IGNORED

Live 10

bendish

pretty awesome that this thread is mostly about that video now

until there's something else to talk about, i mean...why not.

also i haven't even upgraded to 10 so i guess i'm :cerious:

Nice how that video targets retarded users

why is everyone suddenly saying retarded the last few days

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they could manage to implement samplitude's object editor into it ableton 10 would be 100% complete and finished daw imo

Playing multiple clips of Audio/MIDI on the same track would be it for me. With MIDI I don't even see a technical hurdle, they could do that tomorrow probably.

If they could manage to implement samplitude's object editor into it ableton 10 would be 100% complete and finished daw imo

Playing multiple clips of Audio/MIDI on the same track would be it for me. With MIDI I don't even see a technical hurdle, they could do that tomorrow probably.

heh yes, that too :) ...i agree, i dont know why would be that hard

I know Reaper allows you to do that but I've always liked the fact they're separate so the routing doesn't get all mixed up. Is there any benefit of having the ability to put audio and midi on the same track ?

I know Reaper allows you to do that but I've always liked the fact they're separate so the routing doesn't get all mixed up. Is there any benefit of having the ability to put audio and midi on the same track ?

I am not thinking audio and midi on the same track, I meant to allow multiple clips playing on the same track. To me the most obvious benefit would be to layer many different drum beats on top of each other without having to create several different tracks to route things around. With audio you could layer things like with a traditional looper except you could fade each individual clip as you like.

Of course you would have to somehow figure out how clip automation goes into all this. :D

I lose the main benefit of the session view in that case, which is essentially instruments in columns, clips in rows. Can't really record new loops into the sampler with the click of a button either.

You can load up to 128 samples in a Drum Rack and play as many as you want at once in a single clip.

That's true, but in a live situation it's a really convoluted way to do it. Like I said, would be nice to just hit a pad on your Push or Launchpad to record a new loop on the same track without having the currently playing loop stop.

You can load up to 128 samples in a Drum Rack and play as many as you want at once in a single clip.

That's true, but in a live situation it's a really convoluted way to do it. Like I said, would be nice to just hit a pad on your Push or Launchpad to record a new loop on the same track without having the currently playing loop stop.

Yeah, I agree that being able to edit a second non-playing clip in the same track on Push could be interesting (it can be done with a mouse + Push, but you're triggering each drum hit as you select it to step sequence via Push) but afaik you're right that it can't be done. It's definitely against the entire idea of Live to allow multiple clips within a single track to play at once, I wouldn't bet on that ever happening. There are ways around that, like I mentioned with 128 sample spots you can edit, mute, solo, etc. via Push on the fly...as well as simply doubling your drum track and swapping between them (the easy way). Not sure why these solutions wouldn't be workable.

Is there any benefit of having the ability to put audio and midi on the same track ?

In Renoise I've done this to experiment, mostly out of laziness  :cisfor: . If you're combining samples (& or vsti) + midi out for hardware control in the same instrument this can be useful for doubling up sounds, quick control of playing everything at the same time using the keyboard. Recording the multi-instrument in one track would mean quick oversight, saving to scroll across tracks to see or edit the different output. I.o.w it can be helpful for layering :) .

Is there any benefit of having the ability to put audio and midi on the same track ?

In Renoise I've done this to experiment, mostly out of laziness  :cisfor: . If you're combining samples (& or vsti) + midi out for hardware control in the same instrument this can be useful for doubling up sounds, quick control of playing everything at the same time using the keyboard. Recording the multi-instrument in one track would mean quick oversight, saving to scroll across tracks to see or edit the different output. I.o.w it can be helpful for layering :) .

I would like a way to combine audio and midi for purely personal reasons as it would mean the note data and resulting audio is kept in more or less the same place. It also feels like it is a good idea to have midi data at hand for any vocoding or key/pitch tracking effects.

Right now I tend to have twice the tracks in Live, same instruments in both MIDI and audio and it feels like a waste of screen real estate, but I don't really see a straightforward way to make things more efficient even if I could tell Ableton what to do.

As for playing multiple clips per track simultaneously, I don't really see how it would go against the entire idea of Live. In my mind the whole visual design of the Session view screams for it and I was actually really surprised that it was not possible to do this when I first started out using Live.

Why would you have the same instrument in midi and audio though... Are you talking about external instruments? Or do you render/freeze your tracks and slap them in a secondary track?

I kind of have a live jamming/looping workflow where I first record a loop in midi, then tweak some parameters and record the loop also in audio. Rinse and repeat a couple of times. Later when I want to work on the thing again, I already have all the necessary midi loops and audio loops so I can mix and match and arrange without having to figure out what the hell I was playing. Having all the midi and audio in the same track would just be a nice way to save space, but its probably hell to manage if you are developing the DAW.

It sucks that I have update to high sierra to use Ableton 10. This constant updating pisses me off 

Anyone use high sierra? Is it alright or buggy?? 

It sucks that I have update to high sierra to use Ableton 10. This constant updating pisses me off 

Anyone use high sierra? Is it alright or buggy?? 

I've been running live10 on el capitan...it's been grrrreat!

I would like a way to combine audio and midi for purely personal reasons as it would mean the note data and resulting audio is kept in more or less the same place. It also feels like it is a good idea to have midi data at hand for any vocoding or key/pitch tracking effects.

Right now I tend to have twice the tracks in Live, same instruments in both MIDI and audio and it feels like a waste of screen real estate, but I don't really see a straightforward way to make things more efficient even if I could tell Ableton what to do.

As for playing multiple clips per track simultaneously, I don't really see how it would go against the entire idea of Live. In my mind the whole visual design of the Session view screams for it and I was actually really surprised that it was not possible to do this when I first started out using Live.

Live is designed to be played live. Each track represents some instrument (or combo of instruments), each clip an instance of that instrument. From one scene to the next, you have multiple tracks playing or not. You understand this. To break the one-clip-playing-per-track rule would mean that each instrument is receiving multiple possibly conflicting instructions at once, which could potentially break the performance, particularly in a live situation. I agree that it could be interesting to break this, but Ableton has obviously chosen not to for what, over 15 years now? Everything about Live is built upon this, I doubt it's changing. I thought it was strange at first too, why couldn't I just play these two clips together? But I can, basically. Just duplicate one, copy and paste the contents of the other into the new clip. Takes less than 10 seconds. Clips are infinite. Scenes are infinite. This is how Live wants to be used, is designed to be used. If you don't work well with that then I guess other DAWs may allow similar to what you want? I'm out of the loop with most of them these days. I try to keep abreast of what else is happening out there with DAWs, would be curious if there's anything like what you're describing.

I know Im changing the subject a bit, but did anyone who updated to high sierra lose any of their stuff? Like plugins or photos, did it reset their daw etc? 

Ive backed up all my stuff using time machine but I've had issues with it in the past. I lost everything and used time machine to reinstate my stuff but for some reason it hadn't backed up everything. Had to reinstall logic, had to reinstall CDP, Lost all my samples for logic. : (

Anyway you get the jist, bit nervey about updating. 

Really don't wanna have to authorise all my plugins again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some Ableton videos with a group I've never heard of, but Ableton always has good videos showing the guts and background work that goes into artists using Live and other things...these two are nice. Some good implementation of technique with the MIDI routing of Send tracks into one another with the click of a button.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived