IGNORED

Th Homeless

Redruth

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jesus christ, the disproportionate hate and shit storming in this thread is quite frankly completely uncalled for and the reason i post very little on this forum now.

thanks you for raising a relevant and interesting topic Redruth, it's a shame no one wants to discuss anything beyond their own narrow sphere of existence.

Remember that guy who wanted to make a documentary about homelessness and died on his first night sleeping on the streets... I just googled it and turns out the guy didn't die of hypothermia as I remembered, but actually Adult Sudden Death Syndrome (aka Anyone Can Drop Dead For No Reason At Any Given Time And There's No Way To Prevent It Syndrome)

sorry, I didn't mean to upset you with the ballsacks. you can give me a warning point if it makes you feel better.

it wasn't directed at you so much usagi as your insult was at least amusing. i wish everyone would lighten up on here and be open to discussion. it sucks.

Remember that guy who wanted to make a documentary about homelessness and died on his first night sleeping on the streets... I just googled it and turns out the guy didn't die of hypothermia as I remembered, but actually Adult Sudden Death Syndrome (aka Anyone Can Drop Dead For No Reason At Any Given Time And There's No Way To Prevent It Syndrome)

the point of this message being that I wanted to discuss what happened to this guy but then found out it's not really relevant to this topic anymore but I posted that anyway (sorry can't edit original post)

the point of this message being that I wanted to discuss what happened to this guy but then found out it's not really relevant to this topic anymore but I posted that anyway (sorry can't edit original post)

you didn't really give us much time to respond to your point though did you, whatever it was. what is it?

The topic is an excellent and valid one, especially with the terrible prices involved in renting and buying a house. Any hate I have is for the terrible spelling in the OP, which ruins a good topic with a post that seems incredibly insincere. Serious topic, total lack of respect for getting it across sincerely. If I have a serious message I wanted to get across and wanted people to respond in kind, I wouldn't do it using txt spk.

After having gone through a whole load of shit to buy my modest flat, I can only imagine the horror a family would be going through to manage either 1) monthly rents 2) saving up to pay for a deposit on top of that, which is the single greatest problem with the current market. If deposits weren't so ridiculous and buy-to-let porfolio owners rewarded so fantastically perhaps the homelessness rate and housing situation wouldn't be the total bag of shit it is. (In England, at least)

Have no idea what to say about people who choose to live homeless, especially if they have money. Sort of feels like scraping food onto the floor because you're not hungry, which seems a waste when so many are going hungry. But everyone's life is different so I couldn't see why such a move would make sense.

did an art project, i guess early 20s, where me & a mate went homeless for a slept for a day/night with a camera along the way, ex gf erased took the tape or something, memories are hazy, we did drawings along the way, dragging cardboard along the way= free coffee was fun but at night it took a turn, was rly grim, when your outside in london for too long you start to taste the air from the fumes, that smell always comes back

The topic is an excellent and valid one, especially with the terrible prices involved in renting and buying a house. Any hate I have is for the terrible spelling in the OP, which ruins a good topic with a post that seems incredibly insincere. Serious topic, total lack of respect for getting it across sincerely. If I have a serious message I wanted to get across and wanted people to respond in kind, I wouldn't do it using txt spk.

After having gone through a whole load of shit to buy my modest flat, I can only imagine the horror a family would be going through to manage either 1) monthly rents 2) saving up to pay for a deposit on top of that, which is the single greatest problem with the current market. If deposits weren't so ridiculous and buy-to-let porfolio owners rewarded so fantastically perhaps the homelessness rate and housing situation wouldn't be the total bag of shit it is. (In England, at least)

Have no idea what to say about people who choose to live homeless, especially if they have money. Sort of feels like scraping food onto the floor because you're not hungry, which seems a waste when so many are going hungry. But everyone's life is different so I couldn't see why such a move would make sense.

I'll be glad when I can finally afford a deposit, but I have the privilege of a beefy payslip and no overhead from kids to do so, not a luxury everyone has. Being free of Buy to Let ghouls will make a nice change. My current landlord is selling the place to another investor - one person came round to look at the place when I was in. Didn't even preface some small talk or pleasantries before asking me if I was employed. Been paying the rent for six months on time, but gotta check those fat cashcow titties, huh?

Anyway yeah, jokes aside, Manchester has a huge homeless issue. Rough sleepers everywhere in the city centre and I don't know what the council is doing about it - I don't even know what the most effective solution is. Were council houses any good at helping people find their feet? Either way, no solution means the vacuum of hope is filled with dangerous cretins like Wesley Hall.

in the cases where people choose to go back on the street i feel very much that it's a case of them becoming habituated to it.

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2012/dec/31/homelessness-rough-sleeping-in-winter

http://www.socialoutcast.net/blog/2009/03/24/10-reasons-why-homeless-people-choose-to-be-homeless/

many will find it extremely hard to reintegrate back into society, some won't want to.

initially though most people don't choose it and just end up there.

http://www.streetsoflondon.org.uk/about-homelessness

I saw this movie a few years ago here in Seattle, and it really is intense and captivating. It follows 9 homeless individuals in Seattle over two years; at some point, each is asked to choose their favorite famous speech from history, memorize it, and recite it. May not sound like it, but the whole thing ends up being really powerful... I'm not sure where you can find the whole movie online, but if you do, please give it a watch. It hits pretty hard.

After I saw it in theatres, the main "protagonist" of the film came and hung out for a bit, with the dog that had been bought for him by the filmmakers. Throughout the movie, it was clear he was incapable of taking care of himself, but that he was incredibly compassionate about taking care of his friends -- and his friends got the hunch that if he had a dog, a friend that would always be with him, he would end up taking care of himself as well, just to make sure the dog was OK. And from what he said in person, it did sorta work. :) Makes me wonder where he's at nowadays (that was about 6 years ago).

Luke, you ever seen Streetwise? One of my fave docs ever

It's about homeless kids in Portland, OR (IIRC) in '89 or '92 or thereabouts...it's really heartbreaking (and kinda strangely hopeful, too)

Serious topic, total lack of respect for getting it across sincerely. If I have a serious message I wanted to get across and wanted people to respond in kind, I wouldn't do it using txt spk.

Yes, this is what he's done. He's trivialized a serious subject by hiding behind his latest gimmick, a very poor choice. The guy is basically a string of failed gimmicks. It's clear he is a very limited individual, whatever he can do to stand out from the crowd he'll try, but he doesn't have much in his locker. Missing out some random vowels is as good as it's ever gonna get. In this case it was in bad taste. At the age he's at now you'd expect some maturity, but it's just a constant cycle of rejection, getting confidence back, failed gimmick, hiding in the shadows. As hard as people are on him though it's worth remembering that this guy is someone's son.

Luke, you ever seen Streetwise? One of my fave docs ever

great documentary. they were going to film a follow up which almost entirely focused on tiny, but the crowdfunding wasn't successful then mary ellen died.

I think it goes against our nature as human beings to even want to be part of and contribute to the society we currently have. so I don't blame these homeless people who want nothing to do with it. Getting high everyday and hanging out outside is probably a more meaningful existence than a lot of people have.

I think it goes against our nature as human beings to even want to be part of and contribute to the society we currently have. so I don't blame these homeless people who want nothing to do with it. Getting high everyday and hanging out outside is probably a more meaningful existence than a lot of people have.

How so? I think that since we're social creatures (like all the other primates) that caring for each other is inherent.

There's a cultural component lionizing individualism in the western world, but I think at our core we're not naturally terrible to each other. We're taught to be that way.

Serious topic, total lack of respect for getting it across sincerely. If I have a serious message I wanted to get across and wanted people to respond in kind, I wouldn't do it using txt spk.

Yes, this is what he's done. He's trivialized a serious subject by hiding behind his latest gimmick, a very poor choice. The guy is basically a string of failed gimmicks. It's clear he is a very limited individual, whatever he can do to stand out from the crowd he'll try, but he doesn't have much in his locker. Missing out some random vowels is as good as it's ever gonna get. In this case it was in bad taste. At the age he's at now you'd expect some maturity, but it's just a constant cycle of rejection, getting confidence back, failed gimmick, hiding in the shadows. As hard as people are on him though it's worth remembering that this guy is someone's son.

cause it's you schlitze i know that you are likely joshing in the very dry way that you do, but you know it's odd how some of you chaps can have all this sympathy for these mental people that can't quite cope with society so end up placing themselves into the category of the homeless, but then rail against a person that is also slightly different from the mainstream of how people 'should' behave.

I think the sympathetic angle is likely only virtue signalling to the group about how 'caring' you are about a nebulous group of people, that of course you'll never have to meet and consort with in real or online. If you were really caring people, then when actually confronted with a real live humon who functions on a level that is tweeked from the ordinary you wouldn't be carrying on with the attitude of, 'oh fuck them, they're so weird, how dare they ruin it for everyone, put them out of my sight and on to the street already'. Full stop end of discussion. This careless self centred biggotry that is so completely unselfaware that it can't fathom even the most basic hypocrisy, is all rather silly you know. So lighten up kids, you are clearly not qualified to be the moral arbiters of any jack thing. And lets get on with actual, real tolerance and harmony.

i often think about dropping out just cause i dont have it in me anymore to keep working minimum wage 9 to 6 soul crushing jobs but then i think about how i won't have a house to come to, a bed to sleep on and a family that cares even tho im down all the time, that is my worst nightmare and it pains me to see the homeless because i know they think about the home, the bed and family too, the difference is in my world its a fucked up fantasy but for them its reality.

yeah, complete disconnection with no safety net scares the shit out of me too. So i keep my nowhere job and take mediocrity over destitution. In some ways i'm like your representation of the homeless though, in that i have no ambition, no sense of forward momentum, no understanding deep in my being of how to truly change this state of being. I'm not an addict though. And i don't have schizophrenia or any heavy mental conditions, so really, i'm just a lazy sob. heh.

As for doing more for the homeless. You guys couldn't take my anti-mass immigration rant that explains the obliteration of the social welfare state to the point that even the bridges that they sleep under are crumbling.

Archived