IGNORED

the five dollar fantano review

beerwolf

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

So it struck me today that Fantano gave Syro a 6, Tomorrows Harvest a 6 and Damogen Furies a 6. Thats one tiny notch above the middle ground.

I had to double check these but I was correct.

Is this Wanker still asking for donations for his opinions?

So it struck me today that Fantano gave Syro a 6, Tomorrows Harvest a 6 and Damogen Furies a 6. Thats one tiny notch above the middle ground.

I had to double check these but I was correct.

Is this Wanker still asking for donations for his opinions?

he gave Ben Frost's Aurora a 5 as well. the dude just doesn't seem to "get" electronic music, really.

I never much cared for the guy. So what are some high scoring albums?

Don't waste your time replying, I don't really care enough. His reviews are all biased and his bias isn't very in sync with mine.

a youtube channel digging into the depths of underground unsigned music found on forums and soundcloud and bandcamp, providing insights and exposing talent would be interesting.

rehashing the same albums that appear on every other music site (*cough* pitchfork) and providing just your own opinion on the albums... i legitimately don't get the point. especially in the day and age of youtube/spotify where to get the gist of an album all it takes is a quick search and you can hear samples or .. yknow,,... the full thing streaming somewhere, what good is one persons opinion? unless you are super duper in line with the guys opinions and find yourself agreeing with his reviews all the time and find him to be a reliable means of getting music recommendations on good new albums, i 100% don't get the point of a music reviewer just reviewing the same old albums everyone else already knows about and giving them an opinion.

Actually that would be dope

there is a tumblr that is dedicated to band findings on bandcamp

but a video blog like you described would be amazing

he just started following RecordLabelRecords on soundcloud i noticed, so maybe he's actually interested in doing that to a certain extent (not unsigned per se but definitely not in the pitchfork/boomkat club)

yeah, his electronic music reviews suck.

He gave Exai 8/10

my point stands. the final rating he gives is not the issue, it's that, while he talks clearly about the ideas in the music, he often misses the mark or just doesn't get some things. think of a cheese aficionado talking about wine.

i don't get why people invest so much into his reviews. i no longer watch his channel now mainly because he doesn't seem to review anything i'm interested in, but when i did i found him pretty entertaining. i know he started doing intimate evening with anthony fantano (WARNING: extremely cringeworthy link attached) events where people are paying to go hear him rant, so it's actually not such a stretch to get the same suckers to pay for reviews.

S8yfMES.png

I've only seen his Syro and Exai reviews. Oh yeah, and the Caustic Window one, but I barely remember that.

What I found weird about the Syro review is how he greatly praised most of the tracks for the most part, called Xmas eve a "Monster" even. Based off of what he was saying most of the time you'd guess an 8 or 9. But it got a 6. Oh yeah, I remember Deadmau5's last album getting a 7 or and 8 or something.

Half the Exai review he talked about how special you had to be to 'get' the music. So I dunno.

Just so you know I started downloading tons of stuff from Bandcamp WATMMers and various other home grown non pitchfork elite places with the intention of doing some reviews of them on my Yo Look What I Found channel and then two things happened

One I remembered I am a wage slave to my shithead corporate job

Two my future wife and family requires a lot of attention

and

Three I can't get enough time to edit and upload the videos

also there is a bit of apprehension in there because reviewing things is kind of useless

but I do want to big up the people on here whose albums I have been enjoying as well as

shed light on my bandcamp findings

Anyhow

soon I will get around to throwing up a few videos

PS these pics of Fantano are killing me

• 3 years later...

Archived