IGNORED

NAMM 2018 : The thread

d-a-m-o

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol fucking sold out that quick? Goddamn. Looks and sounds good though. I'm very much in the market for an FM Poly right now, so that would've been great but alas who knows when I'd actually get one. Plus way more than I was planning to spend, but I'm sure this would be worth it.

Pretty sure the retailers will have them very soon !

lot's of eurorack goodness coming out. fuck. nebulae v2, malekko quad  lfo, quad envelope, rampage 4 voice drum module etc etc.. 

feel like watching that 'too many cooks' video just now as mental floss. 

anyway.. used market is going to be brisk this year lol..  

Unimpressed by the Digitone at that price point, will be happy if it pushes down MM prices a lil bit though.

au contraire ...imo

DigiBone! Amiright? AMIRIGHT?!

rayd :(

I was done with buying stuff.. but I do need a sampler of some kind, i grabbed the speak because different scales.. tuning... µtonic drums.. this GAS thing really never ends innit  :fail:

with every announce of a new gear im closer to decision to burn everything and just go 100% maxmsp or supercollider  :trashbear:  :catsuicide:

same.. except for a select set of hardware things that i'd die w/o.. but would be ncie to have it all controlled by one environment.. perhaps max.. renoise..

Every bro in the world right now is "getting into making electronic music" i.e. spending obscene amounts of money on gear they barely know how to use so I'm not surprised at all that manufacturers are taking advantage. The gear is cool but I can't help that think that the next really good musician that we all rave about isn't going to use any of this stuff, they'll probably invent their own software and play some entirely new genre that we never knew we wanted with it.

I'm also noticing that the ol' IDM sound is getting a second wave these last couple of years, probably because Elektron and the like are basically IDM machines, letting you do certain things with ease that would take 5x as much time and research back in the day. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm getting sick of hearing fast spastic beats with pretty pads and squelchy bass over them.

the waldorf quantum looks fucking amazing. i would never be able to spend 3000 at once on a synth though, even though ive plugged about 8000 into eurorack over the last 3-4 years. 

with every announce of a new gear im closer to decision to burn everything and just go 100% maxmsp or supercollider  :trashbear:  :catsuicide:

:cry: yup. 

Made some piano stuff earlier and forgot how nice it is to do 'basic' music. Sacrilege I know but I've got too much choice and don't need anymore. 

Lol fucking sold out that quick? Goddamn. Looks and sounds good though. I'm very much in the market for an FM Poly right now, so that would've been great but alas who knows when I'd actually get one. Plus way more than I was planning to spend, but I'm sure this would be worth it.

True....

but, honestly, listening to all the demos now at home on good speakers, my 'sounds good' comment is getting downgraded to a 'sounds alright' so mark that in your opinion ledgers everyone.

The combo of FM poly + MIDI sequencer + Control All + filters + effects could still be a winning combo in the long run, but the sheer blandness of the sounds I'm hearing from ALL the demos is really turning me off. Maybe if I hear some stuff from some better hands creating sounds with it (and not adding a fucking drum track to every goddamned thing) then maybe I'll change my tune.

same.. except for a select set of hardware things that i'd die w/o.. but would be ncie to have it all controlled by one environment.. perhaps max.. renoise..

51UPWwobedL._SX354_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm getting sick of hearing fast spastic beats with pretty pads and squelchy bass over them.

Jeez, what happened to WATMM in the last week? You guys suddenly got all sad and mopey and turned your back on iddems. Where's our IDM superhero peace7 when we need him?

Also I kind of brushed off the PO-35 and the more I thought about how it has a little PO-32 built into it, it almost seems like the ultimate PO.

But a pocket sampler that runs for a month off 2 AAA's is really all I've ever wanted in life. It's like a harmonica for millennials. Maybe I'll just sell all my other gear. It could only improve my music.

this is pretty much what i expected when i heard they trademarked the digitone name: digital synth in the digitakt form factor. was expecting it to have other synthesis methods on board besides fm, tho.

the demos sound... ok. the sounds have a nice smoothness & richness to them, tho i feel they are leaning a bit too much on the overdrive. it's like they are still trying to get that analog sound. i'm not hearing that clear & pristine high end that the monomachine has in spades. i'm also not hearing that high end buzz (so present on autechres Oversteps album) that is one of the coolest things about fm synthesis in my opinion. those weird alien tones. probably just down to the type of audience they are trying to court with their sound examples. showing off the more standard stuff.

personally not interested in this synth, but definitely interested in seeing this synth engine turn up in an expanded form (hopefully along with a few other synthesis methods) in their next full size digital synth. the true sequel to the monomachine, which i expect to be released before the end of the year.

...but talk about unnecessary gimping, the digitone only has 2 note polyphony per track. wtf elektron??! :nope:

True....

but, honestly, listening to all the demos now at home on good speakers, my 'sounds good' comment is getting downgraded to a 'sounds alright' so mark that in your opinion ledgers everyone.

The combo of FM poly + MIDI sequencer + Control All + filters + effects could still be a winning combo in the long run, but the sheer blandness of the sounds I'm hearing from ALL the demos is really turning me off. Maybe if I hear some stuff from some better hands creating sounds with it (and not adding a fucking drum track to every goddamned thing) then maybe I'll change my tune.

tbf to Cenk and the Elektron heads, experimental/weird sound design isn't really their forte but I would also like to hear someone use it that has some chops. Looking at the synth and checking out its capabilities I'd be surprised if you couldn't churn out some interesting stuff on it. I'm just trying to work out whether it's worth getting if I've already got a MNM? 

edit... Just watched a few videos myself. It's not likely I will be buying one of these but the presets on a DX/MNM aren't amazing either. The Wavefolding/harmonics, the X-Y combination and the editing all tracks at once possiblities are kind of cool though. Look after around 8 mins in the video below for that. 

Guest Chesney

Couldn't be more happy with this crop of gear, not peaking any interest at all. Sure the Digitone has some cool features but nothing worth fanning out over. I know the Quantum is going to be immense but I can't justify that price tag even if I think it might be worth it in context. I do hope Waldorf have it nailed before they start taking peoples money as they have a had a rep for abandoning projects.

Lets just be happy we can carry on making music as we have been doing with no interuptions.

No doubt you could make great stuff with the Digitone, it's just a lot less exciting than it could'v been...maybe they're holding things back for a flagship digital?

Throw in engines for physical modelling+formant synthesis and I probably would've bitten. As it is I'd go for a cheap Yamaha fm synth+a sequencer for a fraction of the price.

The Quantum and Prologue are sounding pretty impressive, anyone want to start an OTT synth prog band?

Archived