IGNORED

the sony hacking scandal

Rubin Farr

lel. i've heard horror stories of stuff like that (like a guy staying up for like 8 hours cutting and rebuilding a print he basically ruined). we didn't have a film imax (and only in the last couple of years have gotten a digital limax). we only had 35mm 3 platter strong setups. films usually came in 2-3 cans of 2000 ft reels and were built up to 6k reels then the big reels like yours appeared to be, usually 60-70 lbs. worked at a high profile 16 screen that had films move houses all the time (thursday nites were awful) so we had those big plastic print movers with one shitty plastic wheel that we had to throw these things around on. single projectionist keeping 16 projectors running per shift. i could thread so fucking fast

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you North Korean hackers for thwarting the American Terrorist known as "James Franco."

personally, i'd be thanking them for entertaining better than franco and rogen ever could :cisfor:

lel. i've heard horror stories of stuff like that (like a guy staying up for like 8 hours cutting and rebuilding a print he basically ruined). we didn't have a film imax (and only in the last couple of years have gotten a digital limax). we only had 35mm 3 platter strong setups. films usually came in 2-3 cans of 2000 ft reels and were built up to 6k reels then the big reels like yours appeared to be, usually 60-70 lbs. worked at a high profile 16 screen that had films move houses all the time (thursday nites were awful) so we had those big plastic print movers with one shitty plastic wheel that we had to throw these things around on. single projectionist keeping 16 projectors running per shift. i could thread so fucking fast

I was a consultant for the local multiplex also, bc they were all young clueless min wage kids, but yeah seeing a multiplex projection room stretch from one end of the building to the other is a sight to behold. Just walk thru them and stop at whatever film looks interesting. Of course we smoked pot up there bc they had disabled the smoke detectors LOL. Did you ever have to use a dehumidifier to take the moisture out? That shit will ruin them quickly! I emptied 2 full buckets of water per day to keep the room at correct temperature/humidity.

Shit, you had to do reel changes didn't you? Luckily my film fit on one reel, although I would splice three together to minimize how many times I had to rethread it (the inside of a film projector is a maze)

I was a consultant for the local multiplex also, bc they were all young clueless min wage kids, but yeah seeing a multiplex projection room stretch from one end of the building to the other is a sight to behold. Just walk thru them and stop at whatever film looks interesting. Of course we smoked pot up there bc they had disabled the smoke detectors LOL. Did you ever have to use a dehumidifier to take the moisture out? That shit will ruin them quickly! I emptied 2 full buckets of water per day to keep the room at correct temperature/humidity.

Shit, you had to do reel changes didn't you? Luckily my film fit on one reel, although I would splice three together to minimize how many times I had to rethread it (the inside of a film projector is a maze)

never had problems with humidity. it was a flagship development in 2005 so everything was top of the line. however the booth was broken up into 3 separate rooms. the four largest theatres had upstairs exits that opened up onto the balcony between the three booths so moving prints could be a chore sometimes. and no, we didn't have to do real changes. 3 platters supported two movies for split houses. we did have to do lots of interlocking for weekend premiers and stuff. our interlocks could get pretty hardcore if we were short on prints

great_dictator_large.jpg

Chaplin

who did what Seth Rogan and James Franco tried to do with about 100x more brilliance and intelligence. I call total bullshit on Rogen when he claims 'we weren't trying to make a controversial movie' , i get that he seems intent on downplaying this whole situation but just own it dude, you knew what you were making.

Also worth noting that David Sanger the reporter who broke the 'unofficial' white house determination of North Korea's involvement is the same reporter who broke that Stuxnet was a creation of US and Israel. In both instances the white house never acknowledged the report (in the case of NKorea, they havent yet at least). I just thought that was kinda noteworthy, especially after how people felt about what Stuxnet meant for the future 'cyber terror'.

Part of me thinks that Obama is just too much of a pussy to want to stand officially behind these things and wants them to come out in a leaky style or they are intentional disinfo or misleading leaks that he is not happy with.

never had problems with humidity. it was a flagship development in 2005 so everything was top of the line. however the booth was broken up into 3 separate rooms. the four largest theatres had upstairs exits that opened up onto the balcony between the three booths so moving prints could be a chore sometimes. and no, we didn't have to do real changes. 3 platters supported two movies for split houses. we did have to do lots of interlocking for weekend premiers and stuff. our interlocks could get pretty hardcore if we were short on prints
Interesting, I got out of the industry in 2005 so it was just before mass digital conversion. I did find out my job as a technician was replaced by a guy who pushed "play" on a DVD player, that's progress!

anyone else find it strange that a white house leak is spreading the N Korea story? I'm curious about the reasons why they wouldn't just announce it officially, does it somehow benefit the US presidency to let the media have a field day with this on their own? I mean i could somewhat understand if Obama doesn't want to be the face of the announcement, but why not get the FBI or someone else to do an official press conference? I'm not going to fully trust this leak until we get more information, there are just too many questions still. It is interesting how even though this wasn't officially announced, it was anonymously leaked almost everybody in this thread and on twitter is acting as if it was an official announcement

There are a lot of reporters working on it, and it's a sensitive issue. Stay tuned for details of possible Japanese involvement (still lots of North Koreans in Japan).

anyone else find it strange that a white house leak is spreading the N Korea story? I'm curious about the reasons why they wouldn't just announce it officially, does it somehow benefit the US presidency to let the media have a field day with this on their own? I mean i could somewhat understand if Obama doesn't want to be the face of the announcement, but why not get the FBI or someone else to do an official press conference? I'm not going to fully trust this leak until we get more information, there are just too many questions still. It is interesting how even though this wasn't officially announced, it was anonymously leaked almost everybody in this thread and on twitter is acting as if it was an official announcement

hmm. us gov mulling over potential counterattack. still won't finger nk: http://fortune.com/2014/12/18/white-house-sony-hack/

alamo drafthouse has now pulled the replacement screening of team america. got our tail between our legs apparently.

oh, didn't realize plaza was gonna play it here too. anyways paramount pulled it everywhere: http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/18/showbiz/movies/feat-texas-theater-the-interview-team-america/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

youve gotta be kidding me.. this and also the steve carrell movie in the works pyongyang cancelled as well. is this a series of hollywood pranks or have we seriously just 1984'ed ourselves?!?!?

i really can't comprehend all of this. :blink:

Gawker is offering to screen the movie in NYC and pay for it themselves:

http://gawker.com/dear-sony-well-screen-em-the-interview-em-for-you-1672663738

it's funny how everyone still thinks it's north korea when there has been no "official" statement, just a few intentional leaks "supporting their suspicions". wouldn't it be more convenient for everyone to think this was the work of a well-funded foreign enemy than an inside job?

Fox "News" is reporting an inside source thinks Iran, China or Russia helped with the hack, but I'll be damned if I post a link to that fuckhead network.

Iran, China, or Russia. That really narrows things down.

so is it unreasonable to suggest a little caution/trepidation for jumping onto the notion that N. Korea as a nation state was definitely behind this? I've been following the story pretty closely, and while the the evidence is all leaning in that direction, would it hurt to to wait a little longer?

Archived