IGNORED

Th Homeless

Redruth

i thnk it is interesting to thnk about th homelessness. sum choose it + sum r forced. many r mentally unstable, yet vry sweet and entertaining to talk wth :) others r th harppyhomeless wth no problem. some r suffering in extreme ways. why don't we take care of th homeless; why do we nt take care of each-other? does homelessness hav a connection to r root in tribal reality; our subconscious need to live nomadically? y do people think th solution to homelessness is go to th charity shop, get new clothes + go get th slave job? r th homeless actually r greatest activists, giving the middle-finger to systems of control?

please share yr thoughts on homelessness :)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thnk it is interesting to thnk about th homelessness. sum choose it + sum r forced. many r mentally unstable, yet vry sweet and entertaining to talk wth :) others r th harppyhomeless wth no problem. some r suffering in extreme ways. why don't we take care of th homeless; why do we nt take care of each-other? does homelessness hav a connection to r root in tribal reality; our subconscious need to live nomadically? y do people think th solution to homelessness is go to th charity shop, get new clothes + go get th slave job? r th homeless actually r greatest activists, giving the middle-finger to systems of control?

please share yr thoughts on homelessness :)

You are a horrible abortion of a man. You're lost. I'll watch how this thread pans out. Your a vile worm. You're less than nothing. A little mummy's boy.

Hmm...

My town has a massive homeless population. On Congress St there is a beggar every block or so. There is a shelter, a couple soup kitchens, free clinics, a skid-row area called "hobo jungle", and the bench across from my apartment always have a homeless person sleeping on it (day or night). Also, there's three or four dudes who pick through my building's trash on a daily basis. And there is a huge homeless population down by the docks.

I would say it's mostly a matter of mental illness (with the occasional crust-punk trying to bankroll a weekend Molly bender). But yeah, it is some heavy shit. Sometimes this town feels like a drab picaresque scene out of Dostoyevsky or Camus or Knut Hansun. Oh and also there's a hunchback with an L-shaped spine who picks through the garbage in the square across the street.

I mean, luckily there are a lot of social programs so it's not this hopeless miserable situation. Whenever I have cash on me I give a dollar to whomever I pass, and I give all my bottles to the guys who sort through my building's trash.

Dunno what else to say about it, really. Obviously, I feel for them. Also, they are disproportionately black (and by quite a bit), which isn't surprising given the history of race in America.

If our economic system weren't set up so that some people are automatically granted with extreme wealth and others with extreme poverty, then you would have far fewer homeless people.

Mental health is a huge factor as a lot of state funded mental institutions lost funding and just sent out all of their patients. Many of them are schizophrenic and can't take care of themselves or are extremely anti-social.

There are lots of programs to help the homeless in most cities...lets not wash over that and act like no one is helping

True, but they are often understaffed, underfunded, and have too high an influx to make a meaningful impact.

The homeless problem here is completely absurd. The city treats them, literally, like garbage.

The homeless problem here is completely absurd. The city treats them, literally, like garbage.

san francisco has a pretty good program called lava mae offering free mobile hygiene services to homeless people in downtown san francisco (mostly the tenderloin but also hitting castro & civic center)

the homeless situation in los angeles is pretty grime. despite all the various missions, LAHS (homeless shelter authority) etc. getting about $150 million and talks of relocating the homeless from skid row i can honestly say the situation has gotten worse.

but i think this thread is less about that and more to do with something like this. in fact, there was a famous case in new york of a guy who was a millionaire who made his living as a homeless man. he'd literarly park his mercedes a few blocks away, change into his "homeless clothes" and go panhandle. he actually lived in an apartment in manhattan with a wife that had an office job and had two kids.

i've also always wondered about those that panhandle outside places like in & out or starbucks. those are expensive if you're tight with cash. you can get a lot more with spare change at 7-11 or walgreens.

The irony of homelessness is that it's 100% a creation of society. All of these homeless people could walk straight into a forest and live peacefully, but in our concrete jungles, there is no way to sustain oneself without $$$. It's quite perverse.

And if you try to live a sustainable/more natural lifestyle within many of these communities, they will come down on you with the force of the government via regulation.

Try building an earthship in a high income area, and see how far you get. You can barely survive alternatively in middle-class suburban areas even if you understand how to live 100% renewably. Government regulation is another weapon wielded by the powerful to keep people from living the way they desire.

Try building an earthship in a high income area, and see how far you get. You can barely survive alternatively in middle-class suburban areas even if you understand how to live 100% renewably. Government regulation is another weapon wielded by the powerful to keep people from living the way they desire.

Try building an earthship anywhere on a budget. They're a great idea but I've looked into it and it ends up being about $200/SF (not including building labor) to build one that can be totally off-grid.

Try building an earthship anywhere on a budget. They're a great idea but I've looked into it and it ends up being about $200/SF (not including building labor) to build one that can be totally off-grid.

My point has zero to do with the cost of building an earth-ship. Regardless, you can live semi/fully renewable, at the very least grow your own food, for relatively cheap.

i'm more concerned about the power the wealthy have in their own right before the power they wield through government.

i mean i understand america has been heavily compromised in this area and i don't blame people for having zero faith in the idea of government because of this, but anti-government rhetoric is used as an excuse to further weaken regulations that restrict businesses from acting like sociopaths. and then this makes the government look worse than the corporations that influenced this for some reason. imo don't hate government, hate bad government that dgaf about the same people that pays their tax.

government is the chains tying us all to the ground

Being in Detroit, dare I say, yea...we got's some homeless. I've talked with several, some mentally disabled, some alcoholic/drug abused, and some I have no clue. I give a buck or 2 whenever. Even if they're bullshitting, which is the case on some corners, I figure they still need it more than me. If I'm an enabler, so be it. A couple of my favorite moments:

At my college graduation event, years ago, ended up going to a bar in the city. A couple homeless dudes were hitting people up for cash. I talked with them for a bit & then took them in the bar & covered their tabs. Only catch was they had to drink Spaten optimators with me. They did. Clayton was the more colorful of the 2. He wore a McDonald's wireless headset (drive through headset you know) as part of his ensemble. After ordering him some Crown, he was like "Man, if I had 2 kids, I would name one of them Crown & the other Royale." I was like "No truer words have ever been spoken". Good times.

Another time on Michigan Ave & Trumbull, I was driving home from work. There was some dude standing on the corner at the intersection. He had a sign that said, "I'm not going to bullshit you, all I want is a beer". I could get with that. I usually make beer runs at a place I work by, so I remembered to get some extra for if I ran across that dude again. I was lucky enough to see him the next week...same sign. The light was green, so I couldn't really stop. It was like a relay race with me handing off a pack of beer to my teammate. All I heard was a "Hell yeah". Keep calm & carry on my brother. It was a little crazy, a cop buzzed up on me & for a moment I thought it was some kind of sting operation, turned out it was a coincidence.

That reminds me. Huerco S and Florian Kupfer are playing at the Soup Kitchen in a couple of weeks.

innit

I always get asked for change when waiting outside SK, coincidence??????

very good question. i've been homeless on more than one occasion although never on the street. the housing crisis in the UK is causing more people to be homeless than ever before, but many are ignoring the issue. I don't have the option to do that as it effects me directly (and may again quite soon).

many families are currently living in B&Bs around the country due to lack of affordable housing. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/24/homelessness-england-families-temporary-accommodation-bed-and-breakfast

although they have no accurate way to measure actual figures, in terms of rough sleepers there are estimated 6,500 in London alone. http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/rough-sleeping.html

Archived