IGNORED

Joyrex tape/Soundcloud

Tatdylf

Just checking out the Joyrex tape rip posted on youtube and thought I would see how much was included on the dump. Here is my list:

1 fresher + cleaner

2 how to science 2 ab6

3 step up to cornwall

4 clapstab ab6

5 world waver ab6

8 phlangebeat

9 phuqed up

14 droneBReak

apparently lots of overlap with ab6 too

Just checking out the Joyrex tape rip posted on youtube and thought I would see how much was included on the dump. Here is my list:

1 fresher + cleaner

2 how to science 2 ab6

3 step up to cornwall

4 clapstab ab6

5 world waver ab6

7 ventolin (praze an beeble mix [demo])

8 phlangebeat

9 phuqed up

14 droneBReak

apparently lots of overlap with ab6 too

the fact that four tracks in a row line up perfectly with tracks from the new Sc material was one of the first things that convinced me it was genuine AFX (not that any more proof is needed, now we have such an enormous collection of orgasmic tape tracks...)

the original story of the Joyrex Tape/Unreleased MD was told by Joyrex in 2007 here:

I guess now is a good time as any to reveal the story behind these tracks since enough time has passed since their coming into existence outside the Llanerlog Studios and ultimately, into my hands.

These tracks were hastily taped off of a DAT Richard had lying around in his house during a party (this was when Richard lived with several people, before the bank days), and Richard unfortunately had a bit too much and was asleep/unconscious, and one of the party goers decided to tape off one of his DATs to ironically, impress a girl!

Having pulled off such a feat, the reaction from the girl in question was unfortunately "not impressed" and the cassette sat in a drawer for several years, no one really knowing what it was until a mate of a mate happened across it, played it, and realized what it was (the Ventolin track probably helped). Fast forward to about 3 or 4 years ago, and a kind soul decided to bestow this upon me in the form of a MD - and I've sat on it all this time, only making mention of it in the past couple of years.

so the tracks were basically taped off, one by one, from a big pile of DAT tapes in richard's house (probably much like the ones being uploaded to Soundcloud now). i think it's very likely that a lot of the tapes wern't fully wound to the start/beginning, since richard would have been going across them quite often (i.e. to get to specific tracks) plus the fact that they obviously wern't set up ready waiting to be transfered (since RDJ was having a party with his friends at the time).

so, my theory is this: the person who took the Unreleased Tracks was picking up several different DAT tapes as he went along, recording whatever tracks were left within the runtine of each tape. so this means:

16 Fresher + Cleaner (track 01) was probably the last track on whatever tape it was from
the "ab6" tape had been recently used, and was set forward to the beginning of 5 how to science 2 ab6 (track 02)
the next four tracks are recorded, then after 8 world waver ab6 (track 05) the tape ends and he moves onto more tapes (tracks 06 and 07)
(notice the noise at the very beginning of 8 world waver ab6 - by the time the Unreleased Tape tracks made it to the internet, it had been cut to the end of the previous track)
tracks 08 and 09 are recorded (in the Sc material, these tracks are labelled as 11 phlangebeat and 12 phuqed up)
track 10, and possibly others after it may have been on the same tape
track 14 appears in the Sc material as droneBReak

i think this works out nicely. i admit i've never actually used DAT recording tapes, but i assume they work reel-to-reel, more or less the same as cassettes right? feel free to fill gaps and add info as you see fit.

Nice analysis, but from my understanding, it was copied in one go from one DAT - besides, who'd have time to pop DATs in and out, etc.? Also, the poor quality makes me think it was in one go and copied from a speaker rather than DAT --> Cassette via Richard's equipment.

Think pocket recorder.

Track 3 on Joyrex tape (Step up to cornwall on sc) wasn't that slower on the Joyrex rip than the SC dump?

all the tracks on the joyrex tape rip we've all heard are a little bit slower than they're meant to be

ah, well that clears that up. i guess i assumed a lot from someone who turned up at a rave party with a pocket mic :rolleyes:

Mind you, that's MY assumption - as I was told, it was "hastily taped off" which could mean anything. Something has to explain the poor initial quality, unless the tape was damaged over the years.

I really prefer fresher + cleaner pitched down as it was on the joyrex tape. just sounds sped up to me.

Here's another vote hoping that joyrex track 11 pops up on the ol' Dump.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

10, 11, and 12 are the only ones that didn't end up in the dump, correct?

AFAIK that's correct. Track #11 was apparently a collab with Cylob so Rich would have needed a permission to add that one to SC. Wasn't going to happen as they were eating a beef or something.

:dadjoke:

:trashbear:

This is exactly the kind of thing that MusicBrainz is good for.  Click on any track in the release to see which other releases it also appeared on, and its track number in them.

Archived