IGNORED

Zach De La Rocha solo debut, 2017. Produced by El-P !!!

Candiru

Track didn't do much for me, but I'll be curious to hear what else comes of the album. I thought the One Day As A Lion project de la Rocha did was pretty solid and could've improved with some age, sucks they've never done anything other than the one EP.

I remember De La Rocha from Rage Against the Machine in the '90s, followed El-P since 2003, and recall that they collab'd together on Run The Jewels 2.

New track is hard and unapologetic, just the way I like it.

Not bad at all, I've always thought it'd be interesting to see Zach go full hip-hop, which he's clearly always been influenced by. I liked his feature on RTJ2, I think EL-P's noisier productions will fit his style well; though at the same time I would like to see him shout less and calm it down just a little and just spit rhymes like the mellower moments of certain RATM tracks. We'll see what the album brings, I'm keeping my eye on this one.

His delivery sounds really awkward over hip hop production to me.

Yeah, I'm one of those people that generally likes El-P's production and it sounds like they are both trying pretty hard to make it work, but these two are just not lining up quite right and it's coming off stilted from both sides. Hopefully it's just a poor choice of first single.

In my general experience a bad first single usually means the rest is weak too. The obvious exceptions are like the poppiest/most mainstream sounding track from a rock band or from a rapper, but this doesn't fall into that category... I'm gonna give the rest a listen with an open mind when it's out though. DLR is such a talented lyricist that I've gotta hope, ya know?

Archived