IGNORED

Music you listened to too much and is now overkill forever

Bechuga

I went a bit crazy on MF DOOM's catalogue over the years - Operation Doomsday, MM FOOD, King Geedorah, (the underrated) Viktor Vaughn... all were positively hammered, definitely had to take a break from them for a while (I still maintain MM FOOD was his finest hour).

Holy shit YEEEEEES. Madvillainy was one of those pandora's boxes for me as a music fan. I listened to all of his material endlessly. Fucking jammed Metal Fingers Special Herbs series in my sophmore year of college.

This track. Fuck. Years later I heard a lot of sample sources, including this one, and it was no less amazing:

http://youtu.be/4bKipqt713o

Geedorah is very underrated. Need to give MM FOOD another spin. Saw him in 2007 before the imposter nonsense.

Burned out on his reissues though. Even the Doomsday cassette reissue didn't make me give in.

Same era I forgot: grime music. Lady Sovereign, Wiley, Dizzee Rascal, The Streets. Was all over that shit, and classic dubstep too. For a good year I got really into future garage via turntable.fm

Listened to this SOOOO much too

House MD ruined that one Massive Attack song (Teardrop?)

CSI fucked with The Who so much too, but I don't mind.

YEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights: An album I listened to in college at a time when I was incredibly depressed and in love with a girl who couldn't love me. When I listen to it now, it doesn't feel the same and I just have a few bad feelings about it despite it being one of my all-time favorites.

There are more, but I can't seem to think of them right now. I guess I could say I burned myself out on indie rock or whatever you want to call it. I spent a good 10 years or so (2003 - 2013) listening to a lot of indie, but now I'm back in IDM/braindance mode. Not much indie rock interests me right now.

TOTBL is a hugely emotional album for my wife and I. In fact, she was kind of in your position. We were intensely close friends at the time and she introduced me to the album, knowing I'd probably like it. We saw them live in Feb. 2005 before we started dating/going steady/being cosmic partners in life/marriage. Anyway, at some point we both rarely, rarely listened to it for years, then slowly returned to it. So it's this funny artifact of that emotional and turbulent but kinda oddly nostalgic time for both of us.

Maybe put it away and bust it out when you enter some new chapter in your life. It'll take on new meaning.

Rock music, or heavily lyrical music, is funny like that. With few exceptions so many bands and albums are chance encounters tied to personal feelings and experiences. Good music is good music, and influential stuff will have objective appeal, but so much as a fan is tied to personal tastes and context. That's why everyone has their guilty pleasure music from childhood or adolescence. For example, I love REM because my dad played it from when I was a toddler. I would of probably still liked them, but some other band could of easily filled that role. On the other hand I'd argue that a huge band like the Beatles or some influential cult album like Spiderland have this "canon" aspect to them that keeps them appealing to new listeners.

Thanks to Florence and the Machine I can no longer stand "you've got the love" by Candi Staton. Well it was the radio who kept playing it who ruined it technically but... Yeah, that. Oh and The Smiths song "how soon is now" was ruined for me by the TV show Charmed. THANKS!!!

I lazily listen to pop and rock on the radio a lot at work. Anything I like I eventually start flipping away from to avoid being burned out.

Holy shit YEEEEEES. Madvillainy was one of those pandora's boxes for me as a music fan. I listened to all of his material endlessly. Fucking jammed Metal Fingers Special Herbs series in my sophmore year of college.

Geedorah is very underrated. Need to give MM FOOD another spin. Saw him in 2007 before the imposter nonsense.

DOOM is someone I never get tired of. His stuff is just timeless. Sometimes I listen to Madvillainy and Take Me to Your Leader on repeat several times in a row.

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights: An album I listened to in college at a time when I was incredibly depressed and in love with a girl who couldn't love me. When I listen to it now, it doesn't feel the same and I just have a few bad feelings about it despite it being one of my all-time favorites.

There are more, but I can't seem to think of them right now. I guess I could say I burned myself out on indie rock or whatever you want to call it. I spent a good 10 years or so (2003 - 2013) listening to a lot of indie, but now I'm back in IDM/braindance mode. Not much indie rock interests me right now.

TOTBL is a hugely emotional album for my wife and I. In fact, she was kind of in your position. We were intensely close friends at the time and she introduced me to the album, knowing I'd probably like it. We saw them live in Feb. 2005 before we started dating/going steady/being cosmic partners in life/marriage. Anyway, at some point we both rarely, rarely listened to it for years, then slowly returned to it. So it's this funny artifact of that emotional and turbulent but kinda oddly nostalgic time for both of us.

Maybe put it away and bust it out when you enter some new chapter in your life. It'll take on new meaning.

Rock music, or heavily lyrical music, is funny like that. With few exceptions so many bands and albums are chance encounters tied to personal feelings and experiences. Good music is good music, and influential stuff will have objective appeal, but so much as a fan is tied to personal tastes and context. That's why everyone has their guilty pleasure music from childhood or adolescence. For example, I love REM because my dad played it from when I was a toddler. I would of probably still liked them, but some other band could of easily filled that role. On the other hand I'd argue that a huge band like the Beatles or some influential cult album like Spiderland have this "canon" aspect to them that keeps them appealing to new listeners.

That's interesting that your wife has similar memories of that record. It's such an emotional and sincere album, it's like it was made to be the soundtrack for longing or whatever. I don't know, it's just perfect in every way. I agree that I don't need to listen to it again for quite some time. Although it is a very important album to me, I guess I'll never get what I used to get out of it without constantly thinking about that period of time and getting sad. That was over 10 years ago now. No need to bring that up now, especially since I don't even talk to the person I associate it with.

On a slightly different note, part of the reason I don't feel the same about TOTBL or Interpol in general is because I saw them back in 2007, and I met Paul Banks after the show. Without going into the details, he was sort of rude to me while being genial to others around me, so that sort of soured me on their music, but not much. I just think about that on occasion when I hear certain songs.

Guest Radioactive Mind

I'll go with OP on this, Metallica was fine when I was 13 but now sounds infuriatingly familiar.

But I'm waiting for this to happen with Sultana from Heterotic's last LP. I've listened to that at least twice a day since it appeared on Soundcloud but it's just far too sexy to deteriorate. One time for 5 hours straight, even :mu-ziq: thinks I'm a lost cause.

Archived