IGNORED

Affordable alternative to TR-707

Berk

23 minutes ago, mause said:

thats ridiculous, surely theres an affordable psu out there somewhere! i think the r5 used the same one, might be worth lookin for one of those

http://theinstrumentcenter.com/product_info.php?products_id=230353

Thanks Maus. I tried that site but the international cart doesn't appear to work. ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TheBro said:

Thanks Maus. I tried that site but the international cart doesn't appear to work. ?

aw shit thats a shame, i guess save the search on ebay and play the ol waiting game..that what im doing with my Uher report tape machine..ONE DAY a psu for that will show up for less than a small car

Just now, mause said:

aw shit thats a shame, i guess save the search on ebay and play the ol waiting game..that what im doing with my Uher report tape machine..ONE DAY a psu for that will show up for less than a small car

I think I'll message them to find out what's going on!!

Tr8s at 600 euros first hand and 500 second is a lil steep.

I see 626 is going for about 180, but I think it sounds a bit too rock for me and not enough Chicago house

Do you need the sequencer or just the sounds? If it's just the sounds then the cheapest alternative is using your already owned computer, something like this  https://decomposer.de/sitala/ and a midi interface if you're hardware based, second cheapest is grabbing the cheapest second hand sampler you can find and loading up some 707 samples.

6 hours ago, Berk said:

Tr8s at 600 euros first hand and 500 second is a lil steep.

I see 626 is going for about 180, but I think it sounds a bit too rock for me and not enough Chicago house

You should be able to get Roland TR8s for £300. Sorry but if someone is trying to fob off a drum machine that isn't even vintage for near retail price then you should tell them where to go lol.

Also I noticed quite a few 626s on eBay so I'm sure you shouldn't have to fork out £180 for one. I would say I was bit too much bargain hunting and passed one that I could have picked up one for £130. That's what I'm prepared to pay max. Happy hunting anyways!! ?

If you're feeling spicy, here's a video on designing a simple, bipolar, linear power supply for audio use from scratch:

Meant for power amps and stuff, but you could scale it down.

EDIT: did my previous post get deleted or something?  This was a followup to a longer post with a bunch of links to affordable, 12v bipolar power supplies that could be easily modified for 10v, and connectors that were good candidates for replacing the original one on the 707.

Now it's gone.

On 8/18/2020 at 11:40 AM, Gocab said:

Do you need the sequencer or just the sounds? If it's just the sounds then the cheapest alternative is using your already owned computer, something like this  https://decomposer.de/sitala/ and a midi interface if you're hardware based, second cheapest is grabbing the cheapest second hand sampler you can find and loading up some 707 samples.

this seems like the best option for me, just a standalone drum plug,. unfortunately I couldn't find a way to change the MIDI channel. so I had to load it up in ableton, and then got the cunting midi lag again. i probably should get a new interface at some point too. got an old edirol ua20 that's not even supported by win10 anymore lolz

been checking out the dr550/660/770 series but alas they don't have 707 samples afaik. pretty nice prices to those machines otherwise

3 minutes ago, Berk said:

this seems like the best option for me, just a standalone drum plug,. unfortunately I couldn't find a way to change the MIDI channel. so I had to load it up in ableton, and then got the cunting midi lag again. i probably should get a new interface at some point too. got an old edirol ua20 that's not even supported by win10 anymore lolz

been checking out the dr550/660/770 series but alas they don't have 707 samples afaik. pretty nice prices to those machines otherwise

damn, that sucks. It such a basic thing to implement for the developer.

Surprised nobody mentioned this here as a way to extend your 707? https://hkadesign.org.uk/tr707expansion.html

I sold mine 2 years ago but starting to regret it. 707 was my first ever piece of hardware and I got and sold several drum machines since. None of them could beat the simplicity of the 707 with it's little onboard mixer.

Reason I sold it is cause I just got bored of the sounds after using it for 9 years and it didn't sound "pumping" enough for me (something I can definitely say of my drumbrute impact). But interface-wise I think it's the best of all and that new extension could have taken care of my tiredness with the sound-set. Oh well...

• 2 weeks later...

A Digitakt costs about the same as a decent 707.

Which one is a better value is a whole different question.

EDIT: or if you don't mind some scuffs and have the money to burn, there's a 707 with one fader cap and the battery door missing for $400 on eBay USA right now (no international shipping but it's still a more realistic price, for better or worse).

20 hours ago, sheatheman said:

Digitakt or model samples

Model samples looks pretty nice, shame about the lack of individual outs. But will definitely consider this one thx

Also saw akai mpx16. But apparently it has a bug (or is it design?) Which causes it to always be on omni (midi in wise), so yes it's fucking useless lol

Would be awesome otherwise, about 150euros

• 3 weeks later...

Update: 

I ordered a volca sample. What pushed me away from it at first, is that it seemed that you could only load samples from iphone. But there are 3rd party apps. There's a windows desktop app even. Got the volca for less than 115 euro. I think this thing is worth a shot considering it can do what I wanted in this thread and more. 

For the rush, the adaptation and the general backwardness of the act. Peace out

1 hour ago, modey said:

@Berkdid you get the new one? It has a USB port now for sample transfer. 

Even the original one seems pretty great though, especially with the third party editors available. 

I got the old one. Yeah transferring samples is kind of a pain but doable with the original one. The newer one has somewhat better sequencer options like (easy) pattern chaining too. But the price difference was a bit too much for me.

I think there is also unofficial firmware that gives the VS better midi implementation so gonna check that out maybe. Could possibly use it as a sound module to make more complex sequences.

2 hours ago, modey said:

@Berkdid you get the new one? It has a USB port now for sample transfer. 

Even the original one seems pretty great though, especially with the third party editors available. 

I got the old one. Yeah transferring samples is kind of a pain but doable with the original one. The newer one has somewhat better sequencer options like (easy) pattern chaining too. But the price difference was a bit too much for me.

I think there is also unofficial firmware that gives the VS better midi implementation so gonna check that out maybe. Could possibly use it as a sound module to make more complex sequences.

https://ranzee.com/volca-sample-unofficial-firmware/

Thread is already solved, Volca sample seems to be the cheapest solution. The Elektron Model: samples also seems like a good deal at current prices

Anyhow, if you are OK with a Roger Linn developed MPC-like sequencer, there's always

img5c5280c584e32_l.jpg

Even that's not super cheap anymore, but it's still a better value than most modern drum machines in the same price range. A 660 is cheaper and has a nice crunchiness to the sound (actually my favorite digital drum machine in terms of sound) but the 770 has more 80s Roland samples in it

Archived