IGNORED

3 Vibert albums forthcoming

Velazquez

22 minutes ago, Velazquez said:

did you get the record already? Rave Hop  I cant wait for that one.  

Mine all showed up together, all 3 records - I believe it was 2 weeks ago!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to hear something of substance about how this one is better. Rave Hop has grown on me a lot, but it's still striking me as a little too bare bones. Modern Rave had much more dynamic, erm, acrobatic, for lack of a better word, and funner moments. Rave Hop is kind of just beats and samples. Where are the bass lines?! Bass lines seem a little underdeveloped to me. My ranking of the series hasn't changed. Not saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong, not even saying Rave Hop isn't great (it is). Just that it ranks third in the series, FOR ME!

*acrobatics ^

(I've long felt like I'm getting something different out of Vibert than everybody else is. I can't really explain it beyond that. I guess it's a good thing he offers a little bit of something for everybody.) (Truth is, I generally loathe electronic music. I'm a rock guy. I've made an exception since discovering Vibert in '97. He makes the funnest, most creative, most human electronic music, IMO.) (I think I may have gone off on a tangent there, maybe?) (Fuck me!)

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

Whew! Really glad I never said it didn't have any bass lines now. But, really happy someone felt comfortable responding to the critique after listening to only one song. Fills me with hope for the future.

On 8/1/2020 at 3:55 PM, Snickerfritz said:

I'd love to hear something of substance about how this one is better. Rave Hop has grown on me a lot, but it's still striking me as a little too bare bones. Modern Rave had much more dynamic, erm, acrobatic, for lack of a better word, and funner moments. Rave Hop is kind of just beats and samples. Where are the bass lines?! Bass lines seem a little underdeveloped to me. My ranking of the series hasn't changed. Not saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong, not even saying Rave Hop isn't great (it is). Just that it ranks third in the series, FOR ME!

For me, I like it better due to feeling more like what Luke is good at doing it. I don't know why, but the last two felt a bit like a bare minimum of the good stuff he can do, the samples were fun but kinda felt odd at points (Beef's production in general is strange and is definitely one of his not as well executed tracks for me). I love Rave Hop's execution a bit better since it gives me some vibes of some of my favorite work of his (back in his Wagon Christ days).

Don't worry about giving different thoughts though. We all understand and respectful about it man <33

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 6:55 PM, Snickerfritz said:

I'll indulge you.  I love the shit out of the AA album, it's so solid on all levels - but i hear you you don't like the amen break so let's narrow in on Modern Rave vs Rave Hop.  I like MR, whilst I love RH... why_ I Love all but 3 tracks on RH whilst MR has only 4 essential tracks IMO  The bass lines on MR might be stronger- see Groovy Break but damn the drums on No Competition sounds so thick also the edits/samples  on Pay attention, Thu R Ears, Lover and Brain Rush- woah  i think the tempo is more in line with a Wagon Christ album here on Rave Hop where Luke's natural swagger is so evident.  
Speaking of basslines- is it me or does Luke have the dopest bass lines ever and only getting better?

All in all it's like picking your favorite child, honestly all this Vibert has made 2020 endurable, thank god for these releases. and ..also Luke, damn dude has so much talent releasing 100 odd tunes in 8 months.  I hope there's more to come. 

Edited by Velazquez
spelling
  • Like 1

Couple of great responses there, fellas (I presume?). Thanks! ? Our opinions just differ, and that's fine, but I'm glad to know you're basing your opinion on something other than, "Squeeeeee!"

Edited by Snickerfritz

15 hours ago, Velazquez said:

Speaking of basslines- is it me or does Luke have the dopest bass lines ever and only getting better?

I've long felt that Luke is probably the best bassist who never touches an actual bass (yes, I'm aware he got his start as a bassist)!

More about his bassing. I know a lot of them are synthetic bass lines, but I think he must also mine recorded music and harvest bass lines that way too. Similar to the way drum breaks work. Bass breaks?

4 hours ago, Snickerfritz said:

More about his bassing. I know a lot of them are synthetic bass lines, but I think he must also mine recorded music and harvest bass lines that way too. Similar to the way drum breaks work. Bass breaks?

Yeah I think there are some samples with bass, here and there but yeah his own programming/ playing is amazing especially in tracks like "Righteous Red Beret"remix

On 8/3/2020 at 10:35 PM, Snickerfritz said:

I've long felt that Luke is probably the best bassist who never touches an actual bass (yes, I'm aware he got his start as a bassist)!

He was a  drummer in the punk band he used to be in, not a bassist.

I made a mix CD of my favorites from the series for the car. Flows well, fits perfectly on a blank CD.

Music

The Music

Pump

Ready

U Can't Touch Dat

Sky's The Limit

Hot Fingers

Acid

Feel One

No Competition

Groovy Break

Session

Numbas

Brain Rush

Everybody

Styles

Better Forward

Power Blast

(Not sure why everything is double spaced, but I couldn't seem to do anything about it.)

Edited by Snickerfritz

Rave Hop is growing on like a motherfucker

TBQH it's endearing how much mileage Luke gets from some of his choice samples, seriously 15-20% of this album is sourced from stuff(ffffff) he's already sampled on previous trax.  P sure he's got 20-30 odd of em with this 'watch yr bassbins' sample and that's just alright with me

Related, arguably best artist subforum post of all tiem from LUDD

On 11/20/2008 at 7:52 PM, perunamuusi said:

OMFG ELECTRONIC MUSC PRODUCER USES FAMOUS BREAKS