IGNORED

Why is life no longer exciting?

andyb

Also when you get a new job you will probably start to appreciate your free time a lot more, and you will be way more productive/happy in that free time. Now I should practice what I preach.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what I meant with my earlier posts is that people should do something (good) with what its given to them... really, we can't control surrounding circumstances, but we can control how we deal with them.

i tell ya cuz I'm having a really hard time too (though I don't usually tell people), and that's how I do it: just keep it up and live life as much as you can.

why do you feel that you've exhausted all avenues?

I can try something different and it helps for a time, but then I revert to being miserable again.

Sorry for being inconciderate, but to me this sounds like you need a bitchslap.

First of all, you don't "try", but you "do". Second, if you do something different you say it helps for a time. Sounds like succes to me! So my guess is that after a while of doing something different, you either stop doing and start trying something different, which doesn't work, or you expect succes without the effort like in the beginning of doing something different. If you werent such a wussbag, you might have noticed that this initial state of doing something different should be your default state.

wow, very harsh and inappropriate words. wussbag? really? it sounds like he's depressed and depression is not something you can shake off with a harsh reality check. depression doesn't function according to rational thoughts, it's just there. you can't reason your way out of it. i think you should apologize to OP.

Well, I actually started my post with an apology. And I didn't even tell him to reason his way out of his depression. Did you actually read my post!? You should apologise to me for not reading my post!

Eat an entire container of Vegemite with a spoon and do tons of coke and stuff and vomit into a void of immorality, debauchery, and hedonism until you become a born again Christian. Then masturbate in public wearing a Santa costume. It beats cutting yourself.

"Sorry for being inconsiderate" is like saying "I'm not racist, BUT..."

Euh....To be fair though, I should have said "i'm not being inconsiderate, BUT..." Or something similar, To make your comparison work. Which I didn't.

I was actually apologising (and warning) for actually being inconsiderate. No passive aggressive mumbo jumbo. A straightforward apology. Of course, you can read into it what you want to, but the post itself is as straightforward as they come. Kinda like saying "sorry for making this racist comment, BUT ..."

more accusations? More lost in translations?

"Sorry for being inconsiderate" is like saying "I'm not racist, BUT..."

Euh....To be fair though, I should have said "i'm not being inconsiderate, BUT..." Or something similar, To make your comparison work. Which I didn't.

I was actually apologising (and warning) for actually being inconsiderate. No passive aggressive mumbo jumbo. A straightforward apology. Of course, you can read into it what you want to, but the post itself is as straightforward as they come. Kinda like saying "sorry for making this racist comment, BUT ..."

more accusations? More lost in translations?

The comparison is pointing out that both statements are completely insincere. It's almost as if you're saying "I'm going to go ahead and offer two contradicting attitudes, so don't bother taking this part seriously #sorrynotsorry"

You're 26 - have you traveled to every place on the planet? Learned every language there is to learn? Can you play every musical instrument in its analogue form (samplers don't count!!! - although being able to play bagpipes on a sampler and have it sound like a real one is no mean feat)? Can you cook well - and I don't mean "oh I make a mean ramyeon" I mean cook dammit. Have you eaten fried crickets while walking down a scorching hot SE Asian country road?

Depression is no joke, I know - and getting out of the rut your in will take work - took me two years to get out of mine, and I still fall into bad habits from time to time, but the change will come from within you. And there is so much out there to experience. So yeah you need a bitchslap - an internal soul-chekin bitchslap.

IN the meantime, listen to this:

Well, I was being completely sincere when I said I was going to be inconsiderate (the reason being i felt he could need a bitchslap).

I understand that I'm currently the shining example of someone who thinks you can reason your way out of a depression. (Even though i do have my own experiences with being in the dark pit of nothingness)

The reason I think a bitchslap in this particular case (lets not generalise!) could work, is because ndb mentioned trying different things helping temporarily. To me that says minor depression. If people are at the point theyre not even trying anymore.... That's another level of depression, if i'm allowed to make distinctions like that... Than a metaphorical bitchslap is a nono. So, in this case, i felt a bitchslap was needed. Which I basically and sincerely said in that first sentence.

I can't help that others read that as insincere, but from my pov i was as sincere as i can be. The wonders of posting in the internet.

Thank you for your considerations.

No one is being inconsiderate or rude, every response is a fair contibution.

I can become very shortsighted at times which is when the negative thoughts begin to compund.

I'm glad I started the thread though as it has allowed me to keep track on how I feel, I will start a diary in the mean time.

Thanks for all of your kind words.

Well, I was being completely sincere when I said I was going to be inconsiderate (the reason being i felt he could need a bitchslap).

I understand that I'm currently the shining example of someone who thinks you can reason your way out of a depression. (Even though i do have my own experiences with being in the dark pit of nothingness)

The reason I think a bitchslap in this particular case (lets not generalise!) could work, is because ndb mentioned trying different things helping temporarily. To me that says minor depression. If people are at the point theyre not even trying anymore.... That's another level of depression, if i'm allowed to make distinctions like that... Than a metaphorical bitchslap is a nono. So, in this case, i felt a bitchslap was needed. Which I basically and sincerely said in that first sentence.

I can't help that others read that as insincere, but from my pov i was as sincere as i can be. The wonders of posting in the internet.

Thank you for your considerations.

Yeah goDel I got what you were on about ;)

Stay inside and play more video games. Lock the door, cover the windows, cook some nice fat food. Become a space captain and save the universe. Learn an ancient language and defeat the evil dragons. Build a fort and hold off the zombie horde. Really, playing video games is extremely underrated as a cure for depression. It's a type of medicine that actually works.

Learn to brew beer really well and make some dank IPA's. You will be giving pussy away for free. Better yet, concentrate all of your efforts into becoming the perfect killing machine. A ruthless ball of aggression and agility with no off button who knows martial arts and eats adequate daily fiber.

i think taking up a hobby or learning a new skill is a fantastic idea. it will occupy your mind and distract you from the meaningless pit of human existence.

plus if you can manage it get a part-time job in a bar or something. having the social interaction and a little bit of cash will help more than you think.

The problem with happiness is that you don't notice you're happy while you are. You just realize you were once it becomes a memory. I've been struggling to live that happiness in real time, I mean, realizing in that moment, that I am happy, not through self-awareness but through the feeling. Sometimes I succeed.

I've been more miserable. As I grow it seems I am becoming more "solid" emotionally and that helps. In the last months I have been questioning some really deep and structural things inside me, in order to know myself beeter, and now that I have faced them, they're slowly becoming a problem of the past, I feel more peaceful about alot of things. You must face what is eating you inside, face your doubts and fears. Also, get rid of fake friends and destructive relationships. Don't settle for less.

Archived