IGNORED

Robin Williams has died.

NorthernFusion

hanging yourself is just such a huge self-middle finger. can someone willingly hang? can hanging happen without waking up the struggle-to-survive instinct? when your fully consumed by the goal of survival you don't have any room left to contemplate your sins. is that the point? people keep saying he was battling demons but i'm wondering... if this man had demons strong enough to cause him to do that to himself... maybe there is some reason that he doesn't deserve our respect, love or attention.

Umm what?

First off, the will to survive is not absolute, and it's merely a function of our desire to have control over our lives (i.e. the so-called 'will to power').

Secondly, good people commit suicide. It is not done only out of shame or guilt; It is often done simply out of hopelessness.

Thirdly (and only semi-related) I'm always amazed when I meet a person who hasn't felt the depths of a suicidal depression. I guess I always just assume that such experiences are universal.

sometimes suicide is hopelessness and other times its just guilt murder pointed inwards. drug fueled mania with vast resources and the ability to skip around the world makes Mr Williams a prime candidate for skeletons in the closet. I don't think suicide should always trigger an investigation into someones past but if I was a cop my gut instinct would have me intercepting some of the rips headed his way just as a moral precaution. on the human level i think robin williams just looks like an average creep.

Robin Williams was a sweet guy with problems. Show me one person without problems.

But really, it kinda sounds like you're not studied up on mental illness. You seem to want to see this through a moralistic lens.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hanging yourself is just such a huge self-middle finger. can someone willingly hang? can hanging happen without waking up the struggle-to-survive instinct? when your fully consumed by the goal of survival you don't have any room left to contemplate your sins. is that the point? people keep saying he was battling demons but i'm wondering... if this man had demons strong enough to cause him to do that to himself... maybe there is some reason that he doesn't deserve our respect, love or attention.

Umm what?

First off, the will to survive is not absolute, and it's merely a function of our desire to have control over our lives (i.e. the so-called 'will to power').

Secondly, good people commit suicide. It is not done only out of shame or guilt; It is often done simply out of hopelessness.

Thirdly (and only semi-related) I'm always amazed when I meet a person who hasn't felt the depths of a suicidal depression. I guess I always just assume that such experiences are universal.

sometimes suicide is hopelessness and other times its just guilt murder pointed inwards. drug fueled mania with vast resources and the ability to skip around the world makes Mr Williams a prime candidate for skeletons in the closet. I don't think suicide should always trigger an investigation into someones past but if I was a cop my gut instinct would have me intercepting some of the rips headed his way just as a moral precaution. on the human level i think robin williams just looks like an average creep.

Robin Williams was a sweet guy with problems. Show me one person without problems.

But really, it kinda sounds like you're not studied up on mental illness. You seem to want to see this through a moralistic lens.

I think there is a stark difference between a person on the outside looking in on mental illness and a person who has experienced mental illness.

There is a certain amount of experiential bias that comes into play for self validation.... I'm not identifying either of you as that person, but I think it's important to consider that there may be more than one right answer to a subject like this depending on from which paradigm your comments emerge.

I for one agree with Radar in his comment that suicide like this is a selfish act. Whether or not this is fueled by hopelessness or whatever, there's a point where, if you are a good person you will consider taking the more selfless act of continuing life over suicide simply because you yourself are hopeless, if only for the sole reason that you serve some sort of utility to your friends and family.

For the record, I think Robin was an amazing guy and I loved all of his work, he seemed very genuine and was very talented. I can see this thread heading down an interesting path and figured I'd add my 2 cents.

Stay happy

Did he seem genuine? He seemed genuinely bonkers! Now, that was a guy that had a screw or 23 loose in his head, and had found an outlet for it.

Obv is very hard being that fucking crazy, I know that much, and I don't think I'm even minus 90 million percent as crazy as he was, but no-one here knows how crazy he was from interviews and his film and standup.

None of you knew him you just felt like you did, a kindred spirit, a crazy mentalist that ended up reaching for the 'power off' switch and it's none of anyone's business why.

What was going through his mind must have been terrifying and dark. To have what many of us would consider everything. Great career, great kids, well to do lifestyle, and he still took himself. Depression is the epitome of irrationality.

Whether he was selfish or not is totally out of the question. There's something else intrinsically wrong which trumps selfishness at the door. Something that killed an uncle I never met. It's sad but hopefully 'depression' will be eliminated someday.

Turns out the details of his suicide are eerily similar to the staged suicide in the film.

I talked with a wine sample guy last night who thought for sure that it was the hollywood hit squad. He said there have been way too many celebrity deaths recently.

Have to admit I considered his words.

Guest RadarJammer

you killed yourself. you're a murderer. now that i know you're a killer. i wanna know how many. just the 1? ok then. rest in peace. till then its just ???? floating through the air. no grave flowers growing in question county.

you killed yourself. you're a murderer. now that i know you're a killer. i wanna know how many. just the 1? ok then. rest in peace. till then its just ???? floating through the air. no grave flowers growing in question county.

That's pretty cold. I don't understand why you're putting this heavy moralistic twist on the matter.

Guest bitroast

I think the only time committing suicide casts suspicion on the person as a killer is when it is a murder suicide.

I can't even fathom that this is being considered or discussed.

radarjammers thoughts seem half considered and deliberately offensive/provocative.

to post them in this thread is a huge self-middle finger to everyone saddened by the news of robin williams passing (which seems to be the general reaction to the matter).

*posts screengrab of genie hugging aladdin*

You are a disgusting person. You have a really mean heart.

Guest Roksen Creek

What was going through his mind must have been terrifying and dark. To have what many of us would consider everything. Great career, great kids, well to do lifestyle, and he still took himself. Depression is the epitome of irrationality.

Whether he was selfish or not is totally out of the question. There's something else intrinsically wrong which trumps selfishness at the door. Something that killed an uncle I never met. It's sad but hopefully 'depression' will be eliminated someday.

Yeah I agree. People who automatically think it's selfish to commit suicide are looking at it from an extremely simplistic point of view. People do irrational fucked up things when they are in a really dark place. They think irrationally. They are in mental chaos. Selfishness and selflessness do not come into it.

The World According to Garp. See that one if you haven't. Also his standup special live on broadway.

When I heard about this it just felt terrible.

To be clear, I'm saying the act is inherently selfish, not that he had any selfish intent. Someone that was as ill as him is likely irrational and doesn't have full control of their actions. If you are healthy you would make a more rational choice to preserve your life.

I don't see how that's ludicrous.

I suffer from cyclical depression and anciety myself

To be clear, I'm saying the act is inherently selfish, not that he had any selfish intent. Someone that was as ill as him is likely irrational and doesn't have full control of their actions. If you are healthy you would make a more rational choice to preserve your life.

I don't see how that's ludicrous.

I suffer from cyclical depression and anciety myself

I know you do, SG. I wasn't really aiming this at you anyway. As far as I'm concerned, he was a pretty selfless guy, on all accounts, but never really took care of himself. But, I get where you're coming from, however, I still don't see it as selfish, he's suffered for a long time and his family probably knew that. Of course, it's awful for his wife and kids to have lost a husband and father, but at the same time, they must've been aware of the pain he was in. Do you think they'll resent him for it?

Sorry, thought you meant me my apologies. Maybe selfish is the wrong word because that implies he cared more about

Himself when really it's a hopeless total lack of caring that usually accompanies depression... I don't think his family will resent him in the long term because they probably are in a position of understanding.

Sad story all around =(

Guest fiznuthian

this kinda hit me hard lately (celebrity deaths usually don't) because robin was a big part of my youth and always seemed like a humble guy. i don't think suicide is selfish or really anything but the desire to end suffering. in a lot of cases this is hardly even irrational anyway. what's life when it's nothing but sadness, anguish, anxiety, fear, or pain?

Archived