IGNORED

Tribute to Wearing Headphones without Listening to Anything

Root5

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell man, that's well good - Love off the squiggley wiggles throughout it all. My favourite bit is at 2:52 & 3:27, sounding like a spectral plate of glass smashing into infinity.

cheers. the squidge is from my shapeshifter. super hard to tame, but when you get a good loop running, it sounds fantastic. 

Yah, so I went to a super-secret literally-underground record store in Tokyo that's hidden in an old subway tunnel and guarded by blind ex-yakuza-- and I could not find this compilation there (they carry all the best in true IDM sonics).  They said they'll have it soon, but they were also strung out on PCP, snake fighting.

leaked

Really ?! I've not heard anything ....

see what I did there #bantz

cos I don't, not a clue

sometime I try things, sometimes they work, often not

so I'm sorry, I tried. I really did. But it was just terrible.

it's prob too late now and I don't even make music but another idea for this would've been to take the sparse, off-kilter rhythms/sounds of grime in the style of, say, Logos or Rabit, and write a tune in such a way that it sounds like someone's hearing with their headphones on vs off.

I've just been listening to a lot of grime and the weird constant on/off rhythms reminded me of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keh_B7oRkhM

@usagi

i did a track with the on/off headphones idea.

the track contains field recording (collage) with serarate recordings of me putting on and taking off headphones so when i put them on my head you hear the field recording with applied filtering specific to isolation frequency curve of my headphones and you hear what'd be like to hear that recorded ambient isolated with my headphones on your head, as you were there. the majority of the track is without headphones, of course, + lots of sound design

additionally, the sounds of me putting on/ taking off phones have strong room ambience (distinctively different to ambience of the field recordings) cause i wanted to hint that listening of all those recorded sounds was either on/through a window (urban life) or maybe they were nothing more then a fantasy of a lonely human being, closed in his room. we'll never know.   :emotawesomepm9:

anyhow, the reality blends and folds and the final theme/idea of the track is that i don't nead headphones to hear '' the music'' anymore, but that's much harder to explain with words.

p.s. have you ever tried to make music?

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_m7blqjBiP21qldu2b.gif

1) is that audeze

2) is it photoshopped in

Hell man, that's well good - Love off the squiggley wiggles throughout it all. My favourite bit is at 2:52 & 3:27, sounding like a spectral plate of glass smashing into infinity.

cheers. the squidge is from my shapeshifter. super hard to tame, but when you get a good loop running, it sounds fantastic. 

is squidge actually established techno/idm slang or you just parroting afx

'Squidge'/'Squidgy' is a general British slang for something amorphous or malleable to the touch (e.g. you'd say 'that stress ball is quite squidgy') - anything that sound kinda akin to a gloopy/syrupy blob being dropped or poured to the floor and making a noise would be a squidgy sound

Gosh that's actually a harder term to define than I anticipated !

'Squidge'/'Squidgy' is a general British slang for something amorphous or malleable to the touch (e.g. you'd say 'that stress ball is quite squidgy') - anything that sound kinda akin to a gloopy/syrupy blob being dropped or poured to the floor and making a noise would be a squidgy sound

Gosh that's actually a harder term to define than I anticipated !

thank you kind man

Archived