IGNORED

8th MOST IDM Tournament - The WINNER

Root5

The winner is Mycorrhizae! So let's all take a moment to appreciate these fungal internets that have a way of entering into symbiotic relationships with plant roots.

33rd%20NPS%20Logo%20%28Job025803%29%20%2

As is the custom of our people, I put up a thread in EKT for a tribute album. If you'd like to contribute, please mosey over to here.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gary C

Sorry but reaching out to communicate with other beings similar to yourself is the opposite to IDM.

WATMM has only ever moved further away from understanding what IDM is/was.

im making a track based on things that are green enough to say ''thats green'' but arent really quite green. it will sound the same as any mycccoriszia tracks anyway.

Sorry but reaching out to communicate with other beings similar to yourself is the opposite to IDM.

WATMM has only ever moved further away from understanding what IDM is/was.

2aj8ahu.jpg

Give it a rest, guys; it's a great topic.

"Mycorrhizae" can refer either to fungi that form mutualistic relationships with plant roots, or it can refer to the mutualistic relationship itself.

From wiki:

This mutualistic association provides the fungus with relatively constant and direct access to carbohydrates, such as glucose and sucrose.[4] The carbohydrates are translocated from their source (usually leaves) to root tissue and on to the plant's fungal partners. In return, the plant gains the benefits of the mycelium's higher absorptive capacity for water and mineral nutrients due to the comparatively large surface area of mycelium: root ratio, thus improving the plant's mineral absorption capabilities.

There are lots of musical ideas here. There's the idea of networks growing underground. There's the idea of interplay between two different Kingdoms of life (plants and fungi). When I read this, lots of musical ideas come to my mind. Rise to the challenge, watmm.

It's undirected. I could literally take any IDM song and call it an IDM tribute to Mycorrhizae. Maybe that means it's more IDM I guess? And I guess we shouldn't base what wins off of what will make a good comp? Anyway, my point is: boring. IMO tribute compilations need some sort of direction.

Man some of you guys sound like you voted for McCain! It's really up to you to get inspired by the topic! Sucks for you that you are blind to the multifaceted coolness of mycorrhizae. To remain blind is your choice...look within..to the mycorrhizae within you..within all of us...ahhhh....yess....

A song can be generally chaotic/undirected but have something tying it together, maybe some nice organic sounding pads or something.

I think it's a great topic

By "undirected" I don't mean that the songs will be chaotic, but that they will have no real direction that pertains to the topic. "Broken GIFs" has many characteristics which could clearly be portrayed through music; "CD skipping" would probably be too directed in that it would be overly limiting. On the other end of things, an IDM compilation dedicated to Mycorrhizae might as well just be a compilation of random IDM tunes. You could probably take that compilation, call it "IDM tribute to _________" with any sort of futurey sounding thing in the blank, and it would work just as well, even with the exact same songs.

edit:

Guys come on, you should know me well enough to know that I like chaotic music.

A song can be generally chaotic/undirected but have something tying it together, maybe some nice organic sounding pads or something.

I think it's a great topic

By "undirected" I don't mean that the songs will be chaotic, but that they will have no real direction that pertains to the topic. "Broken GIFs" has many characteristics which could clearly be portrayed through music; "CD skipping" would probably be too directed in that it would be overly limiting. On the other end of things, an IDM compilation dedicated to Mycorrhizae might as well just be a compilation of random IDM tunes. You could probably take that compilation, call it "IDM tribute to _________" with any sort of futurey sounding thing in the blank, and it would work just as well, even with the exact same songs.

edit:

Guys come on, you should know me well enough to know that I like chaotic music.

I see what you mean. I think the direction I would take it if I had any artistic ability musicwise would be "organic", if that makes any sense. Would the "organic" sensibilities of Bonobo or Bibio's music (their music evokes imagery of warmth, forestry, wooded areas nature etc for me) work well with the chaotic (Mycorrhizae) percussion of Autechre or something?

That's just how I'm looking at it. I'm excited to hear what people come up with. =)

I'm getting fieldrecording / ambient / soundscape vibes, inter-weaved with processed layers of intrinsic natural qualities of the sounds recorded.

I agree that it might be a bit challenging to make a song that has something to do with Mycorrhizae. But it's far from impossible, and I know a bunch of music makers in the community are up for the challenge.

If you are hard pressed for ideas, I encourage you to think about the interplay between the two different kingdoms. Plants and fungi are totally different kinds of life, and yet they join their roots and share their live blood. Try representing the different kingdoms and finding ways to make them interact. That is an idea that is just asking to be put into music.

There are also other aspects of Mycorrhizae that no doubt will be represented. So don't just be limited to the first idea that comes to my mind,

I'm making a tribute to the loss of a great contestant, caves.

caves. you were the best. i loved being inside of you in the darkness. i loved how your walls were so slimy and wet 24/7.

it was also great that you let me pee inside of you since there was no bathroom for miles.

but a las, a winner has been chosen and i will respect that decision.

john_terry_thumbs_up.jpg

Archived