IGNORED

THE CARETAKER - 'Everywhere at the end of time - Stage Four'

11ls

Fourth in a series of six albums from The Caretaker cataloguing the effects of early-onset dementia. Featuring four extended, smudged and hallucinatory side-long pieces - the darkest and most immersive music from The Caretaker to date.

The Caretaker slips into the first “post awareness” stage of Everywhere At The End of Time. The ability to recall singular memories gives way to confusions and horror; the beginning of a process where all memories begin to become more fluid through entanglements, repetition and rupture.

Leyland Kirby connotes the transitory cognitive breakdown of moderate into severe late stage dementia; memories of the good times are recollected in picnoleptic flashes as the music struggles to follow consistent lines of thought, instead fluctuating between a fractured mosaic of ideas and elusive emotive gestures, still occasionally able to gather coherent thoughts.

In aesthetic, the sieve-like mindstate of stage 4 vacillates a serene sort of psychedelia with utterly paranoid and petrifying mental subsidence. Smudged traces of sublimated musicl hall memories give way to shocking tracts of atonality and discord with runaway logic, perpetually tumbling farther into states of mind perhaps best compared with K-Hole-like dimensions or the babble of after-hours psychonautic journeys.

The concision of previous stages is here replaced with wandering, side-long tracts. Three of those are titled Post Awareness Confusions and correspondingly explore and reflect agitated mindsets as they navigate an ephemeral, confusing complexity of structures. The other piece is called Temporary Bliss State and starkly contrasts the other parts in a coherently lush traverse of ambient crackle and glittering melody…

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, the Mark Fisher piece from lat year is now a free download. CD also at Boomkat.

Where's the download available for the Mark Fisher piece squire?

Did you not get an email from him? Newsletter thing.

Also, the Mark Fisher piece from lat year is now a free download. CD also at Boomkat.

Where's the download available for the Mark Fisher piece squire?

Did you not get an email from him? Newsletter thing.

Note to self.  Move emails from Leyland to focussed mails.  Cheers fella  :emb: 

Good grief. This isn't for the faint-hearted. Seriously uneasy listening. If you've been following the series so far, this is where things really begin to unravel.

Is the compiled release of vols 1-4 on Bandcamp missing some tracks?

I don't think so. What makes you think it is?

Saving this 80 minute + monster until I have finished attempting to digest the autechre broadcast.

Saving it for when the vinyl arrives. Which is killing me, but I'm doing it anyway. :)

Is the compiled release of vols 1-4 on Bandcamp missing some tracks?

I don't think so. What makes you think it is?

edit - nm I think I screwed up the tags or something.

For someone who hasn't heard the previous stages, does it make zero sense to hear this first or can i dive in here when it's more intense without being totally overwhelmed!? Sounds very intense a listen to me.

just finished my first listen of this, is really quite terrifying.. especially if you have been listening to the previous releases for the last year and a half. is a relentless and unpleasant play on your ability to predict what comes next in a track...

a couple of moments the sound suddenly shifts or stops... hearing that late at night in a dark room, almost about to fall asleep really terrified me... wonderful release.

For someone who hasn't heard the previous stages, does it make zero sense to hear this first or can i dive in here when it's more intense without being totally overwhelmed!? Sounds very intense a listen to me.

I think it can be appreciated without the context of the other tracks, but then that feeling of being unable to recall previous tracks is kinda lost... id recommend hearing the first three stages until they are engrained in ur memory then dive in

edit:

the prospect of stage 5 and 6 is concerning

indeed, I can't imagine where it will go from here

Thanks man I'll try the other ones first then. I have an idea of what all this sounds like but I'm not gonna ruin the journey and just start from the first. Surely this demands a huge 6cd box set thing?

Archived