IGNORED

David Lynch quits feature films (not really)

oscillik

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miyazaki did that like 4 times

Yeah I know - considering that the reason for Lynch dropping out seems to be budgetary reasons, maybe if someone is willing to finance something, he might come back.

But I dunno. He's getting old. And he doesn't exactly live a healthy lifestyle.

Yeah I know - considering that the reason for Lynch dropping out seems to be budgetary reasons, maybe if someone is willing to finance something, he might come back.

It's a lot of work making a movie, especially with that reputation where a lot is expected. He seems like the kind of artist who is announcing this more out of a courtesy to fans while he does stuff at his own pace and his own leisure. 

It's a lot of work making a movie, especially with that reputation where a lot is expected. He seems like the kind of artist who is announcing this more out of a courtesy to fans while he does stuff at his own pace and his own leisure. 

I'd agree with you, but Twin Peaks season 3...

I was always wondering how David Lynch was able to get funding for anything.  He has some mad creative control, and I imagine the production meetings all went something like, "I have this idea for this thing, and things happen, and much like the film, I cannot tell you the intentions or even core concepts"

Five minutes later: "ALL RIGHT BOYS LET'S GREEN LIGHT THIS MOTHERFUCKER"  

Pretty amazing.

He's pretty set about that now, but this was an aside in that Variety feature about the new TP season:

But when asked if he will continue to make feature films, he gives an impassioned answer — his longest reply by far.

“Feature films are suffering a kind of bad time right now, in my opinion, because the feature films that play in theaters are blockbusters. That seems to fill the theaters, but the art-house cinema is gone. If I made a feature film, it might play in L.A.

and New York, a couple of other places, for a week in a little part of a cineplex, and then it would go who knows where.

“I built [‘Twin Peaks’] to be on the big screen. It will be on a smaller screen, but it’s built for the big screen.

“You want a feature film to play on a big screen with big sound, utilizing all the best technology to make a world. It’s really tough after all that work to not get it in the theater. So I say that cable television is a new art house, and it’s good that it’s here.”

He should try to get more projects on HBO, Showtime etc. to compete with the stuff Netflix and Hulu are producing.  I'm sure he could Kickstart the fuck out of a new idea.  But he's right about Hollywood, movies are seen as a straight investment now that require a substantial return, and franchise / merchandising opportunities.  American corporations run their studios like the mafia.

I'd think he would have zero trouble getting more work on Showtime or HBO. Anything he does is guaranteed a certain sized fanbase. If it's a serial work, I know he's not a fan of binge watching so that eliminates the streaming services (though maybe he could arrange for episodes to come out one at a time? could be an interesting precedent in that environment)

He seems pretty savvy with budgeting so I doubt he'd have trouble securing the money he needs for a feature. (maybe? I know the finance people behind these networks and studios are often pretty unimaginative)

Edit as an aside: his work seems to be treated similarly to Autechre - everyone is confused and agitated when he releases stuff because somehow it doesn't meet their expectations for what they think he should be, then years later they say it's brilliant and pretend like they always thought it was brilliant.

Hulu already releases shows one episode at a time. I can't speak for anyone else, but this just encourages me to wait the 8-10 weeks till the season is over. Not that their original stuff is especially good.

And he doesn't exactly live a healthy lifestyle.

How's that

lots of unprotected sex.

And he doesn't exactly live a healthy lifestyle.

How's that

lots of unprotected sex.

Wait but really? I always figured he was wild in his own ways, especially if his work is any indicator, but he seems to be healthy still for his age. I always thought the idea of him doing mind-altering drugs and having weird sex on the reg was too on-the-nose. Plus all that meditation must help somehow right ?

is david lynch even that good? always seemed super pretentious with limited pay off

Yes he is that good. It's hard to tell if he's actually pretentious or if his legacy has just unavoidably made him come across that way, but since i personally love his films, i try to keep the impression of his art very separate from him as an actual person. As with any (f)artist that comes to be known as "the best", fans can really tarnish their reputation

Archived