IGNORED

Windows 10 (out now)

Rubin Farr

CMD-spacebar. So handy.

get Launchbar - never look back.

https://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/index.html

it's like Spotlight but much, much, much more useful & powerful, and faster.

by now, there must be something like that for Windows as well..? last time I checked there was nothing even remotely close..

Is launchbar a significant upgrade on Quiksilver?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CMD-spacebar. So handy.

by now, there must be something like that for Windows as well..? last time I checked there was nothing even remotely close..

Ah, Launchbar - made by the folks who make Little Snitch, another favourite macOS program I use...

CMD-spacebar. So handy.

Find And Run Robot

Find and Run Robot looks like the Finder, but it hasn't been updated in over a year... plus, does it actually index the HDD? Kinda wary about a 3rd party doing that...

CMD-spacebar. So handy.

Ah, Launchbar - made by the folks who make Little Snitch, another favourite macOS program I use...

CMD-spacebar. So handy.

Find And Run Robot

Find and Run Robot looks like the Finder, but it hasn't been updated in over a year... plus, does it actually index the HDD? Kinda wary about a 3rd party doing that...

I'm not trying to be contrarian for contrarian sake, but any application you have installed on your PC could be indexing your hard disk, and you wouldn't know.

That goes for Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, whatever you run.

Not exactly the same, but some gaming client was mining bitcoins on users computers surreptitiously.

At least with Find And Run Robot it's actually doing what you're intending it to do - index your hard drive so that you can search for items.

I'm not trying to be contrarian for contrarian sake, but any application you have installed on your PC could be indexing your hard disk, and you wouldn't know.

on macOS there's a sandboxing mechanism - it's only really for stuff from the App Store though. but it restricts disk reads/writes, network access etc to as much as the app needs to function minimally. this of course isn't appropriate for apps such as Launchbar, which of course needs more liberal permissions to function properly. So yea installing such deeply integrated apps... I would do it only from a trustworthy source... not saying that it's malware, but the find-robot page there sure looks kinda dodgy tbqh....

not tryin'a bash windows btw...

recently there was an incident where the website of popular macOS bittorrent client Transmission was hijacked, and the attacker infected the app download with malware. 

or a while ago, there was a modified version of Apple's own Xcode app development suite which was injecting spyware into apps that were made with it.

crazy!

I'm trying to get by with as few installed 3rd party programs as possible...

on macOS there's a sandboxing mechanism - it's only really for stuff from the App Store though. but it restricts disk reads/writes, network access etc to as much as the app needs to function minimally. this of course isn't appropriate for apps such as Launchbar, which of course needs more liberal permissions to function properly. So yea installing such deeply integrated apps... I would do it only from a trustworthy source... not saying that it's malware, but the find-robot page there sure looks kinda dodgy tbqh....

Yeah I know about the sandboxing feature, and as you've rightly pointed out - it only applies to programs obtained through the App Store.

As for the page looking dodgy, it looks about as dodgy as any other independent developer's website that has software for PCs (Nirsoft's page comes to mind, and if you think Nirsoft's programs are dodgy, you've clearly no experience with PC troubleshooting and utilities software).

That being said, everyone definitely should be cautious about stuff they install. Look at the Transmission bittorrent client thing.....their site got hacked again and a trojan was put on the download.

Yeah I know about the sandboxing feature, and as you've rightly pointed out - it only applies to programs obtained through the App Store.

As for the page looking dodgy, it looks about as dodgy as any other independent developer's website that has software for PCs (Nirsoft's page comes to mind, and if you think Nirsoft's programs are dodgy, you've clearly no experience with PC troubleshooting and utilities software).

That being said, everyone definitely should be cautious about stuff they install. Look at the Transmission bittorrent client thing.....their site got hacked again and a trojan was put on the download.

That's why on macOS I use Launchbar's other app they make, Little Snitch - I see ALL inbound/outbound attempts, and can selectively or temporarily block them. Well worth the 30 bucks I paid for the app.

I used Transmission ages ago, but it was too primitive back then - now I use µTorrent, and I am pretty happy with it (yes, I know it got hit with malware a few years ago as well).

Moved from uTorrent to qBittorent a year or so back due to some shenanigans that went on (can't for the life of me remember what they were now - was it Bit mining?!). Has everything uTorrent had but at the footprint that uTorrent used to have before it decided to add stuff to it.

Moved from uTorrent to qBittorent a year or so back due to some shenanigans that went on (can't for the life of me remember what they were now - was it Bit mining?!). Has everything uTorrent had but at the footprint that uTorrent used to have before it decided to add stuff to it.

does qbittorrent support webui.zip for remote access via web browser?

Windows Store apps have the same sandboxing.

Windows Store apps have the same sandboxing.

Haha. Windows Store.

Haha. Windows Store.

Indeed. Aside from the bundled Microsoft ones, most of these apps are terrible. They're a lot better than the original Windows RT apps from Windows 8, but still pretty crappy. I don't spend a whole lot of time looking for new ones though, so maybe there are some decent ones in there somewhere.

Haha. Windows Store.

Indeed. Aside from the bundled Microsoft ones, most of these apps are terrible. They're a lot better than the original Windows RT apps from Windows 8, but still pretty crappy. I don't spend a whole lot of time looking for new ones though, so maybe there are some decent ones in there somewhere.

The only Modern Apps I use are the Weather app, and OneNote on my Surface.

Deluge is a good Mu alt. without all the bloatware.

Haha. Windows Store.

The only Modern Apps I use are the Weather app, and OneNote on my Surface.

The Office apps are decent enough, though I usually just use the full OneNote on my surface.

Latest Skype app is better than their previous efforts, though it crashes all the time (still in beta).

Cover comic/ebook reader is good.

Also use TeamViewer, RemoteDesktop, BTSport, VLC (not great, mostly stick to the win32 version), plus the built in music/mail/weather/news apps.

That's all on my tablet though, only really use the weather one and BTSport on my desktop.

They're fine for casual use, and much better designed for touch, think it'll take a few more years for the platform to mature though.

And I guess Edge counts as well, use that on the tablet as Chrome sucks for touch use.

probably a bug in VLC, not using the windows api correctly. lots of programs do hacky things they're not supposed to which break stuff when a new version of the OS comes out.

A little late reply but yes I think you might be right. I had the issue earlier and tried the Edge browser and noticed it worked as it should where VLC/Chrome did not. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else had the big update? Installed on my PC this morning, took a good hour or so to go on.

Doesn't seem to have done much, other than a few minor UI changes. It re-pinned Microsoft Edge and Windows Store shortcuts to the taskbar, the cheeky bastards lel

Sometimes when I'm doing 'spring cleaning' on my laptop (clearing out temp files, backing up of stuff etc.) I run the 'Check For Updates' thing. Can't remember if I did that time or if it just automatically grabbed it!

Archived