IGNORED

SYRO $400 "Limited Edition" 3xLP

Rubin Farr

The scary thing to me about this is that it means we're getting old. You know like how the baby boomers shell out upwards of a thousand dollars to see Springsteen or Paul McCartney.

Fifteen years ago I probably wouldn't have bought this but now it's not that expensive to me and I'll fully admit to being a collector (although Aphex is not at the top of my list).

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scary thing to me about this is that it means we're getting old. You know like how the baby boomers shell out upwards of a thousand dollars to see Springsteen or Paul McCartney.

Fifteen years ago I probably wouldn't have bought this but now it's not that expensive to me and I'll fully admit to being a collector (although Aphex is not at the top of my list).

So, when WATMMer gets a mid-life crisis he/she will shell out money on limited vinyls instead of buying a motorbike and a leather jacket like regular peoples?

If I don't get it - meh, so what - even if it had exclusive music on it, that will end up available in some form or another

JR just said it's okay to steal music everyone. Someone screen cap this before he takes it down. :rtfm::emotawesomepm9:

Who cares if it's 180g vinyl or not - it's not like you'd play the thing anyways, and you can buy the WAV/FLAC and get better than vinyl sounding tracks.

And this is why I rarely buy vinyl.

I'm going to post this image. no explanation. those who get it will get it, those who don't will not.

efKGkvc.png

Yes, yes, vinyl is different and could sometimes provide a different experience to a listener's ears, but different does not equal better. And I've never seen an argument that convinced me (or many) of anything else. If you gots the argument, bring it on.

I'll just post this image, no explanation.

bring-it-on.jpg

If I don't get it - meh, so what - even if it had exclusive music on it, that will end up available in some form or another

JR just said it's okay to steal music everyone. Someone screen cap this before he takes it down. :rtfm::emotawesomepm9:

Who cares if it's 180g vinyl or not - it's not like you'd play the thing anyways, and you can buy the WAV/FLAC and get better than vinyl sounding tracks.

playing flac off of your mp3 player is likely not better sound quality than vinyl

depends on your mp3 player

ipods sound terrible even with flac

playing flac off of your mp3 player is likely not better sound quality than vinyl

depends on your mp3 player

ipods sound terrible even with flac

Sounds much better to my ears. Listening to the CD versus the vinyl (even with adequate/decent playback) has never, not once, impressed me.

Occasionally I've gone "Hey, this sounds pretty good. The vinyl brings a different quality to this recording of which I am terribly intimate with in its CD version. That's interesting and perhaps comparable! Still isn't better though!" But that's it.

DIGITAL MASTER RACE OWNZ

I'm surprised you find the sound quality off of a $10 audio chip (ipods use wolfson for most of their generations I believe) better than high end cartridges.

MP3 players seriously color the sound!

To each their own of course.

Happy listening. =)

I'm surprised you find the sound quality off of a $10 audio chip (ipods use wolfson for most of their generations I believe) better than high end cartridges.

MP3 players seriously color the sound!

To each their own of course.

Happy listening. =)

Yeah, it makes me crazy how little care Apple puts into selecting their DAC. Everything they make sounds pretty shit.

Lol Stephen. It's not like the only listening choices are 'audiophile-quality vinyl set up' or 'iPod lolz.' Those two are not comparable, yr silly,

If anyone would like to convince me why vinyl > digital though, please direct me to an appropriate (non-Apex) thread and show me some relevant sources and I'll gladly talk!

Lol Stephen. It's not like the only listening choices are 'audiophile-quality vinyl set up' or 'iPod lolz.' Those two are not comparable, yr silly,

If anyone would like to convince me why vinyl > digital though, please direct me to an appropriate (non-Apex) thread and show me some relevant sources and I'll gladly talk!

I just mean that... just because you are using flac does not mean you're getting a lossless experience if your playback device (ipod being a popular one) doesn't output good sound.

I think you are probably more likely to get a lossless experience off vinyl though admittedly a cheap cartridge will be just as bad as a cheap mp3 player.

Ultimately, just because you got flac doesn't mean you're getting the highest sound quality.

Edit: no different than listening to your vinyl on $10 speakers. Not a HQ experience.

What's the standard Warp non-audiophile pressing come in at, 120 grams? L-event was advertised as 140g but I don't remember if that was a special case or not.

Would have preferred a bit heavier this time around of course, mostly because my turntable isn't super high end and tracks kind of heavy and it makes me paranoid. Exai @ 180g is the best sounding record I have, but I don't have a huge collection so can't say if it's because of the vinyl or because of rob and sean being much better than everyone else at everything. Probably the latter.

Warp pls

edits: because I am so tired

the reason why ppl sometimes or even more often than that prefer vinyl is NOT cause it's a superior medium but b/c vinyl is a collection of human mistakes (in post-production) and technical errors (insufficient dynamic range of the medium and inadequate reproduction of a playback system) that cumulatively can and to many ppl usually does sound more pleasant then digital playback.

the other thing is abuse of digital formats in todays production, with over compression and distortion, with the amounts of limiting that can't be pressed on vinyl (cause vinyl is inferior, remember, it just can't handle it) so music that ends up on vinyl is usually less limited in the mastering stage and a little bit more compressed but with a 'rounder' type of compression. why is it then more compressed? cause of vinyl's lower bit-depth (speaking in digital terms up to 68 bits in theory), to avoid noise and to 'place' music within its possibly press-able and reproducible dynamic range. i could go on but we talk about this like millions of times so far....

@oscillik - that's a nice picture my friend but we can't hear sounds beyond 20 kHz even as a 10 yr olds and in our age not even beyond 18 k so no use from the extended bandwidth in any theory and even if we can hear it vinyl couldn't reproduce it as correctly as digital in, let's say 96 kHz of sampling rate. it's mostly noise.

but what about the nulls?

if you'r saying what i think you'r saying than laal lol lek kek

but i wasnt THAT scientifically abrasive, was i?

hehe nah you're good m8 :beer:

edit: just pokin fun atcha!

Oh so if I connect my Zune to a fish and use that as a speaker it won't sound as good as if I spend $20,000 on an audiophile quality vinyl set up? You don't say.

For 'quality' listening, I have a real computer that I use through a real mixer into real studio monitors (admittedly not great for casual listening, but since we're playing the mostly-bullshit 'quality' game here, it's worth mentioning). I also use a real CD player into a real stereo amplifier into real consumer speakers. Oh, and a car with a barely-decent stock stereo system.

I also have a real record player that pushes through a small amp into my aforementioned mixer into the also mentioned studio monitors. I've also had this run through the stereo amplifier set up.

I say all this to say that I have A/Bed vinyl vs. digital (CD or lossless files) and have not once ever been overly joyed by the vinyl experience; in fact, it's most often underwhelming. I can say the same for other similar situations, as in friends with hi-fi equipment. Never have I once said "wow, that sounds better on vinyl" and I'm not sure it has ever happened to anyone. Someone may personally prefer the experience of vinyl, as xox mentioned above, and that's fine. Nothing in the world wrong with any of that.

But when someone claims that vinyl is technically, provably, scientifically better than digital, I want to see the proof. Say that you like it more all day, but my argument is that it's not because vinyl is of a higher quality in any way, but rather the aesthetics and other factors that are involved.

And again, can we please move the discussion elsewhere? I feel this is very off-topic for this thread.

I stopped talking about it 4:23PM my time. edit: that's 3 hours ago.

It's you writing the long paragraphs about it to someone that's already educated on the topic.

WATMM!

Archived