IGNORED

Th Homeless

Redruth

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't, but I actually just started reading about it when I was trying to google the name of that doc above ^^. I'll have to check it out

My favorite part of Streetwise is how they groom each other

I think it comes from a combination of

A) intense bonding based on shared hardship

B) a lack of normal social inhibition ('embarrassment') that comes from long-term homelessness

I think there is some deep psychological/sociological insight in that doc

u hav bn a cunt 2me in th past deer, but tht ws a vry good post. ths is why i started th thread. do nt use me typing style as distraction! do we nt take care of each-other still; because we r humans? competition + money is root + evil. no help because no profit$ it $atan. we r scared to hpl one another and ths is a sign of th end evil. wht is love other then to hlp others?

we vote wth our lives + lifestyles, if we gt ths thn we cn b free. fck politics. reanimate money. if u spend it thn it must b good things :) if u spend money on corrupt bull-shite thn don't expect th word to change. simple truth is simple. vote with wear u earn + wear ur spend :)

edit: autocorrect :(

Why must you spell like such an idiot?

It's so tedious

I have no trouble reading it, i don't see what the problem is. Maybe it's an iQ test that some of you are failing, i'd hate to think what you young'uns would have done when people were speaking on irc at an hundred miles an hour in 1337 5p34k. Most people on here used to be fine with each of my dleet-speek varients, ascdi and chen et all could understand what i was saying and respond no worries. What rdrth is doing is quite easy going compared to that really, as it's normal nglsh sometimes mns vwlls, so metim es with spa ces. gives a shit.

The topic is an excellent and valid one, especially with the terrible prices involved in renting and buying a house. Any hate I have is for the terrible spelling in the OP, which ruins a good topic with a post that seems incredibly insincere. Serious topic, total lack of respect for getting it across sincerely. If I have a serious message I wanted to get across and wanted people to respond in kind, I wouldn't do it using txt spk.

After having gone through a whole load of shit to buy my modest flat, I can only imagine the horror a family would be going through to manage either 1) monthly rents 2) saving up to pay for a deposit on top of that, which is the single greatest problem with the current market. If deposits weren't so ridiculous and buy-to-let porfolio owners rewarded so fantastically perhaps the homelessness rate and housing situation wouldn't be the total bag of shit it is. (In England, at least)

Have no idea what to say about people who choose to live homeless, especially if they have money. Sort of feels like scraping food onto the floor because you're not hungry, which seems a waste when so many are going hungry. But everyone's life is different so I couldn't see why such a move would make sense.

I'll be glad when I can finally afford a deposit, but I have the privilege of a beefy payslip and no overhead from kids to do so, not a luxury everyone has. Being free of Buy to Let ghouls will make a nice change. My current landlord is selling the place to another investor - one person came round to look at the place when I was in. Didn't even preface some small talk or pleasantries before asking me if I was employed. Been paying the rent for six months on time, but gotta check those fat cashcow titties, huh?

Anyway yeah, jokes aside, Manchester has a huge homeless issue. Rough sleepers everywhere in the city centre and I don't know what the council is doing about it - I don't even know what the most effective solution is. Were council houses any good at helping people find their feet? Either way, no solution means the vacuum of hope is filled with dangerous cretins like Wesley Hall.

Me too: I had no major outgoings which allowed me to put a decent amount away each month. I can only sympathise for those stuck in high rent situations with no chance of putting a penny away.

As for squatting, many councils are starting to open up abandoned buildings as a way for the homeless to have somewhere to have a roof over their heads. The highest profile case of it recently was Gary Neville allowing squatters to remain in place until his company began renovating it. Not permanent, but it's a start and a help: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/18/former-manchester-united-star-occupiers-of-hotel-winter-ryan-giggs-gary-neville

What rdrth is doing is quite easy going compared to that really, as it's normal nglsh sometimes mns vwlls, so metim es with spa ces. gives a shit.

withut a doubt. wht is tht gibberish? u mst b th moron, i cunt ovrstand a word yr typing in :) gtf offff th internt, u r wort fac troll :)

edit: autocorrect

What rdrth is doing is quite easy going compared to that really, as it's normal nglsh sometimes mns vwlls, so metim es with spa ces. gives a shit.

withut a doubt. wht is tht gibberish? u mst b th moron, i cunt ovrstand a word yr typing in :) gtf offff th internt, u r wort fac troll :)

edit: autocorrect

[-;

The topic is an excellent and valid one, especially with the terrible prices involved in renting and buying a house. Any hate I have is for the terrible spelling in the OP, which ruins a good topic with a post that seems incredibly insincere. Serious topic, total lack of respect for getting it across sincerely. If I have a serious message I wanted to get across and wanted people to respond in kind, I wouldn't do it using txt spk.

After having gone through a whole load of shit to buy my modest flat, I can only imagine the horror a family would be going through to manage either 1) monthly rents 2) saving up to pay for a deposit on top of that, which is the single greatest problem with the current market. If deposits weren't so ridiculous and buy-to-let porfolio owners rewarded so fantastically perhaps the homelessness rate and housing situation wouldn't be the total bag of shit it is. (In England, at least)

Have no idea what to say about people who choose to live homeless, especially if they have money. Sort of feels like scraping food onto the floor because you're not hungry, which seems a waste when so many are going hungry. But everyone's life is different so I couldn't see why such a move would make sense.

I'll be glad when I can finally afford a deposit, but I have the privilege of a beefy payslip and no overhead from kids to do so, not a luxury everyone has. Being free of Buy to Let ghouls will make a nice change. My current landlord is selling the place to another investor - one person came round to look at the place when I was in. Didn't even preface some small talk or pleasantries before asking me if I was employed. Been paying the rent for six months on time, but gotta check those fat cashcow titties, huh?

Anyway yeah, jokes aside, Manchester has a huge homeless issue. Rough sleepers everywhere in the city centre and I don't know what the council is doing about it - I don't even know what the most effective solution is. Were council houses any good at helping people find their feet? Either way, no solution means the vacuum of hope is filled with dangerous cretins like Wesley Hall.

Me too: I had no major outgoings which allowed me to put a decent amount away each month. I can only sympathise for those stuck in high rent situations with no chance of putting a penny away.

As for squatting, many councils are starting to open up abandoned buildings as a way for the homeless to have somewhere to have a roof over their heads. The highest profile case of it recently was Gary Neville allowing squatters to remain in place until his company began renovating it. Not permanent, but it's a start and a help: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/18/former-manchester-united-star-occupiers-of-hotel-winter-ryan-giggs-gary-neville

I hear what you're saying but - from my limited perspective, as I've never worked with the homeless (I'd like to volunteer at some point) nor ever been in a situation where I've even come close to it myself - I've always felt there was a strong mental health component to a lot of entrenched homelessness. like, there are people who can have a roof over their heads or who don't necessarily have to beg openly, but choose not to because they feel it's their place to be the so-called 'scum' and lowlives on the street. they lose faith in themselves and just accept their situation. those are the people who won't be able to get out of their situation without some help. rising rent/cost of living is of course a problem still, but distinct from this I think.

Limp is in no position to criticise other people's posting styles given his tendency to go retard-haiku.

I post that way because personally I don't like reading posts that pull your eyes all the way across the screen and I've experimented with different formats to combat this and settled on the current one and although it's kinda silly I think it's much easier on the eye

I hear what you're saying but - from my limited perspective, as I've never worked with the homeless (I'd like to volunteer at some point) nor ever been in a situation where I've even come close to it myself - I've always felt there was a strong mental health component to a lot of entrenched homelessness. like, there are people who can have a roof over their heads or who don't necessarily have to beg openly, but choose not to because they feel it's their place to be the so-called 'scum' and lowlives on the street. they lose faith in themselves and just accept their situation. those are the people who won't be able to get out of their situation without some help. rising rent/cost of living is of course a problem still, but distinct from this I think.

True. If they're given some help, it's sort of pointless if they can't help themselves, and worse if they're unable to due to some mental problems enforcing their doubts / low self-esteem.

I can only hope organisations like Shelter and so on try to help with those issues too, other than just blindly giving them food / temporary accomodation.

In fact, that link with the footballer even mentions criticism of the squatter plan, saying it reinforces the idea that their dwellings are temporary, that there is no permanent home for people like them.

With that in mind, it makes you wonder what possible solution there could be, if there could ever be one. How to help people who refuse / can't accept help?

Well, still no reason to post like that unless you want to read back your own posts.

Sent from my E2105 using Tapatalk

I have integrated the Golden Rule into my formatting decisions

And this is why writing in

odd

s

t

y

l

e

s

is not "weird" or "unique" it's bloody stupid - because talking about the writing styles distracts from the actual content.

You're not creating a piece of art. This is not Molly Bloom's stream of consciousness. You're not performing Burroughs-esque cut-and-paste, you're asking a question about homelessness.

True. If they're given some help, it's sort of pointless if they can't help themselves, and worse if they're unable to due to some mental problems enforcing their doubts / low self-esteem.

I can only hope organisations like Shelter and so on try to help with those issues too, other than just blindly giving them food / temporary accomodation.

In fact, that link with the footballer even mentions criticism of the squatter plan, saying it reinforces the idea that their dwellings are temporary, that there is no permanent home for people like them.

With that in mind, it makes you wonder what possible solution there could be, if there could ever be one. How to help people who refuse / can't accept help?

exactly the problem.

I think you have to have a very direct person-to-person approach. you have to sit down and talk to people and understand them and learn where they've come from and why they are where they are. part of the reason homelessness is a perpetual problem is that either a) the government doesn't care about them and just wants to sweep them off the streets (I can see this being an attitude particularly prevalent amongst the UK Tories right now), and b) hamfisted one-size-fits-all government solutions aren't going to really fix the problem by themselves anyway.

as with all mental health type issues, you can't hope to solve them by just throwing money and general rules at the problem. there is no getting around the difficult legwork of actually sitting down and talking to people.

I think it goes against our nature as human beings to even want to be part of and contribute to the society we currently have. so I don't blame these homeless people who want nothing to do with it. Getting high everyday and hanging out outside is probably a more meaningful existence than a lot of people have.

How so? I think that since we're social creatures (like all the other primates) that caring for each other is inherent.

There's a cultural component lionizing individualism in the western world, but I think at our core we're not naturally terrible to each other. We're taught to be that way.

This is actually an incredibly complicated question to answer.

Definitely bonding and caring are inherent to us and extremely important.

And I believe in the good nature of human beings. It's just perverted by structures like government and society. Mostly cunts taking over government though.

I think it goes against our nature as human beings to even want to be part of and contribute to the society we currently have. so I don't blame these homeless people who want nothing to do with it. Getting high everyday and hanging out outside is probably a more meaningful existence than a lot of people have.

How so? I think that since we're social creatures (like all the other primates) that caring for each other is inherent.

There's a cultural component lionizing individualism in the western world, but I think at our core we're not naturally terrible to each other. We're taught to be that way.

This is actually an incredibly complicated question to answer.

Definitely bonding and caring are inherent to us and extremely important.

And I believe in the good nature of human beings. It's just perverted by structures like government and society. Mostly cunts taking over government though.

Life without society would be solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short. Every man would be in a state of war against the other.

I wouldn't spit on you directly, but I know some who would. I also know some who would take whatever they wanted off you.

That's why we have government.

I saw this movie a few years ago here in Seattle, and it really is intense and captivating. It follows 9 homeless individuals in Seattle over two years; at some point, each is asked to choose their favorite famous speech from history, memorize it, and recite it. May not sound like it, but the whole thing ends up being really powerful... I'm not sure where you can find the whole movie online, but if you do, please give it a watch. It hits pretty hard.

After I saw it in theatres, the main "protagonist" of the film came and hung out for a bit, with the dog that had been bought for him by the filmmakers. Throughout the movie, it was clear he was incapable of taking care of himself, but that he was incredibly compassionate about taking care of his friends -- and his friends got the hunch that if he had a dog, a friend that would always be with him, he would end up taking care of himself as well, just to make sure the dog was OK. And from what he said in person, it did sorta work. :) Makes me wonder where he's at nowadays (that was about 6 years ago).

thanks for posting this, i managed to find this on the youtubes.

will continue to look for the entire film.

Under capitalism, it seems to me that any benefits to society are secondary and accidental.

Capitalism is, as they say, "the worst possible service at the highest possible price."

Archived