IGNORED

The "Life" Thread

LimpyLoo

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got plastered drunk at the company holiday party and don't know whether or not I made an ass out of myself. I think it was fine, but there are a couple times of the evening where I'm not really sure what happened.

I got plastered drunk at the company holiday party and don't know whether or not I made an ass out of myself. I think it was fine, but there are a couple times of the evening where I'm not really sure what happened.

Don't worry, you are supposed to make an ass out of yourself in these sort of parties.

Went to a guest lecture last night and there was wine after the event. Drank most of the wine with another student. Went home with an almost full box of wine that I somehow procured. Today had an awful hangover and had things to do and I had to puke a few times in the street.

Just saw this zinger in the "puzzle" thread:

A) You're Limpyloo and got here through ten years of bad life choices.

B) Apologise

So this'll be my last word on the subject...

1) I started this thread after reading a recent academic paper on the 'neuroplasticity model' of depression.

I thought 'holy shit, this fucking changes everything.'

I stayed up until 4 in the morning typing out the OP on my g/f's phone with my pointer finger, as I thought it would be a game-changer for many folks on this forum who've talked about their struggle with depression.

The response?

"Oh great, another FWP thread"

"Boo boo"

"Go find some friends"

I genuinely thought that this sort of information would help people.

This thread was meant to be a depository of scientific and folk wisdom.

The only reason it looks like a 'LimpyLoo's diary' thread is because nobody else posted anything of substance.

So if you're wondering why I might act disillusioned or over-sensitive about this thread, it's because I tried to contribute something meaningful to watmm, and I got rediculed almost as bad as Chunky did after his last anti-Semitic tirade.

2) I see myself as fair game for mockery.

If I do something that warrants mockery, please have at it. Truly.

After all, I do dish it out plenty (although not indiscriminately).

However, you'll forgive me if I'm lacking a sense of humor in the wake of this thread's reception.

Sent from my pee-pee using poo-poo

it's because I tried to contribute something meaningful to watmm

There is a lonely boy in the wind tower,

rejecting the fact that all ambition is useless.

The grey hissing sky gives him access to endless

branched thoughts in the wasteland of his fears.

He had a dream about six figures behind a red

curtain, creating a field of blood stained flowers

with their minds.

His name is Case Pone.

Just saw this zinger in the "puzzle" thread:

A) You're Limpyloo and got here through ten years of bad life choices.

B) Apologise

So this'll be my last word on the subject...

1) I started this thread after reading a recent academic paper on the 'neuroplasticity model' of depression.

I thought 'holy shit, this fucking changes everything.'

I stayed up until 4 in the morning typing out the OP on my g/f's phone with my pointer finger, as I thought it would be a game-changer for many folks on this forum who've talked about their struggle with depression.

The response?

"Oh great, another FWP thread"

"Boo boo"

"Go find some friends"

I genuinely thought that this sort of information would help people.

This thread was meant to be a depository of scientific and folk wisdom.

The only reason it looks like a 'LimpyLoo's diary' thread is because nobody else posted anything of substance.

So if you're wondering why I might act disillusioned or over-sensitive about this thread, it's because I tried to contribute something meaningful to watmm, and I got rediculed almost as bad as Chunky did after his last anti-Semitic tirade.

2) I see myself as fair game for mockery.

If I do something that warrants mockery, please have at it. Truly.

After all, I do dish it out plenty (although not indiscriminately).

However, you'll forgive me if I'm lacking a sense of humor in the wake of this thread's reception.

Does not compute.

How so?

I've posted what science has to say about:

-depression

-how our 'self story' determines what we do and don't do

-growth mindset vs static mindset

-how much sleep we need and why

-diet, sugar and (pre) diabetes

-how glucocorticoids (stress hormones) will destroy your brain

And most importantly

-how anti-oxidants will make you smell more attractive

I posted a couple anecdotes about my life...so what?

Limpy i want you to go into ''The Box''

Schlitze, m9

You're gonna make relapse on sugar...

*loses toe to Cinnamon Toast Crunch*

Cause folk wisdom tends largely to be based on utterly unscientific bullshit...

For centuries, meditation was 'folk wisdom'

Only in in the last 15 years has science taken an interest in it

And confirmed its benefits

But yes a lot of folk wisdom is indeed bullshit

However, there is so much that science has yet to weigh in on

So in the meanwhile, folk wisdom is the only game in town

Oh, that reminds me (for some reason) of this episode of the podcast Composer Quest:

http://www.charliemccarron.com/2013/10/the-psychology-of-creativity-with-wilma-koutstaal/

This woman is a cognitive neuroscientist who studies creativity

And she has a lot of immensely-useful things to say about overcoming writer's block, taking different perspectives and how that facilitates creativity, etc

(I think I was reminded of this because, until science took an interest in creativity, a lot of these ideas were mere 'folk wisdom')

Uh meditation was not "folk wisdom" for centuries. Hell people in "the west" barely knew it existed until very recently.

In the east it has long been an established practice. Yes they might not have had a physiological understanding of what it did to the body, but they had a system with reproducible results.

Maybe we're looking at folk wisdom from two different perspectives. For me folk wisdom entails stuff like "hang a dead rabbit outside to keep the plague away"

Or

"All fat is bad for you"

Uh meditation was not "folk wisdom" for centuries. Hell people in "the west" barely knew it existed until very recently.

In the east it has long been an established practice. Yes they might not have had a physiological understanding of what it did to the body, but they had a system with reproducible results.

Maybe we're looking at folk wisdom from two different perspectives. For me folk wisdom entails stuff like "hang a dead rabbit outside to keep the plague away"

Or

"All fat is bad for you"

What you are describing is what I meant by 'folk wisdom.'

Perhaps 'folk science' would be a better term.

In any case, that's exactly what I meant by "scientific and folk wisdom":

I didn't mean "science and superstition" or "science and unfounded gut feelings."

Edit: I missed your last paragraph the first time but yeah I think that's the case

I actually just started regularly testing and tracking my blood glucose this week. It's interesting.

Whoa

What prompted that?

on a strict keto diet trying to control for glucose problems. your regular glucose levels are pretty good indicators of all kind of diseases later in life. It can also help you determine if you're reactive to certain foods, when you need to refeed carbs, and if you are under eating. Good for troubleshooting your diet overall. Also I don't want diabetes.

Archived