IGNORED

Why is life no longer exciting?

andyb

Yep I concur with others here, sitting on your arse leads to prolonged misery. For me this remains true even if said arse-sitting is productive (e.g. sitting at computer making amazing IDM traxxx). You need to keep yourself busy - and physically busy at that. There's tonnes of hobbies or activities you can pick up for free

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read these threads out of curiosity. Especially ones made by newcomers (usually at the 100 -150 post mark). They seem to crop up quite a bit. Ahhhh I dunno. I have my suspicions. Some of you seem to stick like magnets to these types of subjects. I'm just sometimes skeptical on the sincerity of the creators of these threads.

We have threads already for people to exercise their demons, which is fine. Another one all for you is just bullshit imo.

(That's right NBD, its a diplomatic way of me telling you to fuck off)

I've read this thread three times and written as many replies, deleted all of them. I know this problem all too well. From depression, from drug abuse, from emotional struggles in general, or just your run of the mill existential crisis...

But all I mainly want to say is: NBD, I hope you are able to enjoy life again soon. As someone who has battled, and is currently battling with a depressive disorder, I know how hard it can be to see the good in things at times, even when you really want to. I wholeheartedly second the suggestions of exercise, and attempting to be productive whenever you feel able. It's a gruesome cycle sometimes: the anticipation of productivity can almost be crippling through anxiety, but without productive acts in your life, you will likely also fall into depressive states, making the next round even more challenging. Don't be afraid to ask your family, friends, or especially your physician for advice. Godspeed brother, there are others out there who feel the same way. I suggest we keep on fighting.

For what it's worth, and I'm not sure if you have any sort of spiritual bent in your worldview that would interest you in this sort of thing, but when I get into these modes, practicing bhakti yoga is one of the most sure-fire ways I can keep myself grounded. I've spoilered this so nobody opposed to the idea has to read about it...

Silly as it sounds, in practicing my simple form of bhakti yoga, I attempt to see the people I meet, as well as myself, as interacting with or representing a divine godhead. Really sounds stupid here, but it lends profundity to every action, and is good practice for treating all people as you would like to be treated, which in itself can be a powerful remedy for depressive or lost minds. It is a way of practicing compassion, even if we don't literally believe I am speaking to Krishna or whomever it may be that we have at our mental side. It's sort of like "walking with Christ" if you were raised Christian or are familiar with the term, but I find it much more helpful (maybe because I am able to detach it from the particular phony religious knobbery I grew up around). If you haven't read it, the Bhagavad Gita is a wonderful (and short) companion to what I've recommended here. DISCLAIMER: Not for everyone, of course. Please, no anti-religion arguments, I only mention this technique because it has greatly helped me in the past, and may be of use to others in a similar position, not because I want to proselytize. I understand if this is something you cannot get into.

Take care of yourself, man. I hope you (and all in this thread who are battling with inner demons) are able to find peace with yourself and your life soon.

I recommend reading this book by Camus :

the_myth_of_sisyphus_book_cover.jpg

This one and some others by the same genius taught me a great on how to deal with helplessness. He solved it, to put it simply. He seriously helped me a lot.

Does the realization of the absurdity of life require suicide? Nope, revolt. Struggle for life. Do everything to fill the void inside you. It can be anything, like finding a hobby or take walks like people have suggested in this thread.

When I first moved to San Francisco, I had a hard time finding a job, so I wrote music and rode my bike a lot. I at least tried to take a walk every day if I couldn't ride. If I didn't, I would be noticeably irritable and bitter. I think there's something about tiring your body out to the point where you're too tired to worry or remain anxious.

get a Jack Russell

they're cheaper than breeding an actual child,

require 2 walks a day,

will encourage you to get out in the sticks for serious creature scents = double the fun = knackered dogs @ home = peace,

require consistency of firmness (this is no lapdog),

they love a bit of rough and tumble ie: scrapping with you over a rubber bone shaped thingy,

they're uber loyal,

and if you can knacker them out respect,

so a bit like a dirt bike, but hairier & with less gears.....

admittedly this isnt addressing any serious questions about the deeper elements of life and takes as a given you can commit to homing a wee beast, but i have 2 now, am learning to walk again w/them and they're consistently more reliable characters than 50% of the human race.

Guest fiznuthian

I read these threads out of curiosity. Especially ones made by newcomers (usually at the 100 -150 post mark). They seem to crop up quite a bit. Ahhhh I dunno. I have my suspicions. Some of you seem to stick like magnets to these types of subjects. I'm just sometimes skeptical on the sincerity of the creators of these threads.

We have threads already for people to exercise their demons, which is fine. Another one all for you is just bullshit imo.

(That's right NBD, its a diplomatic way of me telling you to fuck off)

huh? :unsure:

You mention your age. Do you feel that is part of the problem, being that old--or that young, depending on your perspective--and feeling that way?

I'm older than you and I'm happy. Exciting doesn't really apply to me--exciting is getting a good idea for the next part of a story I'm writing or finding a new album for cheaper somewhere else--but I can say I'm content. I do remember an age where I thought 'shit, I can't imagine being that old', but now that I'm there, it's not that big a deal. I'm 30 and don't feel much different than how I was when I was 18. Except a bit less stupid. And not as fat.

Have you tried taking acid and going to Disneyland? Failing that any big theme park. Not only will you have a truly mindblowing day, the flashbacks will keep you entertained for years to come.

or you could try the softer option and watch the equivalent:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2187884/

Have you tried taking acid and going to Disneyland? Failing that any big theme park. Not only will you have a truly mindblowing day, the flashbacks will keep you entertained for years to come.

Ok, but still on acid right?

Ok, but still on acid right?

hung up my trippin slippers a long time ago, so would advocate looking b4 you leap,,,,,

ie: perhaps

i remember when i was 8 i told my mum i would probably die by killing myself, i was suprised that this upset her so much. i still feel the same way tho, usually a few time a year i have serious suicidal thoughts, i dont think life has ever really excited me or felt like it had anything good 2 offer

i was on meds from about he same age, up until last year and honestly thy never made any differenc whtsoever. I notice nothing when i stopped taking them

basicly i dont have any advice bcos inside im am a miserable angry insecure narcisist myself

I don't get why we have to encourage people who are miserable & just taking up space/resources to stay alive simply because it's a social taboo to suggest otherwise.** The world is about 6 billion people over capacity so surely some people who are bored with surfing the internet all day and think that they've "seen it all" won't be missed.

**Besides the obvious reason, which is to sell more Zoloft.

nightcrawler - pretty damn good, gyllenhaal was simply amazing, his character was literally out of this world. something of a mix of anton chigurh and tim and eric from billion dollar movies and their "dobis p.r.", both deeply disturbing and somewhat hilarious at the same time. i sort of understand what their were trying to do with the soundtrack but it was still like biting on the lemon most of the time, especially the ending with that guitar solo..oh boy. there's really something fascinating about night time l.a. it's like a microcosmos of prime american sleazbaggery and immorality mixed with capitalism, it's like this area simply radiates it. which makes it such a great settings, especially when shot so well.

I don't get why we have to encourage people who are miserable & just taking up space/resources to stay alive simply because it's a social taboo to suggest otherwise.** The world is about 6 billion people over capacity so surely some people who are bored with surfing the internet all day and think that they've "seen it all" won't be missed.

**Besides the obvious reason, which is to sell more Zoloft.

haha, that's a hilarious joke...good thing you weren't being serious, because that would sorta make you a monster.

nightcrawler - pretty damn good, gyllenhaal was simply amazing, his character was literally out of this world. something of a mix of anton chigurh and tim and eric from billion dollar movies and their "dobis p.r.", both deeply disturbing and somewhat hilarious at the same time. i sort of understand what their were trying to do with the soundtrack but it was still like biting on the lemon most of the time, especially the ending with that guitar solo..oh boy. there's really something fascinating about night time l.a. it's like a microcosmos of prime american sleazbaggery and immorality mixed with capitalism, it's like this area simply radiates it. which makes it such a great settings, especially when shot so well.

lol!

agree with the review btw

Archived