IGNORED

The end of Rephlex Records?

Herr Jan

So for a few months there was speculation about Rephlex slowly fading into obscurity, taking into account the disappearance of rephlex.com, the vague sublabel albums that were only recognisably Rephlex because a symbol on the artwork that was resembling the Rephlex logo + a part of the barcode was the CAT#. Also we had our own messaien confirm Richard said something along the lines of "killing off" Rephlex. Still a lot of us had good hope they were just shapeshifting, taking a new form with the bandcamps, the emailorders of EDM and Aleksi Perala, etc., even though since APMusik - MU3 there were no CAT#'s to be found anymore.

Yesterday though, it seemed like it was finally officially confirmed by Richard through an interview with Dutch magazine Oor.nl. Even though it was only a small part of the interview that was published so far, it contained the following about Rephlex:

Journalist: "Is that* reason for Rephlex now (since october 2013) being defunct?"

Richard: "It* didn't help in any case, no, but there was more going on as well."

* = the Analord binder costing between 80-90 pounds each, while selling them for 40 pounds (including Analord 10).

http://oor.nl/#!/articles/aphex_bonus_beats_1_de_marketing_van_syro/news

Now I assume this wasn't the whole conversation about Rephlex so we have to wait until September 11th, when the full interview is released. But since that post there were already a lot of speculations / dedications / memories being shared in the Syro thread but I thought this would be a better place.

More evidence:

- Lysergist just posted something Grant told him (I guess?): "rephlex is no longer trading, we're doing other things".
- The interviews with Grant were he looks back at the achievements and concludes he has done everything he wanted to with Rephlex:

http://www.improvearts.net/planet-rephlex/

http://www.spannered.org/music/1721/

The last Rephlex albums to contain a CAT# were D'Arcangelo's Audiovisual Designs and BW's Good Programs. Those were both #235. APMusik - MU3 also got a CAT# (234), after that no Aleksi release had a barcode, CAT# or anything.

The last official Rephlex release, bearing the logo and name, was Pierre Bastien - Machinations.

Post your thoughts, evidence on the demise, fave tracks/albums/mixes, memories, etc. of the coolest record label on earth :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

* = the Analord binder costing between 80-90 pounds each, while selling them for 40 pounds (including Analord 10).[/i]

Someone ripped Rephlex off there - The ring binder seemed real flimsy, the 'gold' coloured stamping seemed of pretty cheap ink and was just vinyl/lino covered hard card. I'd say it should've cost them more 8-9 pounds each (and then whatever the cost of the 12'' on top)

Why don't they put their back catalogue in bandcamp or something? I mean the overhead would be really small and they'd get money out of it.

The Rephlex logo on any record guaranteed something special. I got into them in the second half of the 90s and they were releasing some left of center stuff. Ovuca's Lactavent was dear to me as a DYI lo-fi distorted album with 'who gives a fuck' melodies and crunchy sounds. It sounded like back alley garbage can techno and I loved it.

* = the Analord binder costing between 80-90 pounds each, while selling them for 40 pounds (including Analord 10).[/i]

Someone ripped Rephlex off there - The ring binder seemed real flimsy, the 'gold' coloured stamping seemed of pretty cheap ink and was just vinyl/lino covered hard card. I'd say it should've cost them more 8-9 pounds each (and then whatever the cost of the 12'' on top)

Too bad I don't have the binder (infinite regrets on that decision, but had no access to a creditcard at the time), but someone here also said it was supposed to be a leather binder but it didn't turned out to be.

Assuming Richard is telling the truth of course, it seems like a really weird investment looking back on it. But like he also said in that same interview: Grant and him were never looking at these things from a realistic pov, just "fuck it, go for it", blaming their 'naivety' as one of the reasons for it's supposed downfall.

Too bad I don't have the binder (infinite regrets on that decision, but had no access to a creditcard at the time), but someone here also said it was supposed to be a leather binder but it didn't turned out to be.

Aye its just that plastic laminate stuff. I mean it's nice to have but I really don't believe it cost 80-90 quid at cost price

Why don't they put their back catalogue in bandcamp or something? I mean the overhead would be really small and they'd get money out of it.

Because unlike independent artists who aren't tied to a publisher like Chrysalis, that's not a problem - when all your output is tied to a publisher, they get a cut of everything you release - so it's not easy to just bung something up on Bandcamp, as I imagine individual track sales is probably a nightmare for one person to sort out what the publisher gets. Probably the reason Rephlex didn't just move to any of the digital storefronts. Not to mention, Bandcamp then takes it's cut as well, further reducing profits, making the whole effort of it not worthwhile.

Assuming Richard is telling the truth of course, it seems like a really weird investment looking back on it. But like he also said in that same interview: Grant and him were never looking at these things from a realistic pov, just "fuck it, go for it", blaming their 'naivety' as one of the reasons for it's supposed downfall.

I think something got lost in translation - I don't think the Analord binder was ever intended on being "real" leather, and speaking from experience, foil stamping is very expensive - just having the stamp made is pretty costly, and then the price-per-unit adds into that. Add to that the fulfillment aspect (boxing everything up, the costs of shipping materials, putting the vinyl in the sleeves, etc.), and it quickly eats away any potential profits.

Because unlike independent artists who aren't tied to a publisher like Chrysalis, that's not a problem - when all your output is tied to a publisher, they get a cut of everything you release - so it's not easy to just bung something up on Bandcamp, as I imagine individual track sales is probably a nightmare for one person to sort out what the publisher gets. Probably the reason Rephlex didn't just move to any of the digital storefronts. Not to mention, Bandcamp then takes it's cut as well, further reducing profits, making the whole effort of it not worthwhile.

I think something got lost in translation - I don't think the Analord binder was ever intended on being "real" leather, and speaking from experience, foil stamping is very expensive - just having the stamp made is pretty costly, and then the price-per-unit adds into that. Add to that the fulfillment aspect (boxing everything up, the costs of shipping materials, putting the vinyl in the sleeves, etc.), and it quickly eats away any potential profits.

Right, just checked it and it was advertised as a "custom" binder - http://web.archive.org/web/20050110224908/http://www.rephlex.com/analord10.php

Still a lot of talk about a "faux-leather" or "leather" binder on the web, but no official word for it. It seems logical that the 80-90 pounds has to be including all those extra costs you mentioned. It wasn't exactly a lightweight product...

The Rephlex logo on any record guaranteed something special. I got into them in the second half of the 90s and they were releasing some left of center stuff. Ovuca's Lactavent was dear to me as a DYI lo-fi distorted album with 'who gives a fuck' melodies and crunchy sounds. It sounded like back alley garbage can techno and I loved it.

Nice description :) totally agree. I started following Rephlex around Astrobotnia so I found out about Lactavent and Onclements later, but man, what a trip

The last official Rephlex release, bearing the logo and name, was Pierre Bastien - Machinations.

really sad to see this genius DVD is thrown on youtube with only 5000 views and 2 comments:

Having somewhat mixed feelings about this. Yes, it is sad that there is no more Rephlex but on the other hand it doesn’t really surprise me. All those last year’s great releases made me hopeful that Rephlex are back in the game for good. And then there was the possibility of steinvord tour and (never-continued) interview series by D’arcangelo brother(s). Monolith also mentioned early this year that he was working on ‘’Touch Me’’ album which made it look that they had also some plans for the future. Dave never said it was coming out on Rephlex though. What I couldn’t figure out (and still can’t) was that why they were releasing stuff on various sub-labels? Then there came these rumors of Rephlex morphing into something new and then this. So quite mixed messages. This is what I tried to find out in the EDM thread but no one didn’t seem to have a clue what’s going on.

For me Rephlex has always been Grant doing everything so it’s a wonder he has had energy to continue it this long. Please correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve got the picture that Richard hasn’t been so much involved with the label since the early years apart from his releases. Rephlex have been putting out so amazing releases especially after the re-launch of their website so big thanks for their input.

The irony here is funny though: Rephlex were never known for their amazing PR and so they didn’t even care to announce that they have quit. Yet it’s quite sad that the whole thing just dried. IMO It would have been more appropriate to end it with a style. Like putting out the last kick-ass releases and arranging a Rephlex crew braindance club night with cake and party hats. Now it just ended without anyone really noticing the whole thing.

Having somewhat mixed feelings about this. Yes, it is sad that there is no more Rephlex but on the other hand it doesn’t really surprise me. All those last year’s great releases made me hopeful that Rephlex are back in the game for good. And then there was the possibility of steinvord tour and (never-continued) interview series by D’arcangelo brother(s). Monolith also mentioned early this year that he was working on ‘’Touch Me’’ album which made it look that they had also some plans for the future. Dave never said it was coming out on Rephlex though. What I couldn’t figure out (and still can’t) was that why they were releasing stuff on various sub-labels? Then there came these rumors of Rephlex morphing into something new and then this. So quite mixed messages. This is what I tried to find out in the EDM thread but no one didn’t seem to have a clue what’s going on.

For me Rephlex has always been Grant doing everything so it’s a wonder he has had energy to continue it this long. Please correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve got the picture that Richard hasn’t been so much involved with the label since the early years apart from his releases. Rephlex have been putting out so amazing releases especially after the re-launch of their website so big thanks for their input.

The irony here is funny though: Rephlex were never known for their amazing PR and so they didn’t even care to announce that they have quit. Yet it’s quite sad that the whole thing just dried. IMO It would have been more appropriate to end it with a style. Like putting out the last kick-ass releases and arranging a Rephlex crew braindance club night with cake and party hats. Now it just ended without anyone really noticing the whole thing.

great post, spot on

Rephlex Records 320kbs & FLAC Preservation Society

i'm about 70% there with everything rephlex ever released on CD (aka digital) -- missing some CLASSIXXX like leila CD singles

i have mixed feelings about the lack of digital distribution - either now or in the future. On the one hand, it would be great to have the digital rephlex archive -- for us crazy fans and for people to discover the best record label ever.

On the other, part of my love of rephlex is how off-the-grid it is... it's outdated and mysterious in it's own way and somehow to give it all openly away to the whole internet seems cheap. This is probably very petty but I almost don't want other people to find all the rephlex wonder so easily - it leaves the true crazies like us to crate dig for the treasure...

which brings me to an entire different can of worms with the young music fans of today-- sure they know nicolas jaar and rustie or something rarely anything from the 90s and early 00s - like not even basic channel -- :O

but thats for a different thread

Guest Lysergist

Grant : "rephlex is no longer trading, we're doing other things", I think he means Rephlex is almost dead but continues such as sub-labels like EDM (3 upcoming releases in september, at the same time as Syro, poor Jodey Kendrick), AP Musik (upcoming Colundi Sequence), Audiovisual Design etc...

Ah, ok. Oh well..

I guess the first Rephlex release I actually BOUGHT was Ovuca's Wasted Sunday. But it's almost difficult to listen to because it takes me back to such a specific period in my life, summer of 2001 and so on. That was some weird ass time. Sort of turning point for lots of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW-LmJvTUF0

It was also ''strange'' that CW Compilation and both Tuss EP's were re-pressed last year. At least Boomkat said that they were re-presses. So the question is how long did they know that this will be the end of Rephlex? Seems to me that Grant really tried to get the label running with bunch of new releases and repressing some of the Aphex stuff. Norman records implied that the A2 sold very well but maybe it wasn't enough. :sad:

Just out of curiosity how likely is it that some other label will license the Aphex stuff from Rephlex?

Guest Abstract Daddy

Just a thought but they could be waiting for some of that lovely syro money to come in.

A man can dream.

Grant : "rephlex is no longer trading, we're doing other things", I think he means Rephlex is almost dead but continues such as sub-labels like EDM (3 upcoming releases in september, at the same time as Syro, poor Jodey Kendrick), AP Musik (upcoming Colundi Sequence), Audiovisual Design etc...

I would be feeling even more shit if I didn't have the itch that the EDM series will be continued in spite of Rephlex being no more. And maybe there is also hope for the Steinvord album. Now Mike P. could finally get it/him/they to Planet mu roster. :tongue:

Or better yet Steinvord Warp release since it's two of its biggest acts in the first place :trollface:

i'm about 70% there with everything rephlex ever released on CD (aka digital) -- missing some CLASSIXXX like leila CD singles

i have mixed feelings about the lack of digital distribution - either now or in the future. On the one hand, it would be great to have the digital rephlex archive -- for us crazy fans and for people to discover the best record label ever.

On the other, part of my love of rephlex is how off-the-grid it is... it's outdated and mysterious in it's own way and somehow to give it all openly away to the whole internet seems cheap. This is probably very petty but I almost don't want other people to find all the rephlex wonder so easily - it leaves the true crazies like us to crate dig for the treasure...

70% physical Rephlex stuff? Dang man... I think I'm now at 110 releases (vinyl, cd's, cassette).

Totally agree with the dilemma here. I would be fine with no available archive but that's a bit egotistical maybe. So many good stuff in there, it should be archived, but then just not promoted, proper Rephlex style :emotawesomepm9:

It was also ''strange'' that CW Compilation and both Tuss EP's were re-pressed last year. At least Boomkat said that they were re-presses. So the question is how long did they know that this will be the end of Rephlex? Seems to me that Grant really tried to get the label running with bunch of new releases and repressing some of the Aphex stuff. Norman records implied that the A2 sold very well but maybe it wasn't enough. :sad:

Just out of curiosity how likely is it that some other label will license the Aphex stuff from Rephlex?

I'd say not likely at all. Grant has been repressing those releases regularly. I think the idea behind the last repress (looking back on it) was that they wanted to make sure there was still some nice stuff left because the interest is of course still there, and it will sell out eventually.

That Norman Records Rephlex deal now really makes sense now too. All the rare leftovers just popped up again (Photodementia cassette, 100% genuine, etc.). That was Rephlex/SRD clearing it's closet I guess? Currently I'm checking all the online shops for all the leftover Rephlex stuff that I can buy, probably one of the last chances to buy it new.

Just a thought but they could be waiting for some of that lovely syro money to come in.

A man can dream.

Well, that will go to Richard / Warp. You could also ask yourself what happened to all the eBay / Kickstarter money that went to Rephlex. The biggest chunk went to Richard, but another big chunk went to Grant. I saw it as an investment in new Rephlex releases so I really didn't expect the end.

Hear, hear! 100% agreed.

Talking about a Rephlex club night, oddly enough there is one TONIGHT, in Paris, with Global Goon and Black Devil Disco Club.

main_25880.jpg

http://www.radiocampusparis.org/evenement/mutant-area-invite-rephlex-laplage-de-glazart/

70% physical Rephlex stuff? Dang man... I think I'm now at 110 releases (vinyl, cd's, cassette).

Totally agree with the dilemma here. I would be fine with no available archive but that's a bit egotistical maybe. So many good stuff in there, it should be archived, but then just not promoted, proper Rephlex style :emotawesomepm9:

I'd say not likely at all. Grant has been repressing those releases regularly. I think the idea behind the last repress (looking back on it) was that they wanted to make sure there was still some nice stuff left because the interest is of course still there, and it will sell out eventually.

That Norman Records Rephlex deal now really makes sense now too. All the rare leftovers just popped up again (Photodementia cassette, 100% genuine, etc.). That was Rephlex/SRD clearing it's closet I guess? Currently I'm checking all the online shops for all the leftover Rephlex stuff that I can buy, probably one of the last chances to buy it new.

A man can dream.

Well, that will go to Richard / Warp. You could also ask yourself what happened to all the eBay / Kickstarter money that went to Rephlex. The biggest chunk went to Richard, but another big chunk went to Grant. I saw it as an investment in new Rephlex releases so I really didn't expect the end.

One can always trust on Herr Jan! Thanks for clarifying since I don't know anything of music industry / publishing / licensing etc.It's cool that Grant decided to give them another pressing. I remember scrolling my collection in Discogs and was surprised that Confederation Trough CD went for 120 €. I paid 8€ when it came out. Shame on you greedy people!

One can always trust on Herr Jan! Thanks for clarifying since I don't know anything of music industry / publishing / licensing etc.It's cool that Grant decided to give them another pressing. I remember scrolling my collection in Discogs and was surprised that Confederation Trough CD went for 120 €. I paid 8€ when it came out. Shame on you greedy people!

I'm not sure either but I do know I saw The Tuss being repressed about two or three times. I still see it in some shops in the Netherlands for normal prices. AB4 and Caustic Window Compilation were also pretty regular. There's always a demand for classic Aphex stuff so I guess it's fair to do, to prevent assholes like that to pop up on discogs.

If only they'd repress the vinyl versions, but that's too much hassle / too little profits probably.

Anyway, if there's anyone in Paris reading this, consider going the Rephlex party tonight and see what's up :)

Archived