IGNORED

Gin

lala

Topic to discuss the wonders of Gin.

Why gin is amazing is that you take a vodka, and then mix it with botanicals and redistill it to make more flavour. it can be quite a complex and varied taste, with around 50 botanicals that are often used

To make the perfect G&T imo you use a just under a double, with loads of ice, quarter to half a lime squeezed in, and fever-tree tonic elderflower.

after trying about 20 of them, this was the winner:

bottles2.png

followed by: you can by chase at tescos

Chase_Elegant_Crisp_Gin_50.jpg?v=1418061

and there are weird ones like this, which was so sagey, didnt like. b8737e2c4a5707219b1fb156241576cd.jpg

and this (you can buy this in tescos too, and its cheap) which basically tastes of cardamoms. i quite liked it.

opihr-bottle.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Gin is good shit. If I had £500+ to piss away on a whimsical gin collection I probably would too. One day...

This used to be our drink of choice for cocaine-fuelled weekends, the cheapest bottle mixed with lemonade and we'd call it the Miss Havisham, ahh good times. You can't go back.

Chase is made from potatoes. Haven't had it but id be interested in it.

Gin is good, some of them won't bother to re-distill the botanicals in they'll just mix the oils in.

i dont think i've ever had a gin i didn't like at all (but i know they're gonna be out there). i think some are better in g&t and some in martinis

brokers was prob my least favorite but the bowler hat on the lid is fun and its still ok. never had hendricks but want to. for me beefeaters is like the baseline, good all around gin. i like tanq rangpur in g&t and bombay sapphire the most, lately.

most unusual gins i ever had were:

S0513-2.jpg

S0427-2.jpg

had both several years ago, before i had tried much gin so i couldn't make a good comparison, but both were def good imo. imo both seemed extra spicy, especially the junipero.

i've gone off gin, but my favourite gin is Plymouth, because they don't go hardcore on the juniper, it's a nice well rounded gin that has a flavour all of it's own. My favourite way to mix it is with elderflower cordial and carbonated mineral water. Nice clean drink.

plymouth-gin1.jpg

Definitely try chase, the tall black one, not the green. its really nice. cherry and deep.

you can also get a limited edition chase juniper vodka/single botanical gin, which says vodka on one side and gin on the other.

yeah i've bought a couple of bottles of that chase williams elegant crisp gin before. It's no plymouth though, but it is pretty clean, i bought it because they stopped stocking the plymouth the bastards. I'm in a rum phase at the moment, so it doesn't matter.

Sadly, Gin isn't a high seller in my city I don't think. Most stores just stock the generic Tanqueray or whatever.

I love Gin and have had several higher end decent ones but they're hard to come by. =(

Although I'll admit the Tanqueray #10 stuff is delish..

lol sorry for big pic.... can you not resize it on watmm or wat?tanqueray-ten.jpg

Sadly, Gin isn't a high seller in my city I don't think. Most stores just stock the generic Tanqueray or whatever.

I love Gin and have had several higher end decent ones but they're hard to come by. =(

order from the internets! what we did was read up on the drinks awards and bought the medal winners :) but yeah. try some D1

Archived