IGNORED

The "Life" Thread

LimpyLoo

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard good things about him

The one bit of his advice I've caught third-hand was 'do the one thing that would truly make today productive'

That seems like a really good guiding principle

Sent from my pee-pee using poo-poo

Edit: Tim Ferris, that is

Sent from my pee-pee using poo-poo

The keto diet is very hard to stick to because of how much time you have to spend preparing and cooking food. Really tough with my work schedule. And I always felt hungry even after paying close attention to my macros. But when it's working, it's like your body is free from any stress or baggage. Fantastic.

I'll be back to reading r/keto in no time, but what helpful tips or tricks are there to sticking with this diet?

dunno man. eggs, bacon, and oils are some of the fastest things you can prepare. The most effective thing for keto is easily butter coffee.

Coffee + grassfed butter (use kerry gold) + mct or coconut oil (I use now brand, but there are other good ones) + whatever else like maybe some whey protein or collagen. You can make this as tea also. You need a blender. Hand blenders are convenient for work.

I use this soup blender because it tolerates the heat of the coffee very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SBC-1000FR-Blend-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B0080JIC6M/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1449860696&sr=8-14&keywords=soup+blender

My personal recipe is Coffee + grassfed butter + mct oil + shilajit + a dash of manuka honey + and sometimes a bit of 88% cocao chocolate. Have to be careful not to use too much of the honey or chocolate or you'll fuck up your ketone production and insulin response. You could substitute stevia for the honey or chocolate if you wanted to be more secure in your ketone production.

Other than that, eggs, bacon, and avocados is a meal you can prepare in 5 minutes. Add in a little pre-made pico de gallo and you're set.

Tim Ferris uses sardines and coconut oil when he travels. You could also do this for a lunch.

The keto diet is very hard to stick to because of how much time you have to spend preparing and cooking food. Really tough with my work schedule. And I always felt hungry even after paying close attention to my macros. But when it's working, it's like your body is free from any stress or baggage. Fantastic.

I'll be back to reading r/keto in no time, but what helpful tips or tricks are there to sticking with this diet?

dunno man. eggs, bacon, and oils are some of the fastest things you can prepare. The most effective thing for keto is easily butter coffee.

Coffee + grassfed butter (use kerry gold) + mct or coconut oil (I use now brand, but there are other good ones) + whatever else like maybe some whey protein or collagen. You can make this as tea also. You need a blender. Hand blenders are convenient for work.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SBC-1000FR-Blend-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B0080JIC6M/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1449860696&sr=8-14&keywords=soup+blender

My personal recipe is Coffee + grassfed butter + mct oil + shilajit + a dash of manuka honey + and sometimes a bit of 88% cocao chocolate. Have to be careful not to use too much of the honey or chocolate or you'll fuck up your ketone production and insulin response. You could substitute stevia for the honey or chocolate if you wanted to be more secure in your ketone production.

Other than that, eggs, bacon, and avocados is a meal you can prepare in 5 minutes. Add in a little pre-made pico de gallo and you're set.

Tim Ferris uses sardines and coconut oil when he travels. You could also do this for a lunch.

Agreed.

A huge part of my diet is chicken as well. And it's easy to cook a big batch of chicken breast, freeze it, and thaw it either to eat whole or chop up for recipes etc.

Seeds and nuts are already prepped.

Raw veggies you can prepare a massive container at the start of the week and cherry pick at it.

I buy frozen berries (berries are very low glycemic) and chuck em in with some greek yoghurt (sugar free from costco).

It's really easy to eat this way once you get used to it.

Agreed.

A huge part of my diet is chicken as well. And it's easy to cook a big batch of chicken breast, freeze it, and thaw it either to eat whole or chop up for recipes etc.

Seeds and nuts are already prepped.

Raw veggies you can prepare a massive container at the start of the week and cherry pick at it.

I buy frozen berries (berries are very low glycemic) and chuck em in with some greek yoghurt (sugar free from costco).

It's really easy to eat this way once you get used to it.

Yeah, I noticed also my meals tend to last for a few days. So it may take me time to prepare something 1 day it lasts for 2 or 3 lunches/dinners.

I'm not really big on chicken generally, but sometimes I buy a whole chicken eat it, and then make bone broth using the leftovers.

Shakes are definitely a good way to go about it too. Once you've learned the appropriate veggies and fruits.

Like you I also buy frozen berries. A big reason being is that they are cheaper overall.

This is a really good guide for low glycemic index foods.

AYCC5xj.jpg

Good "life" advice: eat food you enjoy eating, don't worry too much about it, but try and maintain a decent balance including lots of fruit and veg, cook as much from scratch as possible, avoid fads. Life is there to be enjoyed, and good food is a big part of that.

Good "life" advice: eat food you enjoy eating, don't worry too much about it, but try and maintain a decent balance including lots of fruit and veg, cook as much from scratch as possible, avoid fads. Life is there to be enjoyed, and good food is a big part of that.

Agreed.

I enjoy eating the way I do though, don't get the wrong impression!

I also feel healthier eating this way. (Whole foods, meat/veg, unprocessed foods, etc) .

Many would dismiss keto or low glycemic as just a fad, but I really do feel better eating this way.

Cool, whatever works for you. A lot of people end up feeling miserable doing these things though.

A recent scientific study successfully proved that all foods have the capability of causing unique reactions in the individual consuming them. This means that no one diet will work for everyone. Essentially this means you can't just "not worry too much...and maintain a balance", because science has successfully shown this won't be successful for everyone. Sorry, but your attitude just doesn't work, and that's pretty much verified by the health status of the average modern human. You should think about it. You should think about it a lot. You should study your body. You should keep logs of your health. If you have the means you should employ technology to aid you in quantifying these things. Then you can understand yourself better and live a happier and more fulfilling life. Generally the people proposing approaches like you've stated are the super resilient individuals who've never had to put much energy into being healthy enough to function like a normal individual. If you think people are unhappy eating bacon, eggs, avocados, tons of fat and fresh foods then you're getting feedback from people who are completely failing in creating a good diet for themselves.

We could debate about the fact that sugar, sweets, and things of that nature aren't actually good foods. Like I said earlier, the Bhagavad Gita even promotes a high fat & protein based diet so it's definitely not a fad.

Some of us have higher aspirations then just living an average life for an average period of time. I'd prefer to live an extraordinarily long and fruitful life, and I'm focusing on making that a reality.

The thing is, people will always be quick to tell you what is, what can't be done, what has been done, what you're capable of, what you're body is capable of, and as time goes on they are always proven wrong. Don't listen to people who tell you these things. Just experiment and keep yourself focused on whatever goal you desire. Happiness is a product of the process of achieving your highest state of being. If there was ever a time where all of us could become super human it is now. All the tools and information are there for you to access.

i been hearing this for a while now, interesting stuff

Gut–brain axis: how the microbiome influences anxiety and depression

--

Concluding remarks Significant progress has been made over the past decade in recognizing the importance of gut microbiota to brain function. Key findings show that stress influences the composition of the gut microbiota and that bidirectional communication between microbiota and the CNS influences stress reactivity. Several studies have shown that microbiota influence behavior and that immune challenges that influence anxiety- and depressive-like behaviors are associated with alterations in microbiota. Emerging work notes that alterations in microbiota modulate plasticityrelated, serotonergic, and GABAergic signaling systems in the CNS. Going forward, there is a significant opportunity to consider how the gut–brain axis and, in particular, new tools will allow researchers to understand how dysbiosis of the microbiome influences mental illness. Neuroscientists, armed with the results to date in this area, are well positioned to tackle outstanding questions (Box 1) and develop innovative approaches to prevent and treat stress-related disorders, including anxiety and depression.

http://www.psych.ufl.edu/~dpdevine/bb/pelham.pdf

Some people swear by pro-biotics, they say 30 days treatment, i dont know, ill keep reading but if by introducing good bacteria you can treat anxiety/depression, thats pretty life changing

--

Concluding remarks Significant progress has been made over the past decade in recognizing the importance of gut microbiota to brain function. Key findings show that stress influences the composition of the gut microbiota and that bidirectional communication between microbiota and the CNS influences stress reactivity. Several studies have shown that microbiota influence behavior and that immune challenges that influence anxiety- and depressive-like behaviors are associated with alterations in microbiota. Emerging work notes that alterations in microbiota modulate plasticityrelated, serotonergic, and GABAergic signaling systems in the CNS. Going forward, there is a significant opportunity to consider how the gut–brain axis and, in particular, new tools will allow researchers to understand how dysbiosis of the microbiome influences mental illness. Neuroscientists, armed with the results to date in this area, are well positioned to tackle outstanding questions (Box 1) and develop innovative approaches to prevent and treat stress-related disorders, including anxiety and depression.

Some people swear by pro-biotics, they say 30 days treatment, i dont know, ill keep reading but if by introducing good bacteria you can treat anxiety/depression, thats pretty life changing

I can give you a full regimen of gut repair protocols if you're interested. I'm using one myself. Specifically for anxiety you can use lactobacillus rhamnosus.

Cool, whatever works for you. A lot of people end up feeling miserable doing these things though.

I agree. I think it boils down to exactly that, finding what works for the individual!

(Adieu pointed out the a similar

--

Same, I've also heard this for a long long time but I've never actually dove into the research.

My mom (lol) has been preaching the probiotic stuff since I was a teenager.

thing RE unique diet for the individual).

Adieu, where'd you get the info that the Bhagavad Gita promotes a high fat diet? Just curious, I've read it a number of times over the years and really enjoy Ayurvedic health guidelines but haven't seen that claim anywhere else; most people on a sattvic diet are lacto vegetarians from what I know, which kinda puts them at odds with modern low-carb/high-fat diets (though, as you've said, it also embraces the "no diet to rule them all" approach - everyone must tailor their food intake to themselves, and be responsible).

(on a related note, I almost suggested Bhakti yoga as a "Life Thread" topic the other day but contained myself knowing the allergic reaction most of watmm has to any flavor of religion...)

Adieu, where'd you get the info that the Bhagavad Gita promotes a high fat diet? Just curious, I've read it a number of times over the years and really enjoy Ayurvedic health guidelines but haven't seen that claim anywhere else; most people on a sattvic diet are lacto vegetarians from what I know, which kinda puts them at odds with modern low-carb/high-fat diets (though, as you've said, it also embraces the "no diet to rule them all" approach - everyone must tailor their food intake to themselves, and be responsible).

(on a related note, I almost suggested Bhakti yoga as a "Life Thread" topic the other day but contained myself knowing the allergic reaction most of watmm has to any flavor of religion...)

I listened to a reading of it one evening and at one point when it spoke of health it said something along the lines of ideal diet would contain lots of savory fatty foods. I believe it said to avoid sweet things, but I'm not 100%. Truly the accuracy of what I heard read could be bad, but it all seemed very legit. I've not read the actual text.

ayurvedic health is pretty legit. There is a lot of amazing stuff you can use. Steve maxwell is an old motherfucker and he uses a lot of ayurvedic stuff. He's ripped up and still practices jiu jitsu.

A recent scientific study successfully proved that all foods have the capability of causing unique reactions in the individual consuming them. This means that no one diet will work for everyone. Essentially this means you can't just "not worry too much...and maintain a balance", because science has successfully shown this won't be successful for everyone. Sorry, but your attitude just doesn't work, and that's pretty much verified by the health status of the average modern human. You should think about it. You should think about it a lot. You should study your body. You should keep logs of your health. If you have the means you should employ technology to aid you in quantifying these things. Then you can understand yourself better and live a happier and more fulfilling life. Generally the people proposing approaches like you've stated are the super resilient individuals who've never had to put much energy into being healthy enough to function like a normal individual. If you think people are unhappy eating bacon, eggs, avocados, tons of fat and fresh foods then you're getting feedback from people who are completely failing in creating a good diet for themselves.

We could debate about the fact that sugar, sweets, and things of that nature aren't actually good foods. Like I said earlier, the Bhagavad Gita even promotes a high fat & protein based diet so it's definitely not a fad.

Some of us have higher aspirations then just living an average life for an average period of time. I'd prefer to live an extraordinarily long and fruitful life, and I'm focusing on making that a reality.

The thing is, people will always be quick to tell you what is, what can't be done, what has been done, what you're capable of, what you're body is capable of, and as time goes on they are always proven wrong. Don't listen to people who tell you these things. Just experiment and keep yourself focused on whatever goal you desire. Happiness is a product of the process of achieving your highest state of being. If there was ever a time where all of us could become super human it is now. All the tools and information are there for you to access.

Does the average modern human (i assume you mean "American") actually eat a balanced diet though? Highly doubtful.

I must be one of those "super resilient people" lol.

Anyways, whatever works for you.

Does the average modern human (i assume you mean "American") actually eat a balanced diet though? Highly doubtful.

I must be one of those "super resilient people" lol.

Anyways, whatever works for you.

There are certain humans who have specific polymorphisms that allow them to live longer under worse conditions. It's very possible you have that polymorphism.

Also, your lifestyle can significantly decrease the negative impacts of your diet.

What do you think a balanced diet is?

Some meat, some fish, some vegetables, some fruits, some grains, some legumes, some dairy. Very little processed food (though I get lazy with salad dressings occasionally).

Try and eat good quality, locally grown foods (especially fruits and vegetables, non frozen and organic).

Drink craft beer and good wine (if you drink), and not too much of it.

Here is some info on the study I mention above.

http://caloriesproper.com/personalized-nutrition-ii/

@

Adie

please do that would be awesome

Gut Health

1. Sugar

To get ideal gut health you want to reduce sugar intake. Stick to low glycemic foods as often as possible. Negative bacteria feeds off of sucrose and fructose so you want to limit it. Here is a good infographic for healthy low glycemic foods: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Bulletproof-Diet-Infographic-Vector.pdf

2. Fiber

You want to focus on eating foods that are high in fiber and will repair the mucin lining of your gut. You have bacteria in your gut that produce mucin in order to keep your gut lining aka epithelial lining thick and strong. Those bacteria like high fiber foods. Fruits, veggies, etc. So, ideally low glycemic fruits and veggies, and whatever other good high fiber foods you enjoy like mushrooms for instance. Maintaining the balance of bacteria is obtained by feeding good bacteria, and killing bad bacteria. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUC2)

Some tips for increasing gut health:

· Avoid simple carbohydrates.

· Raw honey is one exception, and is good in moderation.

· Avoid Low quality meats as they can cause secondary exposure to hormones and antibiotics that will potentially damage your gut microbiome.

· Avoid alcohol, it contains bad bacteria and lots of sugar. There is a hierarchy of alcohol as it pertains to health: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/BulletproofAlcoholInfographic_R00141223_draft1.png

· Avoid unclean and poorly raised produce. Wash your produce well.

3. Leaky Gut & Endotoxins:

Leaky gut is the process of your body releasing endotoxins into your bloodstream through your gut due to epithelial erosion. Lots of people suffer from endotoxin release from the food they eat, because they have a poor gut biome and their mucin lining has decayed. If after you go to the bathroom your feces is often covered with mucus that is a good sign that your gut lining is decaying. Your mucin lining is possibly coming out of your body. It is at the very least a sign of high level intestinal distress. If this is happening then you need to act immediately to begin repairing your gut health, overall health, and potential longevity.

Endotoxin release is the beginning of a systemic inflammation cycle. It is related to a long list of health problems and complications that can lead to death. Endotoxin binds to your LDL lipoprotein aka cholesterol when it makes it through your gut lining into your bloodstream. LDL has areas designed for endotoxin to bind to in order to keep you from dying from the toxins entering your bloodstream. The problem with this is that your immune system begins to attack your LDL lipoprotein endlessly, because you have an endless supply of endotoxin from eating normally. This is at least partially why a lot of people suffer from immune reactions after eating, and it's also why lots of people suffer cardiovascular problems. Cholesterol serves a specific function in maintaining cardiovascular health in your body, but when this cycle begins it then becomes a major risk factor for you.

4. Supplementation

Another part of the protocol is supplementation: It's not a bad idea to start out your gut health repair regimen with the application of some natural antibacterial foods and supplements. This can aid in killing bacteria to sort of start with a clean slate. You can just consume these types of foods in large quantities, but supplementation is a little simpler.

§ Ginkgo Biloba & Garlic: Both potent antibacterial agents. They are so powerful they can be used topically to kill skin infections. After taking these for a period I noticed it began to upset my stomach. I believe that meant I was done needing them, and I was beginning to damage the overall quality of my gut microbiome.

§ Apple Cider Vinegar: Beneficial in multiple ways; It aids in increasing the acidic environment in your gut, and it also contains beneficial bacteria. ALWAYS GET IT WITH "THE MOTHER".

§ MSM aka methylsufonylmethane (I use NOW Brand) is beneficial because it will coat the lining of your gut epithelial cells, help kill off bad bacteria and even invasive parasites. The dosages I've used are between 2g-4g per day. I started with 2g, and I ended up getting really sick after about a week. I believe it's because I was having a massive parasitic die off aka jarisch-herxheimer reaction or simply herxheimer reaction. I got very sick for a week, and was stuck in bed for 3 days shitting myself and then passing out again. I had a potentially bad case due to longterm usage of antibiotics and poor diet. MSM also has a lot of other health benefits. It's basically bioavailable sulphur which is something your body really needs and does not get enough of from food. Sulphur aids in the counteraction of glyphosate. Also, helps with certain nutrient absorption. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarisch%E2%80%93Herxheimer_reaction#Signs_and_symptoms)

§ L-Glutamine - Ideally in powder form. It should taken as part of an increasing dosage protocol. 1,2.5,5,10g a day for consecutive days until you reach 20g. If you still would like to continue the protocol up to 40g per day is acceptable. Some people do not react well to L-Glutamine so if it isn't helping then you can avoid it. This will help repair your gut.

§ Capsicum (Cayenne Pepper) - Stimulates enzyme production in the gut. Helps soothe the gut.

§ Coconut & MCT Oil - Both have antimicrobial properties and the oil will soothe gut inflammation.

§ Digestive enzymes - Can be taken with food to help increase nutrient absorption and maintain gut health. These occur naturally, but production of them can diminish due to diet and health.

§ Betaine HCL - This should be taken with meals. It will increase your stomach acid which helps in multiple ways. It will increase how easily you breakdown food and in turn how much nutrients you absorb, and it will also create a more acidic environment which will make it harder for bacteria to overgrow.

§ Probiotics - There are a lot of probiotics out there. Generally, the ones at the grocery store will be less good. You can research yourself to find one that is highly reputable. I take one from the grocery store and one that is included in my supplementation program. The most potent probiotic to my knowledge is VSL 3. (http://www.vsl3.com/)

§ Cultured foods - There are many foods out there with bacterial cultures in them that are very good for you. Two of popular ones are Kombucha Tea & Kimchi. Apple Cider Vinegar is included in this list.

5. Gut Microbiome Sequencing

If you want to get really intense in quantifying your gut health you can use this service. http://ubiome.com/They will sequence the bacteria in your gut after you send them a sample, and you will know exactly what is happening in your gut.

Remember that your diet is key to this entire process succeeding. If there are problems with your diet they will need to be fixed, because diet is the number #1 factor in maintaining a good gut microbiome.

I forgot to mention there are inflammatory properties to wheat protein and there is a diverse set of symptoms that people can encounter whether they be celiacs, silent celiacs, immuno-compromised, or otherwise. Wheat protein is cross-reactive with inflammatory problems so if you're trying to improve your health it is a good thing to experiment with so that you become aware of how your body reacts to it.

Archived