Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Live 10

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#51 auxien

auxien

just one thing i wanna know

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts
  • 81 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

yeah one thing i've suggested before in that area is having a sort of 'pallet' of chords available in the piano roll so you can paint a bunch of notes with a single click

I would love it if they added something like this. Now I'm curious how close you can get with Max for Live. But something native would be even better.

MIDI effects have Chords and Scales to help with this, of course...and I'm pretty sure there's some Max For Live devices that do this, though it's not the sort of thing I'm into so I don't have any. Integrated would of course be ideal, but for now...

But yeah, MGF, I was expecting them to implement some instant chords feature like Maschine (and I think MPC Live, and probably other DAWs?) has. As relatively simple as I'd imagine it is, I dunno why it wouldn't be included since it's definitely something geared for "Live" usage.

Was curious so I took a cursory glance. Most look to be paid devices. http://maxforlive.co...s-generator-pro http://maxforlive.co...9/chords-in-key http://maxforlive.co...029/chord-o-mat http://maxforlive.co.../chord-explorer Also, Ableton's own site has Max For Live packs: M4L Essentials pack features the Multi device that has built in chords...and the M4L Building Tools pack contains a few MIDI note manipulation devices that may be useful, most obviously MIDI Chord.

I'm sure there's plenty others out there too, and you all may already use these things, but just in case :)

#52 yek

yek

MIDI received.

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts
  • 746 topics
  • Joined 14-March 02

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

yeah one thing i've suggested before in that area is having a sort of 'pallet' of chords available in the piano roll so you can paint a bunch of notes with a single click

I would love it if they added something like this. Now I'm curious how close you can get with Max for Live. But something native would be even better.

MIDI effects have Chords and Scales to help with this, of course...and I'm pretty sure there's some Max For Live devices that do this, though it's not the sort of thing I'm into so I don't have any. Integrated would of course be ideal, but for now...

But yeah, MGF, I was expecting them to implement some instant chords feature like Maschine (and I think MPC Live, and probably other DAWs?) has. As relatively simple as I'd imagine it is, I dunno why it wouldn't be included since it's definitely something geared for "Live" usage.

Was curious so I took a cursory glance. Most look to be paid devices. http://maxforlive.co...s-generator-pro http://maxforlive.co...9/chords-in-key http://maxforlive.co...029/chord-o-mat http://maxforlive.co.../chord-explorer Also, Ableton's own site has Max For Live packs: M4L Essentials pack features the Multi device that has built in chords...and the M4L Building Tools pack contains a few MIDI note manipulation devices that may be useful, most obviously MIDI Chord.

I'm sure there's plenty others out there too, and you all may already use these things, but just in case :)

i dunno if this is what you mean but if you have a Push you can set the key you want and make proper chords easily.

#53 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

not even going to read the thread lmao but check this out →

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,406 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09
  • PSN:Grill_Vogel

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:37 PM

maybe that's the attitude from ableton then..."yeah you can do this.. but only with max4live and push, baby" 

nah hard to complain, they're great. i know this sounds lame but i actually feel a sense of affection for live as if it were a person, it's such a good piece of software :) i might investigate some device that lets you click a drum pad esque button that turns the cursor into a chord or sequence on the next midi roll you hover over. and i'll make it free :D 

#54 thawkins

thawkins

icelandic musician Lolur Momfat

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • 18 topics
  • Joined 20-June 16
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

maybe that's the attitude from ableton then..."yeah you can do this.. but only with max4live and push, baby" 

It kind of makes sense for me as both a marketing strategy and a technical approach.

Technical, because it makes more sense not to make the base Live product too complex with different features. 

Marketing, because you can make the people who want niche features get M4L for extra €€€.

I don't hold it against them in any way, I think what they're making is a pretty amazing piece of software. If only, I wish they'd open up their Python API so that writing your own scripts wouldn't be so much of a hassle.

Edited by thawkins, 06 November 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#55 yek

yek

MIDI received.

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts
  • 746 topics
  • Joined 14-March 02

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:43 PM

I don't hold it against them in any way, I think what they're making is a pretty amazing piece of software. 

serious though:  remember when it first came out , it was just a dj program. now look at it  :music:

#56 bendish

bendish

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 07-May 15

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:54 PM

Ive been having a go with the beta

editing def better but still a bit clunky....pt or cubase one key zoom horizontal and vertical to clip would be great

the ui seems to have this weird lag in it...a scrolling catch up delay feel...maybe just beta

great to have time stretch in arrange page but would like pitch too perhaps with +- keys

fades - need to be able to control more than one clip at a time

wave synth nice but with serum etc its just a bonus as are effects

#57 guidewire

guidewire

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts
  • 71 topics
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:21 AM

I'm excited for this.  I really can't wait for group midi editing... also the direct mp3 output will smooth things out.  I've been watching all the news about the features and now realize that 9 doesn't have them and already feel a little lost without them. 

This price discussion doesn't make sense to me.  It's packed full of features.  

#58 acid1

acid1

the iniquitous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts
  • 54 topics
  • Joined 20-December 05
  • SoundCloud URL:http://soundcloud.com/acid1
  • PSN:interpolate
  • XBOX360:interpolate1

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

I was on a desert island over the holidays and decided to finally learn Max4Live.

Now I want standalone Max MSP instead.

Has this happened to anyone?

#59 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,406 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

it depends. there are times when i want to use ableton's midi and audio effects and integrate max into songs, and times when i want to use max as a standalone because the ableton side of things becomes unnecessary. so i swing back and forward between them depending on what i'm doing, but i'd never write off max 4 live completely. there are plenty of ableton api functions i want to learn that ultimately would achieve things that would be far more difficult with max alone. 

#60 acid1

acid1

the iniquitous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts
  • 54 topics
  • Joined 20-December 05
  • SoundCloud URL:http://soundcloud.com/acid1
  • PSN:interpolate
  • XBOX360:interpolate1

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

I find the whole M4L API cumbersome. Setting up complex messages to load paths to get live observers or objects and then sending them values etc. However, I'm really not sure there was a better way to do from the developer standpoint.

I'm also not a fan of choosing between a instrument, audio effect, or midi effect every time I launch M4L because I feel like I want to do them all at once and thus usually end up making an audio effect.

Also disappointed I can't send~ and receive~ after falling in love with s and r heh

#61 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,406 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

i agree with the api, and i also don't know what an easier way would look like myself. i need to be able to look into it further, i'm sure there are some good tutorials out there, but it's one area where the built in documentation is a bit lacking. 

i thought in live 10 with better integration of max they might do away with having to choose between audio / midi / instrument, it seems like ableton should be able to figure it out automatically based on the inputs or simply just from a value set in the device's inspector. 

send~ and receive~ might be fixed too, yes. i tend to avoid using global names in case i want to use multiple versions of a device, but there are some times when it is very handy, like forcing audio into a single track.

#62 Belumvreak

Belumvreak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 03-October 17
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/velum-break
  • Interests:Blofeld

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

Looking forward to 10. Integrated m4l will be useful. Lot of interesting/unusual/generally good things you can find or make but it just gets so buggy sometimes. 

The new devices look decent. Distortion was always pants with overdrive and saturator. Drum bus could get good results sharpish if you're going for that sound, probably better on non-drum things though.

Think echo may end up being the one people are most impressed with. The stock delays are really beige except grain delay but then its not a good "classic" delay.

#63 Gocab

Gocab

10K Forum Marathon

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 10-September 09
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/adoomedventure
  • PSN:Rabovenk

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

My body is ready, I'm just bummed it's not out in time for the start of weeklybeats.

#64 Wurstwasser

Wurstwasser

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • 75 topics
  • Joined 28-November 09

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:14 AM

[...]

Edited by Wurstwasser, 05 January 2018 - 07:14 AM.

#65 sheathe

sheathe

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • 57 topics
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

Abowtin wive is my favowite daw

#66 Blank

Blank

Best Mom of the Year

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts
  • 56 topics
  • Joined 08-August 14

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

OwO Abowtin wive is my favowite daw :3 x3

#67 Brian Dance

Brian Dance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 04-July 14

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:29 AM

Anyone been fucking with the beta?

It's pretty tidy.

Multi-clip editing finally and it works real nice like, echo is good, drum bus p good for quick roughing up, editing+nav improvements speed things up (zooming is better but still a bit annoying), capture is handy (been in other DAWs for yonks mind) and new look is pleasant.

£183 still q a lot for the upgrade but probs worth it.

Edited by Brian Dance, 23 January 2018 - 05:33 AM.

#68 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,308 posts
  • 180 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:36 AM

Poised ready for Feb 6th (though I imagine their servers will be hammered and I'll end up grabbing it a day or two after). Spent the time completely getting my default channel & bus chain sorted ready for the A10 migration, rather than playing with the beta as I already have VSTs that do what these new plugins do, but most lost forward to the better m4l integration

#69 DavieAddison

DavieAddison

Kelpius

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • 18 topics
  • Joined 23-September 14
  • PSN:Kelpius

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:57 AM

I've been loving it besides the fact that one of the last betas wiped my settings and mapped folders. The Wavetable synth is one of my favorites to program, especially with the Push 2. There are lots of understated but great refinements too.

Poised ready for Feb 6th (though I imagine their servers will be hammered and I'll end up grabbing it a day or two after). Spent the time completely getting my default channel & bus chain sorted ready for the A10 migration, rather than playing with the beta as I already have VSTs that do what these new plugins do, but most lost forward to the better m4l integration

You're better off grabbing the beta a day or two before release. It will most likely be the same build.

#70 Brian Dance

Brian Dance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 04-July 14

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:00 AM

Not too bothered about the new plugs either.

Multi-clip editing, scroll to zoom and time stretch clips in arrange view are the biggies for me. All stuff that should've been there long ago, hence the apprehension to pay £183 for the upgrade.

#71 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,308 posts
  • 180 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:13 AM

Multi-clip editing, scroll to zoom and time stretch clips in arrange view are the biggies for me. All stuff that should've been there long ago, hence the apprehension to pay £183 for the upgrade.

Ditto - though am actually happy to pay that for the upgrade. There's been a hell of a lot of changes over the 5 years from 9.00 to 9.7.5, and the amount I've used it over that half decade that the 'less than 200 quid' update for several more years of updates seems OK to me (I actually got it during the 'buy v8 now and get v9 for free when released') :happy:

#72 Brian Dance

Brian Dance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 04-July 14

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:38 AM

Fair enough, I suppose it's harsh for me because I only really use it for live sets but thanks to the inclusion of some long needed edit+nav functions and the fact that Elektron Overbridge doesn't work properly in Logic or Renoise it looks like it's going to become DAW of choice for non-commercial work.

Srsly multi midi clip editing is so fricking useful.

#73 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,308 posts
  • 180 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:52 AM

Yeah when I first used Ableton it was just for live things and making tracks from clips/stems of stuff I'd done in a different DAW (Jeskola Buzz). But as I got more and more comfortable with Ableton's workflow I ended up using it exclusively for everything music-wise (well except Reaper which I use for the mastering at the end)

#74 Gocab

Gocab

10K Forum Marathon

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 10-September 09
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/adoomedventure
  • PSN:Rabovenk

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

Same, except I did all my stems in Renoise.

Did they improve any of the mastering stuff in Live 10?

#75 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,308 posts
  • 180 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

Fair enough

That's what I love about this place - Agreement that we may not see eye to eye, but accepting the viewpoint nevertheless. If I'd said the same on KVR I would've had a new hole ripped for having the cheek to disagree with anyone's opinion. They really are an angry bunch !