IGNORED

Well isn't this interesting, Portreath Harbour test pressing

eh Speedy

As I said, Richard himself told me, unprompted, that he had to contribute two tracks for the SOSW reissue for WARP and they were literally the first two tracks he pulled off a DAT marked Polygon Window - even made a point to say not to tell WARP (at the time). This was when I was in regular contact with Richard, so unless he was baking up some porky pies, I see no reason for him to say such a thing. Again, though - Richard. :happy:

maybe it was a dat marked polygon window because it was used as a master for a planned polygon window single that got as far as having a test press

:cat:

As I said, Richard himself told me, unprompted, that he had to contribute two tracks for the SOSW reissue for WARP and they were literally the first two tracks he pulled off a DAT marked Polygon Window - even made a point to say not to tell WARP (at the time). This was when I was in regular contact with Richard, so unless he was baking up some porky pies, I see no reason for him to say such a thing. Again, though - Richard. :happy:

maybe it was a dat marked polygon window because it was used as a master for a planned polygon window single that got as far as having a test press

Confirmed this was a test pressing made around the time of the 2001 reissue, not from 92-93, so the WARP EP catalogue # fits. Odd they would do a test pressing considering SOSW wasn't reissued on vinyl - the tracks only appear on the CD version. I guess there were plans for a vinyl EP of these tracks, or they just pressed some up for promotional purposes.

Apparently there is a Windowlicker test pressing that is different than the retail release - would really like to know if it is different than any of the released versions of Windowlicker (US/UK/Japan), or something unique to the test pressing.

• Like 1

Confirmed this was a test pressing made around the time of the 2001 reissue, not from 92-93, so the WARP EP catalogue # fits. Odd they would do a test pressing considering SOSW wasn't reissued on vinyl - the tracks only appear on the CD version. I guess there were plans for a vinyl EP of these tracks, or they just pressed some up for promotional purposes.

Apparently there is a Windowlicker test pressing that is different than the retail release - would really like to know if it is different than any of the released versions of Windowlicker (US/UK/Japan), or something unique to the test pressing.

Dunno, the demo version of Windowlicker was underwhelming, I'd hate to see what version they left off.

Would explain why this test pressing is labeled as "MkII"

• 5 years later...

Rephlex crew had a party one night in Dublin summer of 2001, think it was at or near Vicar Street. They were tagging in and out all night, someone played Redruth School and it was on a record.

I'd love to have Portreath Harbour on wax.

Interesting tidbit from a Discogs reply on that release:

Warp pressed a thousand of those. But before it was released, Richard D James got aware of this and told warp they had no legal right to print that record due to contract specifics and they had to destroy the whole batch. The only copies that got away were so through Bleep, as surprise gifts to good buyers, as they used to do. I know since I got one and one of the guys managing Bleep back then emailed me to to keep the record out of discogs and not tell anyone about it since they could get trouble from RD James because of that.

• Like 1

I remember getting random records from WarpNet (pre-bleep) with my orders, that was pretty cool. Test pressings from Black Dog, Anti Pop Consortium, etc...

Wish the forum would auto merge all consecutive replies cuz now I've got three posts ugh

Looks like Mike Dred auctioned his copy in 2015 with Richard's permission and it fetched £563:

https://www.popsike.com/VERY-RARE-POLYGON-WINDOW-APHEX-TWIN-WHITE-LABEL-WAP-146/131543613787.html

This 12” never went in to production and only a few test pressings exist.  

The only two people I know that have a copy is Richard himself and G at Rephlex.

Think I'm gonna believe that over a rando on Discogs talking about 1000 copies being pressed and destroyed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hijexx said:

Looks like Mike Dred auctioned his copy in 2015 with Richard's permission and it fetched £563:

https://www.popsike.com/VERY-RARE-POLYGON-WINDOW-APHEX-TWIN-WHITE-LABEL-WAP-146/131543613787.html

Think I'm gonna believe that over a rando on Discogs talking about 1000 copies being pressed and destroyed.

nice work.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, hijexx said:

I remember getting random records from WarpNet (pre-bleep) with my orders, that was pretty cool. Test pressings from Black Dog, Anti Pop Consortium, etc...

Wish the forum would auto merge all consecutive replies cuz now I've got three posts ugh

It auto-merges if the posts are made within 2 minutes - should I increase that threshold?

On 1/20/2020 at 9:57 AM, hijexx said:

Yeah, no way there were 1000 test pressings - that's close to how many pressings they do for releases... Most likely 10 or less akin to the CWLP, CAT002, and CAT087. For some odd reason ABB 5 seems to be the one that has quite a few test pressings made in comparison to all the others.

16 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

It auto-merges if the posts are made within 2 minutes - should I increase that threshold?

Nah 2 min seems reasonable, I just have Slack habits at this point, need to remember the forum post context when posting lol

• 3 years later...