IGNORED

Why is life no longer exciting?

andyb

I no longer find joy in living, I feel like i have exhausted all avenues; study, relationships / friendships, travel, therapy / medication.

I'm 26 this year. Who else feels like they're in a similar position?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why do you feel that you've exhausted all avenues?

I can try something different and it helps for a time, but then I revert to being miserable again.

pick up motorcycling and go on long roadtrips. helped me.

also meds, as required and within reason.

Thanks. Back on the meds as of today.

I.e. isn't there something you *really* want to do (to yourself or others), where you maybe want to become good at?

e.g. making good food?

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/75193-depression/

Big surprise, life isn't all about you or your excitement, you're a small fleeting organism in a big noisy nothing. It's a big challenge to not give into entropy and ennui - each one of us has to decide for themselves whether it's worthwhile or not.

I like Julius Evola's question, "What does happiness mean to us?". Try to live for something other than your own personal excitement. Challenge your own conceptions, make your own rules, create instead of consume, dare to love instead of fear. It is quite probable that you'll find happiness and excitement that way, but you can't go around running after them. We all build walls over the course of our lives, but we also have the power to break them down.

I think travel might broaden my perspective

hugely. exploring the real world outside of your comfort zone will help you develop as a human being.

seriously, get a Scrambler and take some long winding dirt roads with some friends. it's like reliving being a kid.

1112354911_gpmum-x2.jpg

Quarter-life crisis is a pretty standard thing I reckon. 26 is the age you're most likely to have achieved something great at, a few years beyond peak intelligence and enough to start noticing it. Then 27 is a likely age for an achiever to commit suicide faced with a daunting downward fall. Ride it out and get to 30; your brain chemistry changes so that you only retain fond memories. The key is to be as detached from reality as possible so that life goes from being a bad dream to being a good dream.

Or breed.

If you're bored then fresh air, mild exercise and pleasant scenery won't fix it. Might be possible to tolerate that activity once the other issues have been dealt with.

Hiking with a friend you have good conversations with would be a good one.

I know how you feel. I have never felt like life was exciting, but I used to have hope that the things that I enjoyed and cared about would all culminate into something that made living worthwhile. When I was younger, I was infinitely happier, although I didn't think so at the time. After high school, I had hope that things would get better as I began to create my own life - the one away from my family and the life that I'd known up to that point. Somewhere along the way, I feel like I failed and now live a lonely life filled with monotony, sadness, regret, and obsession. A few weeks back, I wrapped my belt around my neck to see how secure it would be........ because I felt like I'd seen all that I was meant to see.

But I am really trying to get out of that as we speak. As things change and the days pass, I feel it necessary to not give up and start believing that this isn't all that there is. We have to find that joy in living somehow. I don't know how, but I want to give it a try because I think we all deserve it.

If you're able to post on the internet on a computer and listen to music then your life is more amazing than most. Quit whining and go outside you child.

not cool, bro. I mean I get your meaning and I kinda agree even but don't be puttin' a mayne down for talking about how he feel.

Archived