IGNORED

Robin Williams has died.

NorthernFusion

The whole mental illness thing is kind of limpdick. It doesn't answer anything.

It's like: "Oh, you're just chemically imbalanced! Take this pill! You're just a chemically imbalanced monkey versus these monkeys over here who are in fact chemically balanced. We don't know why these ones are and these ones aren't! Maybe the reason we don't know is due to another type of chemical imbalance! There must be some monkeys somewhere who do know, who don't have that imbalance. Maybe the depressed monkeys are the ones who ARE balanced! Maybe we are the ones who need a pill!"

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's like: "Oh, you're just chemically imbalanced! Take this pill! You're just a chemically imbalanced monkey versus these monkeys over here who are in fact chemically balanced. We don't know why these ones are and these ones aren't! Maybe the reason we don't know is due to another type of chemical imbalance! There must be some monkeys somewhere who do know, who don't have that imbalance. Maybe the depressed monkeys are the ones who ARE balanced! Maybe we are the ones who need a pill!"

Are you saying that mood disorders don't exist or something? Psychiatry is a sham?

Are you saying that mood disorders don't exist or something? Psychiatry is a sham?

sheathentology

I think the most important reason was the Hollywood scene. They all live in a fairy tail out there. I think lots of them forget to think rationally thinking that their entertainment jobs are important, but it's "just" entertainment.

Art is a beautiful thing, to convey feelings etc. but in the end, it's objectively not important at all. No disrespect or anything, but I think maybe he just lost touch with reality.

It's a shame, he looked like a sympathetic guy.

you don't go to a psychologist/therapist/psychiatrist because you're chemically imbalanced. you go there because you're having a hard time functioning and doing simple day to day activities like going outside, talking to others, maintaining hygiene, etc.

yes, the root cause of these things is in a brain, and usually in a brain with an abnormal balance of neurotransmitters, but that's not the only aspect of mental illness.

Sometimes I wonder if a depressed worldview isn't just as logical.

Not saying it is. Just saying.

its not a world view. its terrifying. like being ina thousand car wrecks. like falling down a well its not "how you look at things"

going to chime in with this being one of the most affecting celeb deaths ever. the world feels like a darker place without the man. I'm always trying to find a reason to be happy in spite of the world and knowing that someone like him has decided to call it quits just makes everything seem all the more futile and meaningless.

and fuck the celeb aspect by the way, he was a man. a man who brought happiness and laughs to many people, and who ultimately lost his battle (or simply decided to quit the game, depending on how you see it - his right to choose) with his demons. I have nothing but sympathy for him and I miss him.

sheathentology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PElNdMNwtus

shanti shanti shanti

what a crazy thing, robin williams of all people. what was he thinking? dude must have been looped out. what kind of problem could possibly have faced him that had no better way of being handled? he probably fried his fucking brain, the only feelings he could feel were negative ones and they warped all the ideas he could think. i bet he fucked up his receptors or inhibitors or whatever on some stupid fucking coke binge, snorting shit that 10 different drug dealers cut with their own special recipes on dirty coffee tables, mixing it with downers so he didn't get a heart attack and to quell the paranoia, going on for days on end in a hotel room, watching tv, surfing the internet. maybe he didn't even have a good time, he just felt compelled because he was in the habit.

and people have the audacity to act like fear and loathing style drug use is fine. hunter thompson was snorting coke every thirty minutes toward the end of his life.

be careful with your brains, people.

what a crazy thing, robin williams of all people. what was he thinking? dude must have been looped out. what kind of problem could possibly have faced him that had no better way of being handled? he probably fried his fucking brain, the only feelings he could feel were negative ones and they warped all the ideas he could think. i bet he fucked up his receptors or inhibitors or whatever on some stupid fucking coke binge, snorting shit that 10 different drug dealers cut with their own special recipes on dirty coffee tables, mixing it with downers so he didn't get a heart attack and to quell the paranoia, going on for days on end in a hotel room, watching tv, surfing the internet. maybe he didn't even have a good time, he just felt compelled because he was in the habit.

and people have the audacity to act like fear and loathing style drug use is fine. hunter thompson was snorting coke every thirty minutes toward the end of his life.

His widow has said he was sober at the time of his death, and was apparently in the beginning stages of Parkinson's disease - couple that with bipolar disorder, and he probably had enough of this life, despite all that he would leave behind. That, or he didn't want to degenerate and make his family suffer at his expense, and better to remember him when he was still at his best physically.

better to remember him when he was still at his best physically.

This is a nice thought.

This is a nice thought.

What is this? Logan's Run?

People are only worthwhile in peak health? I guess Steven Hawkins should have offed himself long ago, forget his contributions that happened since then.

This is a nice thought.

People are only worthwhile in peak health? I guess Steven Hawkins should have offed himself long ago, forget his contributions that happened since then.

social darwinism is the new black bruh, didn't you get the memo?

This is a nice thought.

You missed my point - in his mind, rather than burden his family with ill health, finances associated with caring for him, seeing him deteriorate, etc. he decided the pain of his suicide would be "quicker" than a long, drawn out illness. Ripping the bandage off quickly, to use a metaphor. Hawkins came down with his illness fairly early in his life, and his personality (he wasn't burdened with the mental issues Williams had) and mindset deemed that he would not allow the illness to overtake him or prevent him from accomplishing his important work.

His wife announced that he had early signs of Parkinson's, now things start to make a little more sense. I guess he didn't want to get to the stage where he'd be dependent on his family or not be able to communicate properly, that on top of the underlying severe depression would make a lot of people consider the route he took.

Rest in peace.

Bingo. Sad, but in a way I can understand his thinking (if that was indeed why he did what he did). Considering the financial pressures he was under as well, he might have thought that this would also solve those issues (life insurance) and he wouldn't leave behind as many problems for his family to deal with.

What's really unsettling is we have 4 more movies Williams is in coming out - seeing him now onscreen after all this will be odd, for sure.

That being said, my son has never seen Good Morning Vietnam - time to revisit that classic, methinks.

Archived