It's pricey as fuck, the regulations are absurd, but this is the only business I see making me 1st world money for the future. I went from making less than 23k a year as a baker with two useless college degrees to making close to 50k and we haven't even opened the legal shops/warehouse where I'll be getting a 10% cut of profit off the whole thing and a real salary/bonus situation. If you want it, get on it, the market is going to be flooded with people who think they know what they are doing but actually have little to no experience with cannabis or business on a wholesale or boutique retail level and the winners will rise to the top.

:diablo: capitalism, eh?

Guest fiznuthian

yeah fiz, the idea of growing my own food (and bud) has always been appealing to me. I'l check that book out. i'm also in a red state (Tennessee) so I wouldn't be comfortable growing anything illegal, but I think I can learn a lot through growing other things, which I can then apply to MJ down the road.

also, grinders, bowls? sounds so 2010, watmm. even here in the bible belt it's easy to get good wax. no mess, no smell, much easier on the body.

Ah, sucks for us.. :( I think when decriminalization happens, that should be my queue to begin.. just in time to blossom (lol) into the growing state economy.

If you do get into growing plants I highly recommend hydroponics.. although soil is fun too and organic techniques are useful skills, hydroponics teaches you a lot about the specifics of a plant's life cycle and needs. Hydro is the way to go for anyone who thinks they are a control freak.

Also, don't let anyone tell you that yields are the same for soil techniques.. It's simply not true. Yes it's entirely possible to generate large yield per harvets with soil substrates, but the rate of growth in soil-less systems is when conditions are ideal is beyond anything possible in soil. So while the same plant in ideal conditions could yield 1 LB of dry matter in both soil and hydro, the soil-less system will do it quicker and thus produce more over time.

I will admit the book i recommended is, quite frankly, fucking insane. I'm 30 pages in and it's already made easily 200+ citations. Super, super thick science but I represents the state of the art and it's fascinating to read about the experiments.

Guest fiznuthian

I work with/for a group of investors that have been running a two medical co-ops and 4 separate community gardens along with 2 nightclubs, a restaurant and 2 magazines (d-list and dope)... and now we will be opening 1 (possibly 2) retail outlets and 1 large warehouse grow on the legal side in Seattle. The warehouse is all ready to go, now its just time for the state to start doing something besides keeping their fists deep in their own asshole on the whole licensing thing. I currently have a little over 2500$ tied up in the stuff... and that's just my part of the investment in buildings and licences... so the state is really pissing some people off.

My advice- Move quickly, the cottage industry phase won't last long and that is where the real cash and chances of a long career in the industry lie. Learn all you can about growing, current market trends, products currently approved for market sale in whatever state you choose to do business in, and lastly, and most importantly, get to know people going into the industry too. I learned a ton over the last year or so managing the store(s) and one of our gardens and seriously lucked out getting in league with the people I currently work with. It's an awesome hobby, but I feel a lot of people underestimate how much work, time and money goes into it. I started growing the better of a decade ago, have run a medical garden that put out 10+ lbs (around 5 kilos for you metric assholes) of the highest quality each cycle... and I am still learning more with every cycle of plants.

It's pricey as fuck, the regulations are absurd, but this is the only business I see making me 1st world money for the future. I went from making less than 23k a year as a baker with two useless college degrees to making close to 50k and we haven't even opened the legal shops/warehouse where I'll be getting a 10% cut of profit off the whole thing and a real salary/bonus situation. If you want it, get on it, the market is going to be flooded with people who think they know what they are doing but actually have little to no experience with cannabis or business on a wholesale or boutique retail level and the winners will rise to the top.

:diablo: capitalism, eh?

Are you hiring? :cool:

oy chaps quick question

i've got 40g of ground kratom, never tried it before. how much should i take?

ontopic: i'm holding out for canada to legalize dope plants soon so i can get farmin

i've smoked weed 5 times in my life. on 3 separate occasions it gave me a pretty much instant diarrhea (right after taking a bong hit), luckily i was near a bathroom on all of those occasions. on another occasion, after i had smoked a spliff i gradually become more and sick which culminated in violent vomiting at someone's backyard. only one time (joint) was somewhat enjoyable but nothing special.

nowadays the mere smell of it is enough to make me sick, so basically fuck this shit.

Guest fiznuthian

i've smoked weed 5 times in my life. on 3 separate occasions it gave me a pretty much instant diarrhea (right after taking a bong hit), luckily i was near a bathroom on all of those occasions. on another occasion, after i had smoked a spliff i gradually become more and sick which culminated in violent vomiting at someone's backyard. only one time (joint) was somewhat enjoyable but nothing special.

nowadays the mere smell of it is enough to make me sick, so basically fuck this shit.

Potency..

If you are not a regular smoker: do not smoke a bong or a spliff.

Also that sounds like the quality was questionable. I guess weed isn't everyone's cup of tea, but a lot of people who try it instantly are turned away because of the frightening sensations that result from consuming more than they need.

Potency..

If you are not a regular smoker: do not smoke a bong or a spliff.

Also that sounds like the quality was questionable. I guess weed isn't everyone's cup of tea, but a lot of people who try it instantly are turned away because of the frightening sensations that result from consuming more than they need.

This! Even during periods where I smoke weekly, I only need 2 solid puffs and I'm done.

Guest fiznuthian

Yeah Stephen same here.. I've smoked a LOT of weed, even over an ounce every couple weeks at times.. but any time I take a break over 5-7 days, I treat the ganja like i've started all over.. one puff at a time, sit and wait between each.

Can't tell you how many times i've made the mistake of not following that rule and had to sit down trying not to panic for an hour because the high is overwhelming and very uncomfortable. I really can't fathom why people think it's necessary to smoke a bong to the face when they've rarely smoked. That's just crazy.

lol.

Audio, thanks so much for that extensive post. Washington is currently my plan A for obvious reasons, and it's good to hear that what you're seeing is somewhat in line with what I've been reading. My timeline is about a year to raise cash, get out there, buy some land, and set up shop. (I say that figuratively, since I have zero interest in being a retailer.) I'm hoping that the legislation settles down right when the first crop of growers is realizing they don't have the dedication/money or whatever to keep holding a license. I'm hoping to start with a tier 2 and move up from there.

I thought there was some protection from having a producer/processor license and a retailer license in the same umbrella of interests? That's one of the reasons I liked WA's thought process - they seem to be discouraging the infrastructure that Philip Morris/Altria will need to move in. Still, I'm hoping to operate on a microbrew model - produce a small/medium amount of excellent product.

From what I'm hearing, retail is the real bottleneck in WA right now - is that true? Lots of grower applications, few retail permits. Makes me wish I had the stomach for retail - but I don't. I'd invest in it...

Oregon is my plan B, but that's all up in the air. Maine could be cool.

I don't know if you'd be open to this, but if I do come to WA to check it out, I'd love to meet up and talk shop! I was planning on PMing you eventually. You're the kind of grower I like to see, detailed and methodical (= I'm in the market for somebody like that.

Audio, thanks so much for that extensive post. Washington is currently my plan A for obvious reasons, and it's good to hear that what you're seeing is somewhat in line with what I've been reading. My timeline is about a year to raise cash, get out there, buy some land, and set up shop. (I say that figuratively, since I have zero interest in being a retailer.) I'm hoping that the legislation settles down right when the first crop of growers is realizing they don't have the dedication/money or whatever to keep holding a license. I'm hoping to start with a tier 2 and move up from there.

I thought there was some protection from having a producer/processor license and a retailer license in the same umbrella of interests? That's one of the reasons I liked WA's thought process - they seem to be discouraging the infrastructure that Philip Morris/Altria will need to move in. Still, I'm hoping to operate on a microbrew model - produce a small/medium amount of excellent product.

From what I'm hearing, retail is the real bottleneck in WA right now - is that true? Lots of grower applications, few retail permits. Makes me wish I had the stomach for retail - but I don't. I'd invest in it...

I don't know if you'd be open to this, but if I do come to WA to check it out, I'd love to meet up and talk shop! I was planning on PMing you eventually. You're the kind of grower I like to see, detailed and methodical (= I'm in the market for somebody like that.

Washington is going to be fertile ground, but them Colorado boys did it well. The WA liquor control board (don't get me started) needs to take a page from them because Colorado is leading the way.

There is protection from having groups getting too many licenses, but the group I am investing with is pretty large and somewhat lucrative i.e. some people technically work for someone and do not the same LLC or business on their tax/financial records. I am technically investing in both operations, but I am part of my bosses investment firm as a 'consultant' on the books. It's really a bunch of hoo-haw to go through, but we as a group wanted a foot in both doors (retail and production) in case one didn't pan out or it's more fertile. Sort of a 'don't put all your eggs in one basket' kind-of legal loop-holing.

Retail will be a huge problem initially. The proposed amount of retail licenses are really low and it's going to mean big money for those shops who do get the approval... but it will mean busy as hell workplaces, over-crowding, and inability to stock for demand. After the first 2-3 years they should open up more and people can have an idea of the yearly market and consumption for their area, but it's going to be a mess on that end for the first year methinks. We are investing in the retail thing because the small amount of stores in competition, it's like limiting liquor stores to only 20 in a city of millions, shits going to get bonkers.

If you come on down to WA give me a jingle. Depending on when you are coming down I will most likely be able to sneak you into the warehouse and shop so you can see how it works on a large scale. Mucho thanks for the kudos, I'm always available to answer questions via PM or whatever. It's a fruitful endeavor to grow cannabis, it's useful, saves money if you do smoke more than every so often, and will teach you a literal fuck-ton about organic gardening, genetics and horticulture. Its a hobby I am proud of, some people think it's dumb or that cannabis is not a good thing, I feel the opposite. It's like tomatoes or growing roses, it's just that people can't get stoned off either of those, they don't fetch 2.5k+ a pound and you don't go to jail for having a garden full of vegetables. :emotawesomepm9:

Yeah Stephen same here.. I've smoked a LOT of weed, even over an ounce every couple weeks at times.. but any time I take a break over 5-7 days, I treat the ganja like i've started all over.. one puff at a time, sit and wait between each.

Can't tell you how many times i've made the mistake of not following that rule and had to sit down trying not to panic for an hour because the high is overwhelming and very uncomfortable. I really can't fathom why people think it's necessary to smoke a bong to the face when they've rarely smoked. That's just crazy.

Very true... I've had some pretty gnarly experiences with weed, and it's especially bad when you're around other people and trying to hold on to your last bit of sanity, while trying to appear nonchalant. Whenever this has happened I always tend to shift my body uncontrollably and constantly rub my face for some reason.

Luckily those days are behind me, I've shaped up my life a lot so I don't get the paranoia anymore. I really think how weed affects you is completely dependent not only on your mood at the time of smoking, but also your general mindset during a certain phase of life.

And don't even get me started with weed being illegal. It is my firm belief that any argument against legalization can be easily trumped. Weed allows us to observe ourselves from a different perspective...and the government would never want you doing that, although I think they manage to deceive even themselves by covering this argument up with other stupid and irrelevant ones.

But I hate arguing about politics... I seem to be always wrong about it, probably because I never cared enough about it to concern myself with it. I am rambling.

Guest fiznuthian

aus weed facts: bongs here are usually smoked by the "cone", small thymbal pieces good for one big long hit. a few people have "bowl" pieces but i don't understand how that works, do you light it up, smoke a bit then let it burn out and smoke more later?

Yeah, it's either smoked by more than one person or if smoked by a single person they're just trying to get wrecked. It's really just for regular smokers with a strong tolerance developed. Someone without a tolerance can freak out or shit/puke themselves like eugene.

Guest fiznuthian

Wow tullips look intense.. the ganja widens so quickly. I bet the smoke gets super thick really fast.

Washington is going to be fertile ground, but them Colorado boys did it well. The WA liquor control board (don't get me started) needs to take a page from them because Colorado is leading the way.

There is protection from having groups getting too many licenses, but the group I am investing with is pretty large and somewhat lucrative i.e. some people technically work for someone and do not the same LLC or business on their tax/financial records. I am technically investing in both operations, but I am part of my bosses investment firm as a 'consultant' on the books. It's really a bunch of hoo-haw to go through, but we as a group wanted a foot in both doors (retail and production) in case one didn't pan out or it's more fertile. Sort of a 'don't put all your eggs in one basket' kind-of legal loop-holing.

Retail will be a huge problem initially. The proposed amount of retail licenses are really low and it's going to mean big money for those shops who do get the approval... but it will mean busy as hell workplaces, over-crowding, and inability to stock for demand. After the first 2-3 years they should open up more and people can have an idea of the yearly market and consumption for their area, but it's going to be a mess on that end for the first year methinks. We are investing in the retail thing because the small amount of stores in competition, it's like limiting liquor stores to only 20 in a city of millions, shits going to get bonkers.

If you come on down to WA give me a jingle. Depending on when you are coming down I will most likely be able to sneak you into the warehouse and shop so you can see how it works on a large scale. Mucho thanks for the kudos, I'm always available to answer questions via PM or whatever. It's a fruitful endeavor to grow cannabis, it's useful, saves money if you do smoke more than every so often, and will teach you a literal fuck-ton about organic gardening, genetics and horticulture. Its a hobby I am proud of, some people think it's dumb or that cannabis is not a good thing, I feel the opposite. It's like tomatoes or growing roses, it's just that people can't get stoned off either of those, they don't fetch 2.5k+ a pound and you don't go to jail for having a garden full of vegetables. :emotawesomepm9:

Word. I ruled out CO because, last I checked,

-you need a 2 year residency before you even apply to grow (vs 3 months in WA)

-you need to go through the medical program, i.e. become a dispensary first, and then apply for recreational growing

-being a dispensary requires setting up a retail operation

-all that means like 3-5 years and increased startup costs

If that stuff wasn't true I'd be thinking about it more seriously. I also want to be near the coast.

Are you guys going to join that one WA credit union that said they would take weed money? That's going to be an interesting part of being an early adopter of this business . . also how are you guys going to handle taxes? I'm wondering if I could set up some other kind of herb growing business in an attempt to deduct my startup costs, because I know the IRS prevents you from claiming federally illegal activities as deductions.

Sent you a PM . . hope to meet up sometime soon actually!

Yah, tolerance- or lack of- can be a biznatch. There's nothing like smoking up with a few people, and then all of a sudden it's like, ". . .. . .. . o h.. .. . . FUCK. IIiiii'm way too fucked up, what the fuck- there are aliens and cops coming to get me oh fucking shit, FUUuuUUUUCCkckkckKkkKkKKkKk~~~~"

One time I was eating raw fish and drinking Bud Light, and then my friend pulls out smoke. So then I casually take and hold a few large hits and think I'm gonna be cool. All of a fucking sudden, I'm sweating super hard and realize I was getting sick... So I go to the restroom to rinse my face and look at myself in the mirror in that "Oh fuck, let's see how hard I'm tripping", kind of thing. I put my hand right the fuck in front of my face, and I COULD BARELY SEE ANYTHING. My whole visual field was FULL OF STATIC. This was just ganj, but I was fucking tripping ballz. I spent the next 30 minutes or so sitting on the dude's toilet, and he's pounding on the door like, "Get the fuck out of there, man!" The friend I came with went home, cuz I felt so sick.... so I had to get a ride home after resting on the couch for awhile.

Embarrassing and kind of shitty.

Lesson: Take small tokes when smoking new shit, especially if tolerance hasn't built up. Many a junkie have died from heroin/coke overdoses from not following this rule..... When not used to it, high THC can be frightening and nothing pleasant.

Guest fiznuthian

Yeah i've had the mild hallucinogenic effects too.. wavy walls in particular.
Generally the feeling after having too much is just a strong panicky discomfort that feels overwhelming.. I have to wonder if the

mental sensations are responsible for the physical responses people often report, like vomiting, dizzyness, etc..

Could it be possible that while the plant isn't directly causing a physical reaction, the acute stress instead is manifesting itself in the body?
We're just freaking the fuck out.

i was smoking in a friends backyard when i was just getting into weed and i guess i smoked too much ( or it was laced). cause after awhile i realized i had been coughing for a good amount of minutes but i was totally tuned out. then i had intense closed eye visuals.EDIT: not geometric but images of stuff flashing by] after i dunno it felt like 10 minutes i talk to my friend and we decide to go inside so i stand up but the ground is like waves so i'm trying to walk without falling over and it was like that scene in fear and loathing when they inhale the ether... a unique event

Archived