IGNORED

NAMM 2018 : The thread

d-a-m-o

No doubt you could make great stuff with the Digitone, it's just a lot less exciting than it could'v been...maybe they're holding things back for a flagship digital?

Throw in engines for physical modelling+formant synthesis and I probably would've bitten. As it is I'd go for a cheap Yamaha fm synth+a sequencer for a fraction of the price.

The Quantum and Prologue are sounding pretty impressive, anyone want to start an OTT synth prog band?

1. Surely, yeah. In the right hands I'm sure I'll find it impressive and lust-worthy, but the amount of demos and sounds I've heard out of it at first did not impress me enough for $700. The 'extra' components (MIDI sequencing, effects processing, etc.) would probably make it a solid purchase at that price but...

2. This. Buying an old Yamaha synth instead. And maybe Elektron are looking into those forms of synthesis for a box, but if they can't get the sounds right like it seems to be in this case, then I'll start worrying for them.

3. No, but I've got a band name for you: The Steal Our Gears

personally not interested in this synth, but definitely interested in seeing this synth engine turn up in an expanded form (hopefully along with a few other synthesis methods) in their next full size digital synth. the true sequel to the monomachine, which i expect to be released before the end of the year.

...but talk about unnecessary gimping, the digitone only has 2 note polyphony per track. wtf elektron??! :nope:

Don't think that last point is correct, I think it has 8 voice polyphony? Or am I missing something?

Also I kind of brushed off the PO-35 and the more I thought about how it has a little PO-32 built into it, it almost seems like the ultimate PO.

But a pocket sampler that runs for a month off 2 AAA's is really all I've ever wanted in life. It's like a harmonica for millennials. Maybe I'll just sell all my other gear. It could only improve my music.

Yeah it does look fun! Sell all the other things in your life, in fact. Just be homeless with a PO. What else is there to life???

:emotawesomepm9:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tbf to Cenk and the Elektron heads, experimental/weird sound design isn't really their forte but I would also like to hear someone use it that has some chops. Looking at the synth and checking out its capabilities I'd be surprised if you couldn't churn out some interesting stuff on it. I'm just trying to work out whether it's worth getting if I've already got a MNM? 

edit... Just watched a few videos myself. It's not likely I will be buying one of these but the presets on a DX/MNM aren't amazing either. The Wavefolding/harmonics, the X-Y combination and the editing all tracks at once possiblities are kind of cool though. Look after around 8 mins in the video below for that. 

Yeah, it does look interesting but I don't think it's worth replacing a MNM, definitely a different beast though so maybe to complement it?

I'm quite happy about the Digitone announcement and am looking forward to knowing more.

Besides a delay/reverb box in the style of the Analog Heat, a polyphonic or FM style Elektron were both things I wanted to see them make. The A4 flirted with FM in the LFO section but I never felt like it was enough. P locking a ton of FM modulation is going to be awesome.

I will be pissed if I pick one of these up and they announce a full sized MNM Mk3 including this FM voice later.

Also now I want a want a Digitakt more, the fuckers.

dfam looks like shit for the price to me. makin' money on the name alone

I think it's the type of gear that someone needs to make a jaw dropping demo on. I am hoping that the build/software quality is included in the price tag along with the name though (so years later when I can get it on the cheap it still works).

I think it's the type of gear that someone needs to make a jaw dropping demo on. I am hoping that the build/software quality is included in the price tag along with the name though (so years later when I can get it on the cheap it still works).

Oooh good call. Yeah I could see someone doing some mindblowing stuff with it, although I bet it would really shine with a digital buddy of some sort.

Oooh good call. Yeah I could see someone doing some mindblowing stuff with it, although I bet it would really shine with a digital buddy of some sort.

If you look at the demo video, basically all the artists had cleared out any non-Moog gear that they had on their desks. I am almost willing to bet that the demo sounds they made were also required to be Moog-only, which is fine because after all it was meant to demo only DFAM. But in my opinion the whole point of modular is about combining your modules/gear to drop jaws. Hopefully there'll be someone who does it.

Digitone would probably be a lot of fun, but this announcement mostly makes me want to get a Volca FM and sequence that with a DT or OT. My budget is probably a factor in this mindset too.

I think i might get my first Pocket Operator...

I've always wanted a sampler that is just fucking easy to use. Are there any others out there like the PO33 above? Found Octatrack irritating for loading live samples so I always just add ones that I've collected/made previously. 

SP-series for sure. I can vouch for the SP-202 being a piece of cake and very fun, although having a crap onboard sequencer. I've only played with the 404 once and its effects were nice, but I didn't do anything with the sequencer nor am I sure whether it even had one. The 202 didn't have velocity sensitive pads either so the PO33 is actually more capable in many ways than that was. 

Lets just be happy we can carry on making music as we have been doing with no interuptions.

Oh my, seems like the dudes behind Deckards Dream have/are developing a Polykobol clone :o

This new crop of gear has affected nearly all of us GAS sufferers.

Not revolutionary (nor technically NAMM because Moog didn't show at NAMM) but still, sounding better than any other demo I've heard of it so far, and I've already liked a lot of what I'd heard previously.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived