IGNORED

Forum Discussion/Issues

Joyrex

weird blurring on the thread numbers....look blurred/doubled I guess (zoomed in pic) (happens on Edge and Chrome)

speaking of blur, watmm logo atop the site looks a bit blurry now,, maybe more pronounced since everything else looks so clean. ?

watmm numbers.jpg

Does the forum still have that useful feature where if you post a second post within like 5 minutes it'll just combine it with the previous one? I haven't noticed it if it has.

14 hours ago, auxien said:

weird blurring on the thread numbers....look blurred/doubled I guess (zoomed in pic) (happens on Edge and Chrome)

speaking of blur, watmm logo atop the site looks a bit blurry now,, maybe more pronounced since everything else looks so clean. ?

watmm numbers.jpg

I see what you mean... I am assuming this is the 'WATMM After Dark' skin (might be on other skins too) - looks like there is a drop shadow of some sort on the non-active pagination numbers.

Yes, the WATMM logo (which is about to change) has a outer glow applied to it, which is why it looks blurry - I'm hoping I can use an SVG instead of a PNG, but I think I just need to make an @2x version so it will scale correctly on HiDPI screens.

8 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Does the forum still have that useful feature where if you post a second post within like 5 minutes it'll just combine it with the previous one? I haven't noticed it if it has.

Yes it does - the setting is 2 minutes.

Let's see if the new addon fixes the SoundCloud embeds:

YAAAS!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 5:51 AM, Joyrex said:

Eh? What's this then?

I have a tendency to start typing something, have second thoughts, and then leave the page without posting, which didn't used to save the draft.

Now you can come back to the thread, and it keeps that draft to haunt the better person you weren't a few minutes ago...

Edited by OneToThirtySix
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, OneToThirtySix said:

I have a tendency to start typing something, have second thoughts, and then leave the page without posting, which didn't used to save the draft.

Now you can come back to the thread, and it keeps that draft to haunt the better person you weren't a few minutes ago...

Ah, I see - I would think that’s a beneficial feature...

maybe a detail, but i can't help but notice the quite long FOUC [1] appearing whenever i load a watmm page.

there is about 400 kb of css and 750 kb of js loaded in <head>. all of the script tags loads the js synchronously. it may slow down the page rendering, since all scripts must be fetched, parsed and executed before even parsing <body>. maybe loading some scripts not needed at once with `<script src=''.." async>` could solve the issue? or putting some right before </body>. another method to patch the fouc issue is to provide a small inline <style> tag containing a minimal set of needed styles (basic layout, resets, colors, empty/placeholder styling) for the page on load time. this inline stylesheet is applied immediately, so the flashing effect is reduced when the rest of styles are applied.

Screenshot (13).png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, htor said:

maybe a detail, but i can't help but notice the quite long FOUC [1] appearing whenever i load a watmm page.

there is about 400 kb of css and 750 kb of js loaded in <head>. all of the script tags loads the js synchronously. it may slow down the page rendering, since all scripts must be fetched, parsed and executed before even parsing <body>. maybe loading some scripts not needed at once with `<script src=''.." async>` could solve the issue? or putting some right before </body>. another method to patch the fouc issue is to provide a small inline <style> tag containing a minimal set of needed styles (basic layout, resets, colors, empty/placeholder styling) for the page on load time. this inline stylesheet is applied immediately, so the flashing effect is reduced when the rest of styles are applied.

Screenshot (13).png

Solution: Use a standard browser like Chrome - I cannot ever remember seeing FOUC (Flash of unstyled content, which is what @htor is showing in his screenshot, where all the supporting scripts are still loading while the HTML that makes up the page has already loaded) since the forum upgrade, or prior for that matter - all joking aside about Firefox, could it be your settings (are you forcing no cache, although so am I), or possibly the quality of your internet connection (I see you're on wireless).

There are some optimizations I can do, but for the core scripts that drive the forum, that is more under the vendor's control. I'm pretty active on the vendor's support forums, and I don't recall seeing any other users reporting this issue. Thanks for the helpful suggestions though in potentially solving it! I think the 'skeleton' loading method is best to handle FOUC for script-heavy apps like this from a user experience perspective.

1 hour ago, hello spiral said:

suggestion: make me mod

Today's forecast for Hell, lower ninth circle district: Hot, no signs of any hard freezes happening anytime soon :dadjoke:

18 minutes ago, OneToThirtySix said:

Am now concerned about the future of my rep rating.

?

I think your rep might be locked in at +1! I can't "like" your posts for some reason.

I'm not sure why but some users I can't add reacts to. =/

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, StephenG said:

I think your rep might be locked in at +1! I can't "like" your posts for some reason.

So you don't see the button at all on some users, but yet others? Can you screenshot some examples?

1 minute ago, StephenG said:

Weird, I can react to yours... 

edit: rex already saw it.

Edited by OneToThirtySix

Just now, Joyrex said:

Weirdly enough, I can't rep you either!

No complaints if I'm permanently number 1. ?

Unrelated: Is there a way to link the pop-up notifications to affect the notifications icon? I've clicked the pop-ups to redirect to the thread indicated, but it leaves the notice on the icon until I click it. Probably a personal preference, but effectively doing the same thing twice to clear notifications is a thing.

1 minute ago, OneToThirtySix said:

No complaints if I'm permanently number 1. ?

Unrelated: Is there a way to link the pop-up notifications to affect the notifications icon? I've clicked the pop-ups to redirect to the thread indicated, but it leaves the notice on the icon until I click it. Probably a personal preference, but effectively doing the same thing twice to clear notifications is a thing.

Yeah, that's unfortunately something I noticed too (it's a default feature). No way that I know of to "turn off" the notification icon if you've already responded to a notification.

I'm looking into why you cannot be repped, as I suspect this affects others as well.

• Like 1

I figured it out - because you had subscribed to EKT Plus and downloaded our compilation, WATMM Volume 1, it put you into a secondary group (so you could digitally download the compilation). That group was excluded from receiving reputation/reactions, and I guess that secondary group permission bubbled up to your primary group permission and took the route of least privilege.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

So you don't see the button at all on some users, but yet others? Can you screenshot some examples?

Some users yes the react button is missing. Did you change something though? I can react to him now at least! 

Just saw your response! 

Edited by StephenG
  • Burger 1