IGNORED

New Luddism

sheatheman

good other thread, josh.

i think the internet is guided thought. everyone's thoughts are being funneled in one direction, and you have to ask, where will that take users after 20 years? what about when 10 yo's have kids in 20 years? millions of lost souls i think.

if the basic nature of man is good, then singularity is good, but what if being good is a daily struggle? what if the default nature is evil? then singularity must be fought.

most of us weren't even raised on it. i wasn't serious on social media until i started putting music myspace tracks up in 2006.

I meant to reply to this one earlier, but it seems to me that the Internet is significantly less guided than previous information networks were. The 20th century, especially the first half of it, was a telling indicator of how easily people's access to information and perspectives could be manipulated completely. The Internet makes that much more difficult and contains a large variety of opinions in comparison, so I wouldn't call it "guided thought."

technology is a dj tool. use it for your own benefit and stop blaming it for your lack of willpower.

the point is no one has willpower. it's like saying "fire is a tool" in response to me telling you that your house is on fire.

re: "posting against internet on internet"

don't you know systems must be subverted from the inside? to destroy the loom you have to go into the cotton mill.

is the hive mind bad? i already explained it's about whether the default state of human kind is good or bad.

I for one welcome this new ideology of the Ludd

dNlYX5u.jpg?1

i'm not really talking about transhumanism specifically, or singularity theory, or any of that kurzweilian pulp you love

we think we are smarter from the internet. but place any one of us next to an ancient egyptian. what could you show them? you would be useless, because every specialized task necessary for your survival is outsourced to laborers who know how to do one thing only. it's all become secret knowledge.

i'm not really talking about transhumanism specifically, or singularity theory, or any of that kurzweilian pulp you love

we think we are smarter from the internet. but place any one of us next to an ancient egyptian. what could you show them? you would be useless, because every specialized task necessary for your survival is outsourced to laborers who know how to do one thing only. it's all become secret knowledge.

So what?

As someone who has studied mathematics and the history of mathematics (lots of ancient Egyptian mathematics there) in a university I could show them pretty rad math skillz. Pretty certain I could show some engineering tricks also. And how to distill alcohol.

Edited by mokz

So what?

you can't survive outside the hive

In order for the individual mind to survive the coming decades, it will be necessary to dis-integrate oneself from technology. You're either hurdling towards the hive mind, or retreating into the forests.

I am serious about this. I think we will see a growing movement of anti-digital, anti-content types. New luddism, post internet, whatever you want to call it.

Are you pro hive or pro forest?

Ok, so if anyone is going to answer this, I think you need to define what you mean by:

- individual mind

- survival of an individual mind

- hive mind

- anti digital

- anti content

the hive will have virtual forests as well, so best of both worlds.

you'll no doubt still having ppl complaining about the virtual ticks not being encoded in a high enough bit rate and that they can totally tell the difference when really they can't.

inject me with stem cells and nano bots and give my brain a memory chip.

i'm all good w/being ghost in the shell.

but am happy to unplug a few times a year and go wander or just stay unplugged and work on music or whatever.

i think TV is a bigger problem for me anyways. TV is something that, for a lot of people, just stays on all the time.. like a fireplace that provides background noise or something.

i guess internet addiction and game playing is a real thing but i think relationship to all that is very different for different generations and personality types.

it's going to be an interesting few decades ahead.

i think TV is a bigger problem for me anyways. TV is something that, for a lot of people, just stays on all the time.. like a fireplace that provides background noise or something.

I fucking hate it when people do that. I don't understand why they have to have the television on when they aren't watching, it makes no sense and it's distracting.